Funny thread - What are some of your biggest UO "noob" moments starting out?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by PaddyOBrien, Apr 18, 2015.

1. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

We were all noobs once, not knowing what the crap we were doing back then. What were some of your "noob moments"?

I'll start. I've already mentioned somewhere on the forums before on OSI that I assembled a ragtag group of noobs in order to "take over" the place.... which the end result was me getting guardwhacked while my comrades laughed at my plight and wandered off after picking me clean. One of the things that stand out are when I would wait around at West Brit bank with the hundreds of other newbies out there, rushing towards the junk that other players would drop like sharks in a feeding frenzy. Most of it was garbage, but one vet player's garbage is another noob player's treasure! I felt pretty badass riding my llama and wearing my 1st 2nd 3rd-hand suit of bone armor that was ready to disintegrate if an Ettin so much as farted in my direction.

There was one time I needed an instrument and couldn't find where I could buy them. Of course I asked everyone I came across who would mostly ignore me until someone who was sitting next to the forge in Britain offered some help. He said he had a "skin flute" I could play.... and I was about to say "sure where is it?" until I realized what he was saying.....:eek:

and who could forget the first time they thought they were tough enough to fight the dreaded great hart, only to run away with 1% health, screaming like a little schoolgirl and desperately trying to call the guards? :cool:
    Keystone, Cheapsuit, Airin and 7 others like this.
  2. one legged larry

one legged larry New Member

The very first thing I did on my very first log in into the game was attack a stray dog in town, which ofc killed me .. not understanding the whole ghost thing I ran around trying to figure out what was going on and just gave up, logged out and made a new character.

The second thing I did after observing the brit bank for a bit was I somehow managed to get some hides, I think someone dropped em, but I never clicked on them to see what they actually were and I thought they were giant nuts, so I stood at the corner of the brit bank with them on the ground in front of me screaming "Selling giant nuts" until someone stole em from me, I was all mad too.
  3. Faber

Faber Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I put a house deed on the floor of my house. It promptly disappeared.
    Hadrian, Vlar and newme like this.
  4. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

I solo PK'd an entire tamer guild on my first week with 59 Margery and forgot to kill all of their pets.
    Vandalin, Hadrian and El Horno like this.
  5. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  6. Pax Romain

Pax Romain Well-Known Member

I started in Yew, which is the absolute worst starting town for a newbie since it has no blacksmiths, tailors, or mage shops. For like a month I thought all mages collected their regs off the ground until I went through some player's moongate to another town.
  7. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

I killed myself into stat by accident
    First newb moment was saying "why are you giving this to me? what are regs?"
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    Hadrian and newme like this.
  8. Tuco

Tuco Well-Known Member

I had been playing for about a month or two in Trammel. I hadn't gone to Felucca yet because everyone told me not to go or I'd get robbed and murdered immediately, but go I did, finally, I was walking outside Trinsic when I saw red names!! I was excited to meet my first pk's and walked up to them to say hi. They moved toward me slowly, in a creepy kinda way and would not talk to me.

After they killed me I realilzed they were red npc's and not players at all. lolz.
  9. The Musician

The Musician Well-Known Member

I had many newb moments but the one that stands out the most was when I opened the door to my bros freshly stocked small house only to get robbed within minutes.
    Hadrian, Ragar and newme like this.
  10. Avelmira

Avelmira Active Member

I was running around Moonglow (avoiding that super dangerous graveyard!!) and saw this sweet black horse wandering nearby. I wanted it so bad so I decided to go see if I could tame it. I couldn't tame it.
    Hoominaga, Hadrian, Codus and 2 others like this.
  11. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

In my second week I saw a red named "raging grizzly bear" outside Brit. Thinking it was some sort of boss, I tamed a few local wolfs and took it down! :oops:
    Jakob and newme like this.
  12. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

When a friend stopped by and while I was playing UO and saw me holding the up arrow to buy regs from a vendor. He proceeded to inform me that I could hold shift and click to buy the whole stack. This was in 2011.

Mind blown.
  13. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Just learned something new. (-_-)
    Balgami, Rextacy, Hadrian and 7 others like this.
  14. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member

holding alt and clicking health bars to separate ones stuck together, holding ctrl-shift to get objects to highlight that drop under floors, etc
  15. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Yes! This was my experience too. My first guy was to be a lumberjacker/bowcrafter/archer, so I figured what better place than Yew. I got so lost; didn't have UOAM or any of that, so I was just going off of the little radar map. Couldn't log out safely because I couldn't find an Inn and didn't know about Camping and didn't have Hiding. So every time I'd log in, I'd be a ghost in search of a wandering healer (because god forbid Yew have one I could find). Ended up just starting a new guy in Britain.
  16. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

• Attacking someone's summoned Water Elemental because it was red. I had 52 swordsmanship, so it didn't end well.
    • Desperately trying to find a mountain tile that still had ore left near Britain.
    Hadrian, newme and ReZon like this.
  17. Kermit

Kermit Well-Known Member

Wanted to buy a nice silver weapon to kill these undead faster in deceit. I found a seller and he told me to grab my gold and come with him trough his gate.

I bet u know the end of the story, house was full of red and i was kinda insta killed with my gold on me :( I'm still crying how naiv i was!!!!
    Hadrian, newme, ReZon and 1 other person like this.
  18. Xavier WER

Xavier WER Member

Wanting to place a house right outside britain, next to the little beach on the east end.
    People told me I couldn't place there because the ground was uneven, so I bought a shovel
  19. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

When I first got here I thought building a dexxer was a good idea, to this day I have a character that gets used once a year...
    Hadrian, newme and Jack of Shadows like this.
  20. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Hahaha I had a similar experience seeing a green potion laying around. I was used to older single player Ultima games where you could double click green potions and shove them down other npc's throats and poison them... I thought it would be funny to do that to another player... only to find out no, it doesn't work like that. I believe I ran around like a chicken with its head cut off until the poison wore off :D