Friday Fight Night at Grimoire! (9/27/13)

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by Mes, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Hi guys.

As you know this is Liberation's tournament that he hosts every Friday for the shard's benefit. He is not going to be able to make it this week and has passed on the responsibility to TT members. Nothing about this format should change, and we hope that everyone can come out and enjoy a free registration tournament with gold prizes as well as unique trophies.

I'd also like to take a moment to acknowledge Lib's dedication to the tournament and recommend to anyone, pvper or non pvper to follow the directions to attend or watch a tournament or drop by at a different time to see the town he built there. Thank you Liberation for the work you have put into it and we welcome your return.

Friday Fight Night at Grimoire

Friday Fight Night is a weekly PvP tournament hosted by players at the player-run city of Grimoire Ruins. Registration begins every Friday at 10:30pm CST (8:30pm PST, 11:30pm EST). Gates will be provided from West Britain Bank and Bucs Den during registration (gods willing). Registration lasts one half-hour, ending at 11pm CST sharp!

[​IMG]

This week's tournament is sponsored by Team Trammel!

This week's tournament will be:
    • 1v1
    • 7x
    • Single Elimination
    • No pots (EXCEPT REFRESH)
    • No wands
    • No hiding/invis
    • No magic weapons/armor
    • Poisoned weapons are not allowed
    • No looting
    • No field spells
    • No followers (tames, summons, mounts, etc)
    • No precasting before match begins
    • No buffs before match begins (includes stat pots, bless, Magic Reflect and company, fish buffs, etc)
    • Stealing is allowed between active combatants during official matches. Stolen items must be returned at the end of each match.
    • All combatants are subject to snooping by Grimoire staff

The prizes for this week are:
    • 1st Place: 30k & Special first place trophy
    • 2nd Place: 20k & Special second place trophy
    • 3rd Place: 10k & Special third place trophy
    Non-sanctioned and non-consensual fighting anywhere in the city of Grimoire will get you banned from the tower and from future events.
  2. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

A picture from the first match of the evening with the champion Romantic Roman.

[​IMG]
  3. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone that showed up to the tournament. It was the biggest one that I recall seeing with 16 registered duelers. There were even 3-4 people that wanted to join much later but it was too late to get them in. It ended up being a long event and it became difficult to manage. People got a little restless and crabby at times because of fights that went on too long, or people not being present when they needed to duel. I think Lib would have handled it with more grace but I did my best and hopefully noone feels slighted.

I did pretty much make an enemy for life out of mutombo for disqualifying him. In the second round he used earthquake three times, but won the duel in doing so. I didn't stop the fight because I wasn't sure entirely what to do since it was clear he didn't consider EQ to be a field spell (and he also says that I did not state that field spells were not allowed, which is probably true. That may have only been stated in this thread.)

I want to apologize for not coming up with a better way to handle it at the time. My first thought was that casting EQ (although obnoxious to the spectators and their pets) is not truly unfair to your opponent and if you can beat them with EQ you could probably beat them without it. So I was just going to do nothing, but immediately following the fight several people asked for him to be DQed.

What I should have done at this point is explained it to Mutombo and had them rematch immediately. It just didn't occur to me to do that at the time, and the night was wearing on (the tournament had been going on atleast an hour and a half at this point.) So I just stated he was DQed and moved on. He was angry and made some comments and someone kicked him from the house. He let me know in IRC that he felt very wronged and let me know that it was the fault of myself/TT that this happened to him.

After some time I did come up with an idea that might fix it. I knew that he would have been matched against Falanor in round 3, and Falanor being a guildmate, I knew would agree to duel him for the second place spot after the events. I could have asked that the admins change the trophy and award it to Mutombo, but he did not respond to me when I proposed it to him (I don't know if I was being ignored through IRC or he just chose not to respond, but he had let me know that the conversation was 'over' before this.)

In any case I wanted to apologize to Mutombo for how this turned out for him, and to anyone who felt like the tournament went on too long, or was frustrating for some other reason. There were several thieves watching and there were people that wanted them banned, but I decided not to ban any until they actually stole. Also there were several fights outside that I didn't intervene in or DQ anyone for being in. I think most of the fighting people outside were consensual, and it was a long tournament, so I just let it be.

So all that said, the end result was

1st Place : Roman (Mandevu)

2nd Place : Falanor

3rd Place : Ormulfr (Wulver)

I think because of the size of the tournament the staff awarded them better trophies than I've seen at previous events, which was pretty cool.

Most of my razor videos I recorded did not come out well for a silly reason, but I did get this short fight recorded in the second round.

https://vimeo.com/75719677

And here's the killshot in the final match
    [​IMG]