Guide: Arctic Ogre Mage Sleeper Hold

Discussion in 'Guides' started by El Horno, Aug 25, 2014.

1. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Guide: The Arctic Ogre Mage Sleeper Hold
    This will be a very short guide explaining how to execute the Arctic Ogre Mage Sleeper Hold. Arctic Ogre Mages is a boss spawn that happens occasionally in Ice Dungeon when you are farming arctic ogre lords. They are tough! They hit hard and cast hard, and they have a barding difficulty of 184, so the chances of a bard being able to provoke an arctic ogre lord onto them is very low unless you have the appropriate slayer instrument (ogre thrashing). New players farming here will have a lot of trouble taking them down alone, especially without a tamer. That is unless you know how to execute the sleeper hold. The technique is simple and can be applied to many different scenarios.
    [​IMG]

Do you ever wonder what the monsters do when your not around? Well they sleep of course.

[​IMG]

So in order to kill Arctic Ogre Mages with EASE, lure it to the entrance of Ice Dungeon and go outside. While your outside, the distance between you and the dungeon is so great that the monsters go to sleep(unless someone else is inside and close enough). So from outside, you load a bladespirit and enter the dungeon and place it near the Arctic Ogre Mage and quickly leave again. This way, while you are casting the next bladespirit, the boss is not dispelling your last one. This way I can get 5-6 bladepspirits onto the Arctic Ogre Mage without it dispelling a single bladespirit. Once the Arctic Ogre Mage is occupied with 4-6 bladespirits, you can safetly sit inside and keep casting bladespirits whenever one gets dispelled. Make sure to load mass dispell when the boss nears death so your summons don't turn on you.
    Enjoy the loot and pray for a statue!
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    Khari, Felucca, Kalvasflam and 11 others like this.
  2. El Horno

I made an rpv video of the method to make it easier to grasp. The youtube video seemed to speed things up but it took a total of 3 minutes 22 seconds to kill including dragging it to the entrance. Enjoy!
    Andersonius, Jupiter and Vlar like this.
  3. Urza

Urza Active Member

This, in my opinion, is exploiting a small bug with the server and should be repaired.

Calling it something like a "sleeper hold" is a clever Trammelite cover up.
    Blaise, fooka03 and Gozinya like this.
  4. ErikdeRed

ErikdeRed Active Member

Nice! Wish I would have had that information about a year ago!
    Vlar likes this.
  5. El Horno

Weigraf, I am glad I taught you something :) Be a man of your word and send me that rpv of you killing one faster as you promised. Until then I'll continue to think of you as a scammer and a balker.

Edit: On second take, you are a scammer regardless, but I will gladly stop thinking of you as a balker!
  6. Urza

Urza Active Member

Scammer? Lol. I did miss this game.
  7. El Horno

Scamming... as in that post you made bragging about scamming people out of their ethreal mounts. Classy!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    Hydrox likes this.
  8. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

lol well played El Horno…Well played… I would use this technique in a heart beat. No different than running out of sight and casting the blade which I know WE have ALL done at some point.. Or ran outside the dungeon to heal up….Which going off Welgraf's theory would be an exploit and it may very be but I know he has done it. We all have.
  9. fooka03

fooka03 Well-Known Member

I believe the issue here (as to the exploit) is that somehow the mob doesn't flag as still fighting and won't use magic unless a PC is within range (though clearly it auto-defends and still uses melee). I would be curious to see if you can have a ghost watch and see if the theory is correct. I'd also like to try it with pets and not just summons, or even provoked mobs. If this is the case then it should be addressed. My theory is that this is the case to reduce server load so that the AI isn't unnecessarily taxing the server at all times but I haven't looked at the code to know for sure.
  10. Codus

Codus Well-Known Member

provokes stop attacking when the musician is out of range for X amount of time.

And the point here is that when fighting .. it dispels your B/S or E/V's. It can't dispell pets (which wouldn't stop attacking if you leave - ive run through gates while my pets fight to bank and come back to them still kicking ass).

However.. another exploit tactic that works is to use Poison Fields on a boss that is vulnerable to poison (Mage, deseased blood, gam, efreet sultant, etc) prior to EV/BSing it.

Cure is higher in the rotation then dispel is so it will always cure itself then start the casting order over, leaving you to make more summons. Just keep the p-field up.
  11. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

Clever!! I think I would be doing the same thing. If I get poisoned I try to cure before anything else because I can't heal myself while poisoned.. That seems like a problem. I only let it go if I am 100% certain that Im getting the kill soon.
  12. El Horno

13. Felucca

Felucca Active Member

I did this last night! Thank you very much! Awesome trick