GM tracking fails to see people still

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Pork Fried Rice, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

I know hiding plays a roll to prevent being tracked. To my understanding (Chris told me this in my early days of the shard, late 2013 I believe) that this is only the case if the player is actually hidden. Well, I have noticed fairly consistently that an non hidden character just a few tiles away does not always come up on tracking if they have GM hiding.

I don't understand why the GM hider is getting a passive benefit from the hiding skill if it isn't even activated. Is this really how it should be working here, even with the custom system that is "history perfected"? I don't think failing to track a visible character that's a few tiles away is very perfect.
    BlackEye, Maltman and Basoosh like this.
  2. Plankton

Plankton Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This is most likely user error. :p
  3. Pork Fried Rice

Please explain?

I have 3 guys in my house. All 3 have GM hiding, all 3 are not hidden. When I track, sometimes neither of the other 2 characters show up. Sometimes one of them, and sometimes both.

This happens both inside player homes and outside of player homes. I've done my share of tracking testings.
  4. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

I was being snarky PFR. Apologies to you! Anyway, it sounds like there is a chance for tracking to fail for each creature that can be tracked. I imagine we need clarification from Chris regarding the mechanics.
    Pork Fried Rice likes this.
  5. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

I'm sure the tracking skill only checks if the player has the proper hiding skill and not whether the player is actually hidden
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Formula inputs are in the forums somewhere. Search 4tw.
  7. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

8. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

Hiding AND stealth can limit the trackers radius of search and cause a fail altogether. So in other words a character with GM hiding AND stealth has the best chance to avoid being tracked and tracked from a smaller radius.
  9. Pork Fried Rice

Thanks for clarification! I'm not sure I agree with the idea that my all names macro can see someone who is not hidden but a skill I've invested 100pts into cannot do it as effectively, but at least now I know the reason :)
  10. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Mes likes this.
  11. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

Hell yea. Tracking can be quite powerful and very useful on this server. Certainly an essential to have at least one char with it.
  12. Xegugg

Xegugg Well-Known Member

I know with my stealth trackers, I will fail sometimes to pick up the other people who are stealth/track with me in a party. It's does not always let me get them on the first tracking. attempt.