Fishing: A bad haul or par for the course?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Spooner, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Spooner

Spooner Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I just gm'd my fisher and decided to take him out to knock out some serps tonight.

I sailed all over open ocean fishing in various spots, and over a 2 hour span I only fished up 3 serps, the first one taking 59 minutes to fish up. Out of these 3 I got one mib and two level one t-maps.

Is this normal?
  2. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

That's a bit below average. This is not word-for-word, but I remember Telamon saying a GM fisherman can expect about 1 MIB per hour.
  3. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

Below average as stated but sometimes you'll pull 4+ serps in an hour. I fish out a spot then move 10 degrees, stop, fish out next spot, move again.
  4. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Do like I do. GM tracking on your fisher and look for sea monsters. My best haul have been 5 mibs, 1 map, 1 special net and 2 heavy fish all in close proximity of each other. Took me all of 5 minutes to get them, and didn't even need to cast my fishing rod once!
  5. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Is it possible to find ship wreck krakens this way? Cause they are the single reason I have a gm fisherman.
  6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know for a fact that my fisherman has spawned at least two shipwreck krakens that I have never caught.
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/?page=m_pl ... rt_id=id-D

Somewhere out there, there are shipwreck krakens so keep looking!
  7. Basoosh

You'll probably find a ton of my serpents with level 1 maps on them... :-/

Enjoy, I guess, hehe.
  8. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Deacon, I have caught a ton of your heavy fish...but just like 2 survive, the rest are fishsteaks.
  9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Haha, I've completely given up on killing the sea serpents and opted to flee if I pick one up.

If you ever have a free moment take a north route from Ocllo's east side, last I checked there were 50~ serps along that line that I left orphaned.
  10. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Yup, I've cleaned up a ton of those.

If I may ask, why run and leave the only worthwhile loot out there? You only take shipwrecked krakens?
  11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Yeah I only take the evil krakens, the rest are catch and release
  12. Spooner

Spooner Active Member

Made another two hour fishing run tonight.

It was an hour before the first serp came up and ultimately pulled up 3 serps including one with a fishing net, one with a MIB and one with a trophy fish.
  13. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

You have terribad luck then.

Last night I fished for 2 hours. Ended up with 13 serpents in 2 hrs. However, 9 of those where bearing Special Fishing Nets, 3 maps and only 1 MiB.
  14. Basoosh

Time to use new bait!
  15. Spooner

Spooner Active Member

At the rate I'm going, it's not very profitable at all to spend my time fishing.
  16. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Fishing can be a cruel mistress my friend. The first 8 hours I fished after gming fishing, I fished up 6 ship wrecked krakens :D. Since fishing up the last of those 6, my fisherman has logged somewhere between 40-50 hours and not a single kraken. Loads of nets and mibs, but no krakens :evil:.
  17. SirLanceAlittle

SirLanceAlittle Member

Three serps. in two hours is actually not bad, for certain areas. Your being 3 for 3 (1 MiB and 2 T-Maps) is, however, an excellent haul. I'd be very happy if I was that fortunate.

I am not possitive about this, but I do not think that Sea Serpents, or Deep Sea Serpents, spawn on their own, but rather must be "Fished-Up" here on Renaissance. Sea Serpents and Deep Sea Serpents seem to be freely roaming the seas, but that is, I believe, because they were "Fished-Up" by someone else and allowed to lo free. Perhaps they killed the fisherman that brought them up from the depths, or the fisherman simply fled the area upon teir appearance. Anyway, I love these rogue serps. I have actually found MiB's, Special Nets, and once a pretty large fish that was actually caught by someone else, all found in the guts of these Sea Serpents and Deep Sea Serpents after I've tracked, engaged, and ultimately killed and skinned them myself.

I am curious about this. Hey Chris, are there any free-spawning Sea Serpents and Deep Sea Serpents here on Renaissance? Or is it just the Water Elementals and Dolphins that spawn on their own?
  18. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

The oceans were spawned quite some time ago & were the last addition to the global spawners that at the time were not yet functional. The ocean wildlife contains all of the sea creatures except krakens & shipwreck krakens, which will spawn naturally outside of the influence of fishermen.
  19. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

Those of you having low turnarounds, are you sure that you're not excessively close to land or the server boundaries? In the last 45 minutes of fishing, I've pulled up 9 serps -- 3 mib's, 5 tmaps, 1 net.

...And as I started to type this, pulled up my 10th.

The rate to me seems astronomical, and its been this way every time I've taken my fishers out.
  20. Basoosh

Where are you fishing at?

(*readies Blade Spirits*)