Faction Towns and respective functions

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Blaise, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

It occurs to me that Yew is the only Faction town without a blacksmith. I proposed to Telamon that one be created in the building west of Yew proper, coordinates: 455 966 0

Alternatively, I think Buccaneer's Den would be a far more suitable town for the Yew sigil (clearly needing a rename, if moved). It's far less expansive and would bring new activity to the town. Having a moongate so close may be an issue, but I'd love to hear more thoughts on it.

Any other concerns or ideas in regards to which towns are involved and in which ways? I'm assuming we'll want to check for tailor shops as well but I haven't gotten that far. :)
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Why Yew No Have Blacksmith?
  3. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

+1 on bucs getting a sigil.
  4. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor
    Renaissance Volunteers

Yew does not have a tailor shop either

PS where can I find information regarding Faction Vendors & why a faction cannot set prices?
  5. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

You can ask me. And factions can not jack up town prices for a reason. That reason is to keep people who do not want to play factions, unaffected by them. If we could jack up Britain prices by 300%, think of how that would effect all of the new players who start up there. I do know that there was supposed to be some sort of system put in place of that one, but I don't believe anything was ever decided on. I'm sure Telamon would love to hear some brainstorming ideas in another thread if somebody is up to making one.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

We're likely to have another Faction Chat soon wherein we all get into a channel in IRC with other factioners and kind of braindump ideas and see if we can come up with some improvements to the system.
  7. LanDarr

Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor
    Renaissance Volunteers

I agree there is a huge economic impact when you have the ability to jack up a town's NPC prices for all.... That I would not want at all.

Specifically I was looking at Faction Vendors.. If there is no ability to adjust the prices on these guys, then why do Faction Commanders keep placing them? I get the desire for a horse breeder.. got have the cool pony...

Or is there some advantage I am not aware of.... just looking for information before I offer any suggestions or opinions :)
  8. HateCrime

Town Ministers place the vendors. People place them to block in guards at times, and as you stated for the mount vendors. If you place the reg/bottle vendors cleverly in towns, you can put them right at a bank or house and farm those for your own personal supply. For instance, I could (if i choose) place all those vendors 2 tiles behind my keep in Vesper. I could farm them from the safety of my own home.
  9. LanDarr

Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor
    Renaissance Volunteers

Thanks HateCrime...

If I was in the Bulk Reg business for example and in factions, a properly placed Faction Reg vendor allows me to run him up and buy up bulk regs in relative safety... It would also limit my competition for the regs on that vendor since they are only open for business for the faction that placed them.

Now if the price was just one gold lower than normal Mage Guild Price, the bulk reg business might be worth getting into !
  10. HateCrime

Agreed. Faction vendor prices need to be lower. Right now there is next to no reason to control a town, or use the vendors. Small perks like that really help out and make you want to control a city.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

While I can understand the desires there, I'm afraid of turning Factions into a hot mess by doing so. If there's significant financial gain to be had through bulk purchases, etc, it will get exploited.
    I'm much more in favor of activity + town control = platinum for the the members. Several factors would have to be involved such as time spent in the stronghold during corruption, time spent running sigs, enemy kills, traps sprung etc, would all play into 'activity' in some way or another.
  12. HateCrime

Im all for platinum as well. However faction vendors are normally reserved for higher ranking members, preventing anybody and everybody from joining to farm them. The same goes for riding faction mounts. You originally needed to achieve a specific ranking prior to being able to use one. It was a sign of a halfway skilled player back in the day.
  13. LanDarr

Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor
    Renaissance Volunteers

Silver NOT Platinum... lets not mix and match our reward systems....

Create Faction related rewards for Silver Purchase if need be
  14. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

This turned into a general faction discussion lol..

I don't see why Yew needs to be moved, but either way it doesn't effect much.

Faction vendors need to have a slight buff to having them. I did all my reg shopping for the next 6 months a couple weeks ago with a house placed on a town border and 3 vendors sitting on the walls. For the next 6 months I could care less about owning a town other than the chance it might bring a fight every few nights.. Seeing a minimum rank restriction to using faction vendors would be great. Seeing the war horse restriction re-instated would be awesome.

I really think you should be required to achieve a certain rank to be able to do certain things in factions. I don't think you should be able to join a character into factions without having 500+ skill points. Faction mules/thiefs with negative kill points shouldn't be able to place/remove traps or steal sigils. Faction loyalty should be 3 per IP, not 1 per account. I've seen kill logs of faction guys killing their alts for points and this will be more abundant once points mean something.

Right now there is no benefit to factions other than it brings pvp once in a while. If you camp sigils all day/night long and are in the faction stronghold when they corrupt a platinum drop would create the need to sit and guard them. Look at champion spawns, some can take 4+ hours for a handful of platinum. Sigil guarding takes 7+ hours with little benefit. 1 plat per sigil corrupted for every factioneer in the base at the moment the sigil corrupts.
  15. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I've always thought of platinum as a reward given to players who commit a certain amount of time/effort to almost every aspect of this game. Excluding PvP.

Adding plat rewards to this aspect of PvP seems fair considering the time and effort it costs to guard sigils.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yew should be moved because it sucks as a town and has no Blacksmith. Add one, and it's no longer an issue.

The rest of your comments are definitely general faction related. The benefit of town control is being able to put resource vendors at banks/near homes so you can pump resources 10x easier than any other player. Not only that, the vendors start with a larger inventory making it even easier to pump them. This is a serious benefit and anyone denying it is ignoring it.

The real point should be to have a consensual system of combat with an objective. Having a very small rate of platinum distribution for incentive would get more people involved.

LanDarr, silver is far too easy to farm and I'd rather not see a 'reward' system built around it like platinum. It should remain as faction currency for faction functions only (traps, runics, etc).
  17. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

A benefit you only really need to use once every few months. So is this really a benefit? Are you really going to say to your guild, "ok guys we really need to rally and capture these towns because I need to buy some regs"

It's a perk. It's not a "serious benefit." I can do just fine recalling to every mage shop to buy regs; faction vendors are just less annoying, although require some (at times) serious pvp to obtain.
  18. LanDarr

Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor
    Renaissance Volunteers

Agreed that there is a current benefit with the Faction Vendor system and I just might join Factions for that reason alone. Right now it takes a lot of time hopping around to grab up regs just to resell at minimal markup.

I originally got into this conversation to find out more about factions before venturing any opinions, but I ignored that and said "Silver NOT Plat". While not retracting that statement, I will think on it more. Right now it just "feels" wrong. Your point about farming silver is easy makes my suggestion of adding silver based rewards untenable and will need more thought. As most know, the key to a good reward system is one that's fair, worth the effort it takes to achieve it and free from exploitation.

If faction based items must be crafted in a faction town controlled by the faction of the craftsman making the item, then Yew in its current configuration doesn't seem fit to be a faction town. Why doesn't it have a blacksmith shop? Why doesn't it have a tailor shop? I think I know why not a tailor shop... its the sheep pens. In OSI days and other freeshards, its too close to the raw materials. However here, aren't the Tailor vendors customized to NOT buy cloth?

Anyways.. good conversation...
  19. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

This is precisely why I suggest that a minimum rank be achieved before vendors can be used. This prevents anybody from just joining a faction to buy regs and quitting 7 days later.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Not if one or more of your members are in the business of dealing reagents or resources on their personal player vendors.