G'day all!

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Khari, May 13, 2019.

1. Khari

Khari Member

I'd been meaning to register on the forums to say hello (or g'day here in Australia) and say thank you to those who set up and run the shard, as well as to those few I've talked to in game, who have been very welcoming.

I wasn't sure whether or not I'd enjoy UO again, after all these years, but 3-4 days after starting an account, I've clocked 60 hours play time! I first played on OSI Oceania from 2000-2003, and on Siege Perilous in 2004. Since then it's been player shards all the way, the main two being Angel Island and Hybrid. I think the last time I played was in 2008. My main character names (across all MMOs) have generally been Tarnicus and Azariel.

I'll join Discord soon. So far my attempts to join IRC via the webpage have failed. I get the following message:

"Flash policy problem. If you are the server owner, please read htt://redmine.lightirc.com/projects/lightirc/wiki/Flash_Policy_setup_instructions. You need to install a flash policy daemon at irc.chat4all.org (port 7000).
    [15:27:27] Disconnected from server."
    RavenMagi, Delphyne, Hawkeye and 8 others like this.
  2. AOٌ

AOٌ Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    I use HexChat for IRC not sure what that issue is but that's how I fixed it.
    Khari likes this.
  3. Buga

Buga Well-Known Member

Welcome, this thing is addictive, have fun!
    Khari likes this.
  4. Riddish

Riddish Member

Heya Khari good to see you on the forums now too! 60 hours, wow! I have that logged on my guys too but a good portion of macroing up skills.

See you in Brittania!
    Khari likes this.
  5. Khari

Khari Member

When I last used IRC(some 15+ years ago) it was via an IRC client, not web-based. mIRC from memory. Thanks for the reminder, I'll do that when I'm awake at a more decent hour (almost 4am here).

Whatever do you mean? *grins* Playing 2 accounts now. Will start 3rd tomorrow as I have a plethora of alts in mind

Yes I've been doing a decent amount of macroing in that time too ;)
    Buga likes this.
  6. Khari

Khari Member

3 accounts now, boat set up near pirates for anyone needing barding gains. I'm totally hooked on UO again, and will definitely be hanging around for some time to come. I was worried that my ping from Australia might be an issue but it hasn't been so far (sure it will be in pvp, but that isn't my focus).

Must...sleep... *curses*
    Keza likes this.
  7. Xavant_BR

Xavant_BR Well-Known Member

Be welcome. I like austrália... I s a place of strange animals like Koalas, Kangaroos, ornitorhyncus and @Loki46236 `s
    Khari and AOٌ like this.
  8. nilmer

nilmer Active Member

Hey khari! Did you get provo gains figured out? Ordo you still need access to a provo house
  9. Khari

Khari Member

I bought a boat!

GM'd prov on it by luring one sailor onboard, and the other on land. I'm pleased that my impromptu houseboat has enabled others to gain as well.

I just got home, and will set it up again if anyone needs it
    nilmer likes this.
  10. Khari

Khari Member

Kangaroos and koalas are pretty much the crowd you don't want on a shard.

Kangaroos have a nasty claw on their legs, that can disembowel someone, and in areas where they are fed by humans, they can be quite aggressive(generally the males - I think this is why kangaroo scrotum wallets became popular lol). They are also fond of trying to drown dogs.

Koalas on the other hand are hands down the grumpiest creatures in existence! This surprises me as they sleep for 20 hours a day and eat for the majority of the other 4 - stoner life personified.

Interesting fact: humans think they are special for having an opposible thumb. Koalas have two!
  11. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Koalas are fucking horrible animals. They have one of the smallest brain to body ratios of any mammal, additionally - their brains are smooth. A brain is folded to increase the surface area for neurons. If you present a koala with leaves plucked from a branch, laid on a flat surface, the koala will not recognise it as food. They are too thick to adapt their feeding behaviour to cope with change. In a room full of potential food, they can literally starve to death. This is not the token of an animal that is winning at life. Speaking of stupidity and food, one of the likely reasons for their primitive brains is the fact that additionally to being poisonous, eucalyptus leaves (the only thing they eat) have almost no nutritional value. They can't afford the extra energy to think, they sleep more than 80% of their fucking lives. When they are awake all they do is eat, shit and occasionally scream like fucking satan. Because eucalyptus leaves hold such little nutritional value, koalas have to ferment the leaves in their guts for days on end. Unlike their brains, they have the largest hind gut to body ratio of any mammal. Many herbivorous mammals have adaptations to cope with harsh plant life taking its toll on their teeth, rodents for instance have teeth that never stop growing, some animals only have teeth on their lower jaw, grinding plant matter on bony plates in the tops of their mouths, others have enlarged molars that distribute the wear and break down plant matter more efficiently... Koalas are no exception, when their teeth erode down to nothing, they resolve the situation by starving to death, because they're fucking terrible animals. Being mammals, koalas raise their joeys on milk (admittedly, one of the lowest milk yields to body ratio... There's a trend here). When the young joey needs to transition from rich, nourishing substances like milk, to eucalyptus (a plant that seems to be making it abundantly clear that it doesn't want to be eaten), it finds it does not have the necessary gut flora to digest the leaves. To remedy this, the young joey begins nuzzling its mother's anus until she leaks a little diarrhoea (actually fecal pap, slightly less digested), which he then proceeds to slurp on. This partially digested plant matter gives him just what he needs to start developing his digestive system. Of course, he may not even have needed to bother nuzzling his mother. She may have been suffering from incontinence. Why? Because koalas are riddled with chlamydia. In some areas the infection rate is 80% or higher. This statistic isn't helped by the fact that one of the few other activities koalas will spend their precious energy on is rape. Despite being seasonal breeders, males seem to either not know or care, and will simply overpower a female regardless of whether she is ovulating. If she fights back, he may drag them both out of the tree, which brings us full circle back to the brain: Koalas have a higher than average quantity of cerebrospinal fluid in their brains. This is to protect their brains from injury... should they fall from a tree. An animal so thick it has its own little built in special ed helmet. I fucking hate them.

Tldr; Koalas are stupid, leaky, STI riddled sex offenders. But, hey. They look cute. If you ignore the terrifying snake eyes and terrifying feet.
  12. Tiago

Tiago Well-Known Member

Woo! Australia represent! Have fun, friend :)
  13. Khari

Khari Member

That is definitely the best thing I have read on the internet today, most likely this week, and probably this month. You nailed it when it comes to those fucking horrendous creatures that most non-Australians seem to find so cute and endearing! I learned a bit from your post, and I thought I knew these shit-sacks well :D I do find it fascinating that they can gorge solely on cineole/eucalyptol containing leaves(that also have cyanide compounds) and receive seemingly no ill effects. Their livers really should be studied! I'm used to using cineole/eucalyptol for medicinal purposes, mostly topically, although I have enjoyed the odd cup of eucalyptus leaf tea on occasion.

The licking/eating shit part had me in stitches, that was something I did not know about koalas, and in hindsight, would probably have enjoyed life more without knowing those details, but they were fascinating at the same time lol.

And yet they have been on this continent for 30+ million years, without evolving at all. How is that possible? They are doing something right, as strange as it sounds. I spent a good 10+ years learning survival techniques; how to source food, water, build shelter, fire, herbal medicines, foraging, etc in the off chance our interdependent society went kaput and I had to fend for myself and my loved ones. During the theoretical part of that research, I was amazed to read so many stories of humans who had died due to starvation when their were plentiful sources of food and water nearby, if only they had the knowledge to make use of them.

Hey nice to hear from you! I perused your art post on my phone earlier today - top stuff mate!
    Xavant_BR likes this.
  14. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Sadly can't take credit, this is pretty famous, old copypasta lifted from Reddit. It made me lol hard and at the mention of koalas I remembered it again
    Khari likes this.
  15. Khari

Khari Member

Hah well I haven't seen it before, so cheers for that! I did wonder why someone from Canada (as your profile says) had so much knowledge on an obscure species.
  16. Xavant_BR

Xavant_BR Well-Known Member

Alexcccp your words about koalas make more fascinated about them... The evolution have no obligation to make sense to us.. They are there, eating toxic leaves and sleeping 80% of the day... and we here, working 8h-9h a day to barely pay the bills, stressed, depressed, afraid of get a shot in the school/street, taking pills to sleep, playing games to scape a little from our miserable existence... well... we should learn something with the koalas...
    Khari likes this.
  17. Khari

Khari Member

Now that's some wisdom! Like I said earlier, they live the perfect stoner life, sleeping most of the time, and eating (or fucking/raping as Alexcccp said) for the rest of it. Many humans could learn from this.

Just don't kick them out of their tree or they will get really upset
  18. Roach

Roach Active Member

Thanks for letting me GM Provo at your boat setup. Easier than provo houses.
    Khari likes this.
  19. Khari

Khari Member

Human: "there's plenty of trees"

Big Koala: "yeah and this is my fucking tree!"

Small Koala: *cries* It's so far (2-3 metres) to the next tree!
    Xavant_BR likes this.
  20. Khari

Khari Member

Wonderful to hear, and I'm glad I could help. I GM'd mine yesterday, and figured whilst I'm still on Occlo, I'd set the boat up again to help others.

For some reason I cannot join web IRC, so I couldn't ask others to let me into a Provo house. After watching 3 greatly worn houses on the island get refreshed, I decided to buy a boat and train that way.