First farming options

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Ikibahd, May 2, 2017.

1. Ikibahd

Ikibahd Active Member

Hey guys! So I finally decided to make a tamer and have been leveling it slowly - I tamed my very first Dragon yesterday! Turns out its stats aren't too bad: 820 health, 824 str, 92 dex, 465 int: I'm happy with it so I want to keep it.

That said, what's safe to farm while training an un-bonded new Dragon? I'm not ready to bolt out right now because I need to work on my template a bit more but I don't know what I'll safely be able to handle without killing it.

Currently I'm at GM A. Lore, 96 taming, high 90s hiding and meditation, 75ish magery. I had thought of doing music and discord for the last two skills but haven't worked on them at all yet. Is discord over provocation a good choice?

Thanks for the help!
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell Member

Go to Brit I think they have onions, cabbage, and hay that is safe to farm. Yew also has some farms that are safe.
  3. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

Just stay away from the PK hotspots (Ice, Destard, Shame Blood Ellies, Balrons etc.) and you will probably be fine. As it's only one dragon and you don't seem to have Veterinary I would stay away from too much spawn and I won't risk setting the dragon up against strong monsters.

Venturing out, there is no guarantee that your dragon will survive. If you want to be safe, wait the few days until it's bonded. If you consider some serious farming with your tamer (especially with two dragons) I would advise to drop a skill in favor of Vet.
  4. Alco

Alco Active Member

I can vote yes to discord. :) Having provo in same template is awesome too. Speed up clearing lvl 6 maps since you can pull 1 mob and provo 2 mobs on each pull. :)
  5. Namarra

Namarra Active Member
    UO:R Donor

You could hunt in the desert north of Papua. Spawn is very spread out in most places and I rarely see people there. One dragon should take out a Titan no problem and Titans are relatively common there.
  6. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Provo is 100% more useful than discord. Discord will help go through prey faster, but really, the difference in speed will only be noticeable with BIG prey like balrons and Shadow Wyrms, etc. And in those cases, you pretty much would rather have them fighting among themselves. The only case I would choose disco over provo is if you intend to hunt the hell out of the ancient wyrm.

DISCLAIMER: I have a provo-disco-tamer, and would VERY much recomed taking on both skills, not just one.
    Orion GM BD likes this.
  7. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

As to where to start, I would suggest CoD North of Delucia
    Namarra likes this.
  8. Ikibahd

Ikibahd Active Member

Oh, I should amend my post to say that I intend to drop my hiding skill and have vet at GM.

If I were to do provo And Disco, do I drop meditation for it? What would make sense?

Thank you all for the suggestions!
  9. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

My provo-disco-tamer

Check out the template, and check out the Monter Log. I've killed pretty much every monster in the shard with this guy.
    Kalvasflam and Orion GM BD like this.
  10. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

I have nearly the same template (meditation instead of provo). Will finish it this weekend! Yesterday I tamed my first two dragons (will now have to wait for bonding). So I will soon be out there farming. May I ask how you deal mit heals (monster spawning and instantly aggro on you etc., PKs)? You are relying exclusively on pots? I imagine it's quite difficult without greater heals, but I am very insterested and thinking about dropping med in favor of provo too.
  11. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I have a hotkey for "all kill", and I CTRL+SHIFT the target, then run like a little bitch while ghealing myself. Of course to prevent monsters insta aggroing on me, I try to gate in into a "safe" zone a little away from the actual hunting spot.

I actually rarely carry pots. I rely on my dragons taking the hits/dealing the damage, and I heal them with Vet. I usually don't waste mana on GHeals unless I see it as imperative.

Yes, this is a little more of a "stay back and just bandage" template, but that suits me just fine when killing big game. It is actually great with bosses as you get a provo bonus with discord, so you can have a better chance to provo monsters onto their boss (ie. Balrons onto the PoD, Lich Lords on Dark One, etc.). That is SUPER useful to kill bosses as your dragons are not taking damage and can conversely deal max damage if you keep them at full health.

For PK's I always carry a Gate scroll and have a "tamer panic" macro binded to a hotkey. The hotkey is right next to my "all kill" hotkey, so reaction time is minimal. My panic macro is nothing more than: dbl click by type gate scroll, wait for target, target "safe" rune, say "all follow me", pause 1s, say "all follow me" (again), dbl click by type blue moongate. Can't remember the last time I died to a PK on my tamer.
    shad, Ikibahd and Kalvasflam like this.
  12. shad

shad Well-Known Member

Thank you for that. I will do the same.
    Pirul likes this.
  13. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

Yeah, works like a charm! Thx!
    Pirul likes this.