Guide Writing Contest - Tman Memorial - Part 2 of 3

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by Treasureman_Retired, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Treasureman_Retired

Treasureman_Retired Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Greetings all,
    As everyone is fairly well aware.. I do not play that much anymore. I have secluded myself back into a resting state where I only refresh my houses and items once every 7 days. My new degree and new employment has been ever so hectic and demanding, but my degree path is what I enjoy doing. I want to give back to the server on a level not seen in a long time. Everyone seems so picky and hard headed to where greed slowly over takes the individual and they become uneasy to play with. I had intended on hosting a huge-glorious idocing event where all of my wealth and riches would be re-distributed back into the game. This is how I made my living, and where I witnessed the continuous cycle of items being re-filtered back into the game... this is what was enjoyable to me. Through close analyst of the server make-up and speaking with Chris, this would not be a good idea and a single guild or group would control the map and cause a lot of grief. Instead I will be hosting a guide writing contest, which will very much help the server and the load on Chris (which is what I am shooting for). This will help every player base, whether you are new or old, and will give a fair chance of everyone owning a piece of UOR history. To register for the event, simply just follow the directions below, and it will be heavily critiqued by Telamon, Zyler, and myself. The prizes will be based on how useful the guide is, how detailed/in depth it is, presentation, etc, etc.

There are no rules of whom may enter the contest, as it is open to all players(new or vet). If any changes are required to be made to the original post, I reserve the right to make reservations to make such changes, but the public will be notified of the changes and what they were.

****Disclaimer**** During the process, if no guide is found sufficient enough to be published as a working guide in is respective section, then no prizes will be awarded until a grand prize winner is found. This may sound harsh, but I want accurate-usable data for the players of UOR. These are my terms.

- Treasureman

(some text alignment and setup was borrowed directly from Gideon's guide event post from 2 years back)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Three guide needs have been identified and there will be a contest for each needed guide. I have decided to split the guide writing contest up into 3 different contests to ease the judging process and to make sure each respective guide need gets the attention it deserves, and it is not unorganized.

Guide Contest 2:

Guide Topic
    Events: Covering all UOR events with templates, discussions, strategies, etc. I want a thorough breakdown, including every aspect of each event and walk-through(s) in this guide. This will be the guide that eliminates all potential IRC questions by veterans or new players a like. The goal with this guide would be to redirect players to this guide and be done with it. I really liked the suggestion from Blackeye, and this seems to be an issue for the shard. You saw the competition from the first guide contest, so you know what kind of material we will be looking for.

Rules
    - Entries for this round are due by June 8th, 2016.
    - Entries can be made as either a forum post or as an article in the Compendium.
    - Entries can be original content or content already covered in an existing guide.
    - Please do not borrow/steal content without proper sourcing.
    - Multiple submissions are accepted but guides are judged individually.
    Quality over Quantity!

Judging
    - Guides will be judged based on: quality, information, and usefulness.
    - Guides will be judged completely on their own merit.
    - There will be 3 finalists (one grand prize winner, with up to 2 runner ups) ... where we will chose the guide we want to present to the server.

Prizes
    All prizes can potentially be distributed in the form of gold/plat/equivalents or substitute rares of the same combined value, upon request and if I have them available.

Grand Prize: Animated Red Flask w/ stand + 3 million gold pieces

rareanimatedredflask.jpg

Runners up: Full Suit of Phoenix Armor, Full set of mounted reindeer heads, "or" a Blood Elemental (depending on runner-up quality,etc)

rarephnxarmor.jpg

raredeer.jpg

rarebloodelestatue.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Canis, TrojanCow, Lyta and 10 others like this.
  2. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

*cracks knuckles*
    Basoosh and Gideon Jura like this.
  3. Treasureman_Retired

I was wondering when you would arrive, my friend.
  4. Treasureman_Retired

Under the Guide Contest 1 section, an editing was made by Zyler for clarity.
  5. Treasureman_Retired

Update: I thought it over, and have reached a new conclusion. For example, if two guides are thoroughly in depth and both prove to be grand prize material.. the result will be a tie. The two guides, essentially, will be merged into one single super guide. In this case, I will have no other option but to double the grand prize and each person will then split (only under unanimous judge voting), which will be rare but possible.
    Lyta, Gideon Jura and CaptainMorgan like this.
  6. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

I don't agree with fixing topics to these three specialized topics. You would probably get much more usable guides, if people could choose from the big list of all missing guides and cover their own topic. But on the other side, the quality of the guides will be much enhanced probably that way. It's just, that it's excluding many people that just haven't the experience while they sure could contribute in other topics alot, e.g. only very few vets do these lvl7 maps on a large scale. Also only few vet crackheads have explored the BOD world to it's end.

But it's a great idea and thanks for the event/contest!
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  7. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
  8. Treasureman_Retired

I actually couldn't agree more. Providing a large list of guides needed and allowing people to write on all aspects of the game would prove very enlightening. The only problem there would be the load on the judges (there are only 3 of us), and the limitation of prizes to only 3 individuals. I would probably have such an influx of insanely usable and robust guides, I wouldn't be able to properly gift everyone who deserved it. I understand where you are coming from, so prior to making this post, I asked some of the biggest and oldest players on this shard (including the shard developer/owner) on their take of the most needed guide sections and these 3 topics seemed to be the most used verb-age between all conversations. This is only the start of this event.. I have a stockpile of other suggestions for guides needed for the shard, and a semi-decent pile of stock to hand out for prizes (but it is limited). I hope you stay around until after this 3 part event is over.. I can always use more input on the next events, following these.
  9. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

hahahahaha
  10. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

There is already a very detailed guide to level 7 maps here. I had begun writing but when I found this I had to ask myself what else there really is to say about the matter.
  11. BlackEye

Probably stuff like walkthroughs, video-walkthroughs, template discussions and comparisons, rares and their spots and spawn details. All that kind of fun stuff, which is usually explored by oneself when doing dozens of them and investing a lot time.
  12. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

Aye, that is a good guide for Lv7 Tmaps.
    As Treasureman said, his discretion.
    I have an idea I'll float...
  13. Treasureman_Retired

Any open input on guide topic 2, blackeye? Anyone?
  14. BlackEye

You mean which topic to choose?

Choosing a topic again means specialization. But if I had to choose (very subjective!):

1) Thieving. Not just gaining skills, but the whole thing: All the different styles of thieving (at least 5-7 different styles), templates, macros, methods for escape, all the different situations for thieving (cities, field, dungeons, champs, harrower, tmaps, ...), thieving during all the different events of UOR, proper disguising, UOR specific mechanics, what to steal and what not, honor among thieves, pvm thieving if it must be, AMIBs roguish style, how to prevent thieving, proper setup of a thief's bag, use of multiple clients, how to write good tales, and and and...

2) Dexxer Bards (the only good way to dex in pvm): Template discussion, peace vs provo, disco or not, macros, hunt spots, gold/income per hour of spots, a guide to all feasible bosses, how to evade PKs, how to survive PKs if no evasion possible, how to recover fast, setting up bags, high-end slayer vs low-end slayer, dexxing in groups, dexxing during events, multi-client dexxing

3) Dungeon Crawling: The profitable way, all the tips and tricks in order to get up to 50k per hour out of dungeon crawling.

4) Events: Covering all UOR events with template discussions etc.

Reasons for my picks:

1) This hasn't been covered at all. Every new thief has to get that knowledge and skill by themselves or by asking around. Which is a good thing actually. People connect and have to try out things. Most new thieves just lack the motivation and endurance.

2) + 3): Two very good alternatives to get a good amount of income without riding the tamer train.

4) The Easter event and all the repeating questions in the IRC chans have shown, that there is some need for a FAQ and/or detailed description of efficient ways to participate.
  15. Rabbit

Rabbit Member

Insider IDOC guide.
    Treasureman_Retired and BlackEye like this.
  16. Treasureman_Retired

I'll compile some input and choose a topic. Was very impressed with your input Blackeye.
  17. Treasureman_Retired

Guide Topic 2: (Do not post for guide topic 2 yet, but you may start on it)

1) Thieving. Not just gaining skills, but the whole thing: All the different styles of thieving (at least 5-7 different styles), templates, macros, methods for escape, all the different situations for thieving (cities, field, dungeons, champs, harrower, tmaps, ...), thieving during all the different events of UOR, proper disguising, UOR specific mechanics, what to steal and what not, honor among thieves, pvm thieving if it must be, AMIBs roguish style, how to prevent thieving, proper setup of a thief's bag, use of multiple clients, how to write good tales, and and and...

Some of the other Blackeye idea's may be pulled over to future guide topics, because I plan on hosting events in the future within this area.

GJ Blackeye! Contact me via irc in the future days... to compensate you for the time and effort you put forth in assisting.
    BlackEye, Zyler and Gideon Jura like this.
  18. Jack of Shadows

How about a guide for the animal quest scroll. Detailing the best locations and ways to force the rare animal spawns, etc....
    BlackEye and MikeK like this.
  19. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

I don't think this is an urgent guide, but great idea.
    Jack of Shadows likes this.
  20. Jack of Shadows

Yeah I was just brainstorming for some of the little things we are lacking, if I had to think about writing a thief guide and UOR stealing mechanics it'd cause me to get bummed out and rage at the same time. My guide would be like "Wait for future patches because if you want the nostalgia and fun factor of era accurate stealing, you're going to be in for a disappointment." It's like asking for a pony for Christmas and getting a stuffed horse head on a stick.

Anyhow, I'll try to brainstorm a few more mini guide idea topics.
    MikeK likes this.