Guide: Remove Traps

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Dalavar, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Remove Traps is a niche skill that allows you to deactivate traps on boxes, crates and chests. The skill is activated via the Skills menu, and has a 10 second cooldown between uses. The primary benefits of this skill (versus the Telekinesis spell, which allows you to detonate traps from a safe distance) is that you can use Remove Traps without magery and while remaining hidden from monsters or players in the immediate area.

In order to train this skill, you need to have at least 50.0 in Detect Hidden and Lockpicking. You need to maintain these skill levels in order to activate it as well. That is, even if you have raised Remove Traps to GM skill, you cannot then drop down your Detect Hidden skill below 50.0 or you will not be able to activate Remove Traps.

When you activate Remove Trap on a container, you will get one of the following messages:

"That is not locked." Self explanatory; the trap has either been removed, or never existed. Feel free to open it up!
    "You fail to disarm the trap... but don't set it off." After the 10 second cooldown, you can attempt to remove the trap again.
    "You successfully disarm the trap." The container is now untrapped and can be opened safely.

The best way to train Remove Traps is in combination with Tinkering and Lockpicking. First, use Dart Traps (trap type dos not matter, but dart is cheapest) to trap a container for your Remove Trap character to remove. As a general rule, you want the Tinker skill of your trap maker to be about 8 points below your Remove Trap skill. This method works until 98.0 Remove Trap skill.

Once you reach 98.0 Remove Trap skill, you need to train the skill to GM on dungeon and treasure map chests. This is where Lockpicking comes in. You can train Lockpicking to 95.0 skill on player locked chests, but from there you need to work the skill on dungeon or treasure map chests as well. May as well do both of these at once.

Here is how the math behind Remove Traps works... each trapped chest has a "Trap Power" assigned by the game. For treasure map chests, the trap power is equal to 5 times the level of the chest. So a level three chest has 75 trap power, a level six chest has 150 trap power, etc. Trap power is the amount of damage you will take from opening the trapped chest, if you ever accidentally do this. For Remove Traps, you have a chance at successfully removing a trap if your Remove Traps skill is between 22 above and 38 below the Trap Power of the trap. Any less than that and you will never disarm the chest; any more than that and you will succeed every time (and thus, never gain skill since it is not a challenge). Here is the Remove Trap skill at which you can have a minimum chance to remove a trap and gain skill from the following chests:

Level 3: 53.0 or more
    Level 4: 78.0 or more
    Level 5: 103.0 or more
    Level 6: 128.0 or more

As you can see, once you reach 98.0 Remove Trap skill from trapping your own chests, the ONLY way to GM this skill is via level 3 and level 4 dungeon and treasure map chests. For Lockpicking, the only way to go frmo 95.0 to 100.0 is via level 4 chests, so getting familiar with these chests and their locations is ideal. (Most rune libraries have a book with all of these locations).

Future directions for the skill:
    As you can see from the numbers above, a Grandmaster at Removing Traps cannot ever remove a level 5 or level 6 trap successfully. On the other hand, the 3rd circle spell Telekinesis can safely disarm these traps, if cast from a distance. Hopefully in the future, the Remove Traps skill will be superior to this spell, allowing the removal of any trap at the highest skill levels.
  2. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Tagging for eventual addition to super guide! (can't edit it under new forums atm)
  3. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Obligatory:

[​IMG]
  4. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I had gmd this last year but it seems to have changed a bit. Previously I had just kept tinkering and remove trap within 3 points of each other. This time that worked until about 80 and I came to a dead stop on gaining tinkering and remove trap. I had to get my tinkering to 90.1 to even budge past the 80.0 rt. So that's about a 10 point lead in tinkering to get past 80 rt. (for anyone interested on why they might stop gaining)
    Dash and Mes like this.
  5. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Active Member

Dash, Jean-Pierre and Jack of Shadows like this.
  6. Huginn

Huginn New Member

AN CORP

I had to raise this thread from the dead to ask a question: I have been training Remove Traps and Tinkering at the same time. I've reached 53.0 in RT and 53.3 TNK, but I've hit a wall and can't gain anymore RT skill from disarming my own dart traps. I thought as long as TNK was within 8 pts of RT I could gain up until 98 or so? I've tried putting on plate gauntlets as I'd heard that lowers your RT skill a bit in case it's too high, but even after a whole night of disarming and 200 ingots I haven't gained a single decimal. Do I have to raise RT at the exact same rate I raise TNK?

Also, I heard it can be cheaper to raise RT if you just set a macro to disarm the metal chests in the East/West Brit Jeweller over and over and go afk for a day or so. Is that viable? I really don't want Tinkering in my build anyway, and am only raising it now so I can raise RT solo without multi-clienting.

Lastly, since it's been about a year since this guide was made, have there been any changes to RT as a skill since the OP?
    Moryn likes this.
  7. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

In my experience, you want tinker to be 8-12 points above RT, not below. That worked just fine for me to high 90s.
  8. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

Is this skill worth it for just doing the dungeon chests? If you fail at RT won't the level 4 trap kill you?
  9. Awen

Awen Active Member

Hello

Is there any Npc training remove trap ? maybe Thief guildmaster , i presume when have 50 at both lock and hidden ?

And second question , when i have 50 at both detect hidden and lockpicking , if i use the remove trap skill at 0 , do i gain ?

(not sure i was clear with my questions :oops: )

thanks
  10. Mino

Mino Active Member

Resurrecting this for 2020

I used close to +20 tinker real skill difference between Remove Traps.You can come closer to 12 then increase tinkering and loop...

BUT

After I got 70 RT (real) I tried GM traps for lulz and STARTED GAINING and eventually defusing! :D so after 70 you can make a full room of dart traps if you have an existing GM tinker and make a trapping & defusing session. :cool:
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Snorko likes this.
  11. Mino

Mino Active Member

Update 2020: I just gained RT from a level 6 chest, which seems some mechanics are changed. If you have a cartographer and a lot of time maybe we can gain from level 5 and beyond I think.

P.S: Just defused a Level 5 chest with 96.2 RT, I think mechanics are changed.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Snorko likes this.
  12. Mino

Mino Active Member

Wow, just wow, took me 20 mins, gained .6 but managed to defuse a Level 6 chest @ 96.8 :D
    Snorko, Alvien and Kiryana like this.
  13. Alvien

Alvien Well-Known Member

Question - Can you remove traps on a box in another player's backpack?
  14. Mino

Mino Active Member

Never tried because I don't have snooping ...

Update: I defused & lockpicked Dragon's Den chests, RT 97.6

Snooping & Defuse: Gives a warning that's not accessible. You probably have to steal the box first which should be less than 10 stones total to steal it.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  15. Mino

Mino Active Member

You can use Britain Warrior's Guild crates if you want to raise it on the field at the start. Usually shop crates which are locked are trapped as well, along with locked strongboxes at shops. It's after brit exit bridge near West Brit bank.

For starters check shops with trapped and locked crates, numerous examples are: Provisioners crates Occlo, Skara & Trinsic Use DH skill to find hoardes of trapped crates. & boxes and work from there.

britbridgecrates.jpg

For tinker grinding.

Best is to use RT + (between 15 and 20) = Tinker skill template until 70 RT. Then you can go with GM tinkered stuff until 95 easily. After 95 it was a pain to gain with tinker boxes and it's better to field it with L4+ dungeon chests. Gains will be slow but you can compensate the boredom with gold you get from NPCs selling the stuff inside.

You can grind until GM with Level 4 dungeon chests but it will be slower ( I just did, but man poisoning skill is less grind to be honest). My first Level 6 defuse was at 96.8 So try to join high level treasure events after 95. Another trick is AMiBs.

Try to start with naked hands, and get gloves when you are between 95-GM on higher levels.
    Balthazaar likes this.
  16. Balthazaar

Balthazaar New Member

Thanks Mino - I was quite deflated the find out GMing this would basically only let me do lvl 4 chests (as say...tier 3 mage spell >>>>> GMing a very difficult skill to level) - but evidently mechanics have changed since so may yet still do my non-mage chest hunter.
    Kiryana likes this.
  17. Toe Jam

Toe Jam New Member

Could someone help me with writing the macro for raising Remove trap. I have my tinker ready but I cannot figure out the script!
  18. tallbib

tallbib New Member

I just returned to UOR, and all my chracters are quite noobs.
    In 2000 my favorite moneymaker was dungeon crawler with stealth and trap removing skills.
    So I decided to make one.
    It was big surprise that traps became valid for one-time use (in 2000 my tinker went perma red from his 5 lvl poison traps).
    So I had to invent new way.
    And I just found solution.
    All you need is one lockable small crate, that i placed in wooden box on the roof of my small tower.
    My tinker (82.3 atm) and crawler (Remove traps - 66,7 atm) stand near it and use their macros simultaneously.

Tinker (crate should be locked):
    - unlock crate
    - use tinker tool (as type, so stock several of them)
    - use make last (I already used made trap on my crate before start) on crate
    - pause 3 sec
    - lock crate
    - pause 2 sec
    upload_2023-1-4_19-11-51.png

***!!!*** This macro can be broken due to the server saves. So you have to check it every 15 minutes (because you can't trap the locked crate).

Crawler:
    - usual macro for trap removing

upload_2023-1-4_19-12-33.png
    If crawler failed, tinker simply will try to place new trap over old one with no loss of ingot & bolt.
    It works for me just fine.
    GL

UPDATE
    As it turned out there's no need for tinker to lock chest with trap.
    So macro for tinker now as follows:

Snap38.jpg

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|7864|True
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.6000000
    Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|21|0|0
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:03.5000000
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1146055259|1656|1096|13|3651
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:02

Also it's bulletproof now, it bypass server saves w/o any problems.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    San and Kiryana like this.
  19. Xavant_BR

Xavant_BR Well-Known Member

I just want to add: You can also use AMIB, ZOOK, CHRISTMAS Scrolls and Level 7 tmap Chests to raise the Lockpicking from 95 to GM. No need to suffer into level 4 dungeon chests.
    tallbib likes this.