Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by One, Sep 13, 2017.

Should Britannia's graveyards have lich spawns?

1. Yes, it's era accurate and they're better hunting than zombies.

93.6%
  2. No, who needs lichs?

6.4%
  1. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Moonglow gy was legendary in the liches sending noobs to the healer. if nothing else, DEFINITELY put liches in moonglow gy if they're not there already, that placed stayed packed!
    One likes this.
  2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Active Member

When I went to the N'Julem graveyard on this server, I was very disappointed to see virtually no undead there. I think every other shard Ive ever played on, that graveyard whas choc filled with those uber undead that deadly poison, cast, and have tons of hitpoints. I was used to that area being one of the most high level areas in Sosaria. Given the fence, it was also great for GM Provo (unless someone came by and PK'd you tho).

Most graveyards Ive been to on UOR (havent seen em all) have basic spawn like skeles, zombies, thats it. Seems kind of pointless, since new players start in Ocllo.

Graveyards with Liches and even more badass spawn FTW.
    One likes this.
  3. Alvien

Alvien Well-Known Member

When I joined this shard, I started off in Britain instead of Occlo because it was an area I was more familiar with.

My first stop was the Britain graveyard to train my melee skills fighting the monsters there but I was weary about entering the nearby buildings because I remember there being a lich spawn from my OSI days.

To my surprise there was none to be found.

But, magical creatures are much more powerful on this server as well. As a new player on OSI I never felt overly concerned engaging spectre/shades etc but I quickly learned otherwise here on Renaissance. Even with a starting 50 resist spells, those creatures proved difficult to defeat because of their poison/damage spells and my low strength stat.

At the time I had not yet learned how to max my statistics and was running around with 35-50 strength.

Do I think each graveyard should have a single lich be present kind of like the boss of the graveyard? Yes I do, I believe their presence was part of the fun/danger to undertake when venturing into these areas.

But I also believe magical creatures here are at least 2x - 3x more powerful than they were on OSI back when I had played. I don't ever recall a lich casting flamestrikes or poison spells so often/quickly. At the most the strongest spell I remember was an odd energy bolt thrown in between the barrage of lightning spells.

Now that I have learned more of the server mechanics and have maxed my statistics/skills I can fight them but I think they are so strong at this time that a new player venturing into a graveyard and encountering a lich would deter them from going into these areas again for quite some time.

As newbies we simply wouldn't have enough hp to take a hit and be able to run away, I think part of testing our boundaries/exploring the world and growing stronger is not being utterly destroyed when we encounter something new in an area but take enough damage, be able to retreat, reassess and try again.
    One and compsays like this.
  4. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Save your breath, the powers that be won't allow anything to change. EVER.
  5. Alvien

Alvien Well-Known Member

I appreciate your response but I don't agree with that approach.

In all honesty I am very grateful to have found this server, its players and community. I feel very welcome here and I've enjoyed my time so far (About two months now)

I believe it will be good for us to have these conversations but we should also stay focused on what we would like to improve without approaching everything with an eagerness to assign blame for something we may not agree with or fully understand.

If we continue the conversation and creatively offer possible solutions we can contribute to a great community and hopefully offer ideas which the moderators may one day implement. Like anything else, refinement comes with time and plenty of thought.

And who knows, after poking at something long enough we may eventually come to the conclusion that things are good as they are.

I think the key in all of this is understanding how many other strings will be pulled when we change something.
    One likes this.
  6. k1w1uk

k1w1uk Well-Known Member

I played Oceania back in the day, and I still remember the thrill I had when I took down my 1st ever lich at Glow Graveyard. True it gave me an over inflated idea of my awesomeness, one that was dispelled soon after as I ventured into Deceit and was cut down long before finding the liches but still... Bring Back the Graveyard liches :)
    One likes this.