Guard Commander Quest: Missing Miners...An Investigation

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Merek Tybalt, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Merek Tybalt

Merek Tybalt Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

It was a day like most other days in the eastern parts of the realm as Sir Allistar rode upon his war horse Zeus along the King's Highway. The lands in the east are not as quiet and safe as the outskirts of Britain where the loyal knights and guards of Lord British patrol with a systematic precision. No, these part of the lands are fraught with danger and peril. Which is why the installation of several guard posts and towers along the roads were an unpleasant necessity.

The night before, Sir Allistar had overheard from his fellow knights in Sanctuary of the overwhelming amount of incidents occurring in these regions and the dire need for the local commanders for brave men and women to volunteer and aid their missions. "I will make haste at first light to offer my aid" exclaimed Sir Allistar. "But first, another round of ale!"

Sir Allistar arrived at the East Guard Commander's Office by midday, and despite the many hours of ridding his headache born from last night's drinking persisted. Thankfully, the outpost was stocked with ale. "Hair of the Hellhound", thought Sir Allistar as he purchased a bottle in hopes it would cure his pounding head.

Sir Allistar_7-26_19.06.jpg

The list of tasks that required assistance was extensive, clearly the stories were true...the guards were in fact inundated with problems that needed investigating. Sir Allistar noticed on task in particular concerned reports of several missing miners in the Avarice Mountains. According to the reports the missing miners were swallowed by the mountain itself.

"Commander, i am here to assist in the search for the missing men" proclaimed Sir Allistar

After some standard paperwork and the signing of several waivers, Sir Allistar was ready to start his quest...but first, another ale.

Sir Allistar_7-26_19.15.jpg

Sir Allistar approached the mountain and found a forge and anvil at what appeared to be a path into the mountain. He immediately concluded the miners he was looking for could be in the area. As he rode into the mine, the missing miners were there, but unfortunately for the miners someone or something had found them first...

Sir Allistar_7-26_19.17.jpg

The bodies of two miners were lying on the cave floor, their bodies crushed and mutilated to the bones. This was not the work of Brigands or other bandits, they could not have turned these poor souls flesh and bones into piles of mush. Sir Allistar began searching the area for any clues as to what happened. There was not much in the cave, bottles of ale caught Sir Allistar's eye and for a moment he contemplated drinking it, for it was not as if the poor dead miners would be needing it anymore...but then he thought better of it. " Best keep my wits about me for now": he said under his breath.

Along the cave were miners tools, worn from use and piles of ore, but not just any ore, rare ores. Bronze and Verite. In the corner was a book which contained entries, Sir Allisatr began to read the words:

"What a glorious day, it is a day men of our trade dream of but never see. Daman and I were only a few hours into our prospecting when we ht the largest vein of Verite ore we'd ever seen. I swear on The Slayers balls you've never seen so much glistening green ore in one place in all the world. We are going to rich men, very rich men. The amount of ore here that can be sold would buy a tower for ourselves and all our mistresses."

Sir Allistar continued to read the journal, "Strange noises we heard last night while we camped, the cracking sounds seemed to come from within the mountain and ore veins, we could hardly sleep. It almost was as if the mountain was breathing. Daman wanted to leave at first light, and I was willing to let him and keep this haul to myself until i remembered Daman brought the damn wagons. I convinced him to stay one more day, after we extracted all the ore. He begrudently agreed."

This was the last entry in the journal, Sir Allistar concluded that whatever befell these men happened after the morning they heard the mountain come "alive".

Sir Allistar_7-26_19.26.jpg

Suddenly, and without warning a loud crackling sound erupted from the cave walls behind Sir Allistar. From the cave wall itself the stone and metals formed the figure of a golem, a golem made from verite ore. Without much warning the golem set straight for Sir Allistar, no doubt looking to turn him into the same unfortunate state as the miners. But unlike the miners, Sir Allistar was of steel and shield, a crusher in his own right as a master of the mace. The battle raged on, the golem and Sir Allistar trading crushing blows until finally the beast born of the mountain crumbled into dust.

Sir Allistar_7-26_20.00.jpg

Sir Allistar collected his wits and finished applying some bandages, for the golem got a few good strikes in. Full armored he still took some damage, the miners stood no chance. After collecting some ore for the guard commander outpost he buried the bodies of the miners and rode out of the cave. On his way out me met a local resident named Lord Bones who inquired as to Sir Allistar's investigation.

"Careful of the mines," Sir Allistar warned, "two miners met a grizzy end in there."

"Were they killed by murders or bandits?" inquired Lord Bones.

"No, by the looks it was the golems that got them" responded SIr Allistar

Sir Allistar_7-26_20.04.jpg

SIr Allistar then rode towards the East Guard Tower to deliver the sad news and his detailed report...and to get some more damn ale as all good tales end.
  2. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

Outstanding work Sir Allistar!

Grim news indeed, but the families at last can come to peace. Future miners will be happy to know as well of the dangers that are lurking with in those mines!

A patrolman will be headed in your direction with a reward for your hard work! And shall we meet in a pub one day, a drink on me Sir!

OOC: Fabulous story within the book! Great touch!
  3. Aragorn - OCT

Aragorn - OCT Well-Known Member

I mourn the fallen miners. All of Brittania knows that our commerce would crumble without these brave men and women!

OOC: "Signing of several waivers" had me laughing out loud. Nice.

Also, might I suggest reading this through with Foo Fighter's "Ballad of Beacon's Field Miners" playing in the background. Great song, even better story behind it. Worth a Google.
  4. Merek Tybalt

Merek Tybalt Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Dear Commander,

I am still in possession of your written report and spoils from the Avarice Mountains. I have unfortunately not been able to locate you at your offices to complete my assigned quest. Kindly send a raven to me when you are available to rendezvous and accept my delivery.

Regards

Sir Allistar
    Genuss Kaern likes this.