Folly in the dragon's den

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Aragorn - OCT, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Aragorn - OCT

Aragorn - OCT Well-Known Member

Ah, Butters. You didn't belong down there! Damn your greed.

Play with dragons and you'll get burned.

I know...

There he was, face down on the cave floor, gold spilled around him. In the distance, glowing eyes in a cloud of black dragon, an ancient wyrm! Greed aside, the man had ganas. Never one to avoid death and danger for dragons booty, I reluctantly admire his bravery.

Perhaps it was the mangled corpse of Butters. Perhaps it was my own foolhardy decisions that occupied my mind. Perhaps.

Perhaps.

The wet wave of rotting dragon breath roiled over me head to toe like an undertakers sheet. In my reverie I neglected the first rule of dragons: eyes on eyes. I thoroughly honored the rule, much too late. The black whirl of dragon kills me completely.

In Vesper, I was chagrined to find Lord Cullinarn of the House of Oor'Tael about his business at the banking district. Finding it unnecessary to discuss the current state of a number of rotting corpses deep in Destard, I follow him to his fair keep. The tales of betrayal from a lamp are a welcome distraction from my failed rescue attempt. I chuckle soundly at the site of a lamp's corpses decorating the stone floors where so recently he pillaged. Gory justice.

At length, I take leave from Cullinarn to return to the rescue. Yet, a good friend is observant and knows what goes unsaid. Cullinarn gates about, gathering spells, resources, courage, and even a new adventurer, Lord Douf. Humbled by this I followed, empty handed, into the dark.

Cullinarn, Lord Douf and his dragons made short work of the hulking black dragon, and we take our leave.

I offered my gratitude to an old friend, and new acquaintance, chastising Butters all the way back to the guild hall.

His shame seemed sufficient. I can hope the change is real.

This morning, in his room lined with treasure chests I found him wearing the simple clothing of the pilgrims. I laugh, yet pause at a look from him. In front of him on his desk I see a manifesto: The Creed of Norben Droverson.

"Butters, what are you..."

"Not Butters," he interrupts.

"Norben. Norben Droverson."

*OOC - Thanks for the rescue @Cullinarn @douf ! Great fun!
    BlackEye, eherruh, The Watch and 4 others like this.
  2. The Watch

The Watch Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Dragon booty strikes again!

Great tale of adventure and woe with a happy ending!