Era Accurate Discussion by Kochampftt

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Kochampftt, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

Hail Sosarians!

Okay, so the further I venture into the server, the deeper I delve into the land that in Sosaria I am noticing a few things that seem a bit off to me. Someone please correct me in any of the things that are wrong.

1. I've noticed that there are houses on the North Eastern side of the Brit mountain pass, I may be wrong but I believe that is within town limits, the part I know I'm not wrong about is that I am SURE houses weren't allowed there in the Renaissance era. This is no big deal, just kinda knit picking at it.

2. Kirin and Unicorn not tameable and therefore can't be used as mounts? From what I have been told, they only spawn during a certain champ spawn? First off, this is a little upsetting as Kirin were my favorite mounts, second I know they had spawning locations outside of champ spawns as they were around LONG before champs were ever brought into the game. I can't see any reason why Kirin and Unicorn could harm any part of the game's "perfection" or its population and therefore it brings me to wonder why they aren't as was?

3. Many have mentioned it, heck it has its own post, but apparently war axes are not of the Armsmen((mace fighting)) type? Very weird....

Again, most of this is knit picking, however, as I am sure many were, I am just very thrown aback when I see things out of order, it is scary not only because EA did it but because there are so many servers/shards that claim to be "Era accurate" then you get on them and the next thing you see is a neon beam of light known as something I can't say running by with an elf on it..... The shard is great thus far, just kinda wondering whats up on a few things is all. I loved the game as was.

Kochampftt-Decloud Master
  2. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

3. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

ReZon trust me, it has been made VERY clear to me about the Era accuracy < Era/s perfected argument. However, many of the things I have mentioned or asked about before this post had some sort of outlying factors that were apparently deemed as harmful to the populace of the server or the game itself. The things I have mentioned above however, to my knowledge, would/could have no negative factors to play towards the losing or separation of players here.
  4. boothby

boothby Well-Known Member

According to UO Guide, Ki-Rin's were introduced during Third Dawn
    Huzke likes this.
  5. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

Okay here is something for everyone, as well as you Boothby, this is from Publish 14, before Third dawn,

"
    • Unicorns and Kirin will now consume normal fruit provided by player"

link-http://www.uoguide.com/Publish_14

Okay so that link is actually after the release of Third Dawn, however it is talking about changes AFTER the 3d models were implemented. I am having trouble finding a date of release for Kirin and Unicorn but I will keep searching for the fact.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  6. boothby

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here as the 3D client was released with Third Dawn.
  7. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

We don't have an issue with these mounts down the road, however with the unicorns the neon white hue would need to be addressed if we were to introduce them as a viable mount.

Like Rezon mentioned we have a process when reviewing each item/mechanic for addition.

1. How did the item function on 11/23/1999.
    2. If this is unknown, how does it function in the UO Demo. (08/1998 OSI Code)
    3. What patch notes show the item changing from 1999 to 2002 or later.
    4. What effect did trammel have on this item.
    5. Is this a balanced and functional mechanic that suits the overall goal of Renaissance?
    6. What changes or improvements can be made which retain the classic feel of the Renaissance era, while addressing the flaws in the item.

Renaissance is technically a publish 1 server, with additions from later publishes that were applicable for the Felucca ruleset.

Lightshade just started a new discussion on T2A spawns that could go along with the addition of these mounts down the road.
    http://uorforum.com/threads/overland-spawns.4557/#post-32784

This could be an opportunity to provide additional content, trade, and out of town hunting for the players as well.

Note: Creature spawns linked to champion spawns are not tamable.
    Huzke likes this.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I use a war axe on my macer all the time and it hits just fine. If the lack of stamina drain is your concern, yes, there's a thread about it, so why bring it up AGAIN? It is known! :p

Also: Please, for the love of Britannia, no beetles, ever.

Thank you :p
  9. Philthie

Philthie Member

I have no idea when renaissance was as I don't think kirin or Unicorns were ever in the game when I originally played it. I didn't think I left until after it was Trammelized though which is weird.
  10. Lethius

Lethius Member

Ripped this from Wikipedia.

Expansions
    Expansions have been released regularly, all of which add new content in the form of landmass, art, quests, items, or game mechanics.

• Ultima Online: The Second Age (1 October 1998) featured a new area of land called the Lost Lands, along with an in-game chat system and new creatures. Also known as T2A. It was released in two boxed versions with the first having different artwork and a single manual.
    • Ultima Online: Renaissance (4 May 2000) doubled the size of the world, as there were literally two copies of it. The worlds were called Felucca and Trammel, after the two moons in Ultima's Britannia world. The Trammel world did not allow player killing and was geared towards fighting monsters. Felucca also adopted a darker, more foreboding look and kept its player vs player roots.
    • Ultima Online: Third Dawn (7 March 2001) included a 3D client to compete with 3D competition like EverQuest. Also, a special Third Dawn only land was created, called Ilshenar. It was accessible only to 3D clients until the release of Lord Blackthorn's Revenge.
    • Ultima Online: Lord Blackthorn's Revenge (24 February 2002) brought "a dark new world based on new characters from Todd McFarlane" to Ultima Online with improved game artificial intelligence, in-game help, and improved character creation.
    • Ultima Online: Age of Shadows (11 February 2003) brought the landmass of Malas with space for new housing, two new character classes (Paladin and Necromancer) and the ability to customize house designs. The item system was completely reworked with this expansion. Armor resistance was split into five types of resistance, and many new properties that affected game play were added to weaponry. As good equipment became vital, this expansion also brought with it item insurance. Subscriptions reached a peak of over 250,000 accounts following the release.[24]
    • Ultima Online: Samurai Empire (2 November 2004) brought ancient Japanese mythology and folklore to the game, two new classes (Ninja and Samurai) and a new area to explore, the Tokuno Islands. The new class skills shifted the balance of player vs. player combat away from mage dominance.
    • Ultima Online: Mondain's Legacy (30 August 2005) introduced a new race, elves, and a new skill, spellweaving. Several dungeons were also added.
    • Ultima Online: Stygian Abyss (8 September 2009) featured a new playable race, the Gargoyle; additional play areas; and three new skills: imbuing, throwing, and mysticism.[25] Stygian Abyss also featured significant upgrades to the Kingdom Reborn client, which has been renamed to the Enhanced Client. The original client is still supported.[26]
  11. Lethius

Lethius Member

Those dung beetles rolled in a big ball of you-know-what ... aka Samurai Empire!
  12. Lethius

Lethius Member

I liked Ilshenar, though the 3D client was just a mess. Ilshenar was an interesting place to hunt. Cool dungeons. Nifty spots.

Everything after that was not good.
    boothby likes this.
  13. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  14. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

• Ultima Online: Third Dawn (7 March 2001) included a 3D client to compete with 3D competition like EverQuest. Also, a special Third Dawn only land was created, called Ilshenar. It was accessible only to 3D clients until the release of Lord Blackthorn's Revenge.

This is what I mean Boothby, what I was trying to say is that the quote from publish 14 was after the Kirin and Unicorns 3d models, meaning they were actually in the game long before that and were just being changed a bit.

And Chris, I'm uncertain what you mean about the Unicorns hue, I mean I know that hue is equal to color, but I'm not sure why it's 2d color would be any issue for anyone, it's just an OFF white mount, NOT the ice white or whatever that color was called.

@Blaise-hell no to beetles, swamp dragons, or any of those crazy things. Kirin and Unicorn are a different story though, and don't imbalance anything because they are actually a bit weaker than nightmares in their own ways and useages.
  15. boothby

I still don't understand...According to what I've read, Ki-Rin's were introduced with and only found in Ilshnear (Publish 11, March 2001).
    Ningauble likes this.
  16. Gideon Jura

17. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

Okay so I am certain that I was with a friend who tamed Kirin somewhere other than Ilshcraphole. May I see what it is you've read? I can't find anything stating when they were actually introduced so everything I am viewing is changes to them that they made in different publishes.
  18. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

19. Gideon Jura

20. Lethius

Lethius Member

Unicorns... fine, so long as they are equal or weaker than mares - in that regard it is simply different art for a similar pet. My personal opinion was that kirin were fugly.