Faction Scrolls

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Tater Salad, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

http://www.uoguide.com/Publish_8

Thoughts?
  2. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Interesting, by default this feature of faction-crafting appears to be completely inactive. I personally don't see any issue with allowing the ability to faction-craft spell-staves that can be enchanted with spell properties at the cost of faction silver. You will still have to meet the skill requirements to create the item as well, of course.

In addition to that, it also appears that spell-wands (wands only, not staves) are the only weapon or piece of equipment in general that is eligible of having any type of spell enchantment bestowed upon them. This will also need to be addressed before the ability to utilize faction scrolls will be possible.

I will bring this topic to the table of discussion amongst the administration, thanks for the report.
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This sounds totally sweet. I'm trying not too be partial because I run a faction macer. ;)

Also, providing this was based on the same functional level of the wands, in regards to 60 Magery/0 Eval or whatever it is, it shouldn't be an OP thing.
  4. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

What I don't like about this is I think it lowers the skill ceiling overall in pvp. I'm a bit of a purist here but I've always felt like wands only made sense to me if they rooted the user in place as if they were casting the spell the proper way. Now the types of players that use wands would immediately have no desire to use one if that was the case, I'm aware, but let me explain.

When healing through magery you can heal a lot of health quickly. You do so at the cost of regs and mana, but what you risk even more is you risk interruption and you have to stand still for a certain amount of time. That's where the skill comes in. You need timing and experience when making that decision. Of course in the case of healing with bandages you gain the mobility you want but at the cost of time. There's a certain skill and timing and experience involved with that as well. For that matter I think the best dexer templates have magery and make the same decisions about when to cast gheal and when to run while a bandage is applying and when to press their attack.

Then there's heal potions, which you all know there is a cooldown on. That cooldown is specifically to maintain the balance of the above system. If the cooldown on greater heal potions was removed, would everyone still think that was good for pvp? What's the difference between that and wands? None in my book outside farming up or buying wands which should never really be a major consideration in balance.

I feel the same way about lightning/fireball wands. While I was always fascinated with the asian style of pvp that involved loading down with a hundred potions and having a ton of wands, I always felt like those guys were straight up garbage at pvp even though logging into their shards and watching them duel was pretty entertaining. I think a player should have to stand still for the appropriate amount of time to fire a lightning on you. Otherwise what's to stop a guy from kiting a dexer or just player indefinitely as long as he has a wand with charges on it? The amount of charges on a guy's wand shouldn't ever be what determines when a fight ends or how long it lasts.

I'm not asking that wands be removed from the game, they've always been in the game and that's fine. Even though I think they take away from the balance the spellbook creates I've never had a complaint about playing against them. But I don't think that making it possible for faction players to craft them will make pvp a more fun or interesting experience.
  5. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Yeah this idea is lost now that wands are poop anyway. But it looked like it was fun.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Did they make a change to wands?