Hall of Heroes - gold/plat sink

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Dalavar, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

So one thing I was thinking of... every shard has players come and go, and most of the players who "go" are bequeathing their stuff to other players, thus not removing any wealth from the economy.

With the 1,000 platinum statue reward, I think there is a rather nice goal for many players to work towards. But I was also thinking... what if there was a house or unused room somewhere in the land that was like a "hall of heroes". And if you had a 1,000 platinum statue, you could have it put in there when you decide to retire (or, heck, while you still play)...

...have it put in there, for the modest fee of 5 million gold that is :)

Every shard tries to have gold sinks, and every shard tries to have some sort of "museum" to remind vets and show new players the history of the shard. Why not combine them?
  2. Dalavar

A few other thoughts while I'm thinking of this:

1) Chris has mentioned in the future the possibility of statues being able to incorporate the color of the wardrobe of the character. This would definitely be nice, both within this idea and beyond it.

2) This only works if there are NO EXCEPTIONS to the fee rules. Super nice, super legendary, super broke guy who we all want to be in there? Run a pledge drive for them.
    Huzke likes this.
  3. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

I think its a good idea.
    But also i think 5 million is too less.
    This includes checks?
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/?page=m_itemgraph&itemnum=EED&itemtype=Gold&gtype=single

However... 10 millions sound better.

My experience is you can farm about 40-50k pure gold in a hour. The one or other nice drop rises this higher by selling this items.
    A good merchant may also earn more money each hour - and a good merchant already needs seed money - so the richer gets richer with time... just see real life ;)

However, if this would be my goal as a newbie.... i could get there in just 3-4 months of continious but not permanent farming. Thats already a short time to become a legend. Halve that time with 5 million so to get it in 6-10weeks is not in the sense of this i think.

A normal player may easy get this gold in a year with casual playing. Thats ok.

Give it a direct gold buyable - not platinum. Platinum is no gold sink.
  5. Dalavar

I'm not going to get into this, as I've done so before and it's about as fun as banging my head into the wall. Suffice to say, I am more concerned about overall wealth depletion, rather than actual gold depletion.

As for whether it should be 5M or 10M to get a statue in there... heck, you could tie it to inflation and just say the cost is a flat 1-2% of the total gold+checks on the shard, or something like that. But in any case, 11M gold (5M gold pieces + 1,000 platinum) would make for 220 hours of farming at 50k/hr. That's farming for 2 hours, every single day, for 4 months straight, without a single day off. I don't see how someone could do that without becoming a known figure on this shard... and even then... this is not about who truly deserves or does not deserve to be in the hall. If it was, we'd make it free and you'd get in via vote. This is about taking gold and platinum out of the economy, with the bonus of having a nice little memorial that you can leave your mark on the shard without logging in every 13 days to refresh a leet house with leet rares that are being hoarded.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I like the idea, for gold, not platinum. Platinum doesn't really need any more sinks.

5-10M gold would be cool. I imagine some day I might pull together the scratch to pad my own ego with a sweet public statue of myself.

However, I really have no interest in the statues until I can get one that retains my actual character's wardrobe (correct hues, etc).
    Huzke likes this.
  7. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

i'm not sure that gp hoarding should be the ultimate measure of hero-dom.
  8. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

It sounds neat, though the character statues have never appealed to me.

But!

For the folks out there who have made big contributions to the shard but don't pursue an option like this for whatever reason, does that mean they shouldn't be a part of the history of the shard for new and old players to see?

It just seems like if there is going to be a shard history museum, that it shouldn't be based on grinding gold and platinum, but on the impact you've had here. And the staff and the community should determine that, not the farmers.
    Jupiter likes this.
  9. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Who wants to go in with me on making sure Noxmage is the first statue in the hall of heroes?
    Wodan and Huzke like this.
  10. Dalavar

ReZon:

I hate the idea of staff giving anything to anyone at any time. This is a game where the players can make almost anything they want happen. If there is a great injustice and a deserving player is not in there... if the community really thinks they should be, coming up with the funds is a pittance.

Above all, this is not about who deserves what. This is about pulling stuff out of the economy. Heck, call it the "Derek Zoolander Center for People Who Care About The Economy, and Want Other People To Care About It Too".
    Jupiter likes this.
  11. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

What about that handsome chap in your avatar?
    Mes likes this.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Perhaps Hall of Hoarders would be preferred? I think in any regard, however you name it, it would be really cool to allow players to buy a permanent fixture on the shard for historical and nostalgic purposes.
  13. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Interesting idea, there are a few unused large rooms in the world that would qualify, and I am a fan of building the history of the world in interesting ways.
    Wise likes this.
  14. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would def retire if I had to farm 5-10m gold. Hall of Villains could have all the worst players, and in each Hall there would be a book at the feet of the statue and you get to read their story. :D

I think it should have open donation center at the entrance of each building and you just drop gold in and when it hits a limit Chris can create one, instead of you personally farming all of it for a statue of yourself.
  15. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

I gotcha, and I am all for pulling excess stuff out of the economy. :)

Well, if we went down this route, maybe there could be different levels of things left behind. Maybe for a lesser amount (though still substantial - in the millions), an item could be immortalized with custom text? Like a large vase that says "the ashes of ReZon" :D

Just a thought.
    Dalavar and Wise like this.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Perhaps a bank and stable master for your guild town, for 100m gold. :p
  17. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

should be a lease, so 100 mil for a year or 25 mil for 2 months or something.

I love ReZon's I would love a butcher's knife of Blaise damnation ;)
    ReZon likes this.
  18. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

That would be the late, great, Nathan Order!
  19. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

I will back this idea if when Mes' statue goes up, that he be riding an ostard. This is non negotiable.
    Mes likes this.
  20. Dalavar

I was actually thinking about something very similar! So for example, if you have a longstanding grudge with someone, you could have their head that you took immortalized in there. Me, I am super proud of my dragon and my statue named after him, so I'd definitely be interested in paying for a spot for the dragon statue to be in there. If you were the shard's first GM Fletcher, maybe you'd want a GM-marked Bow in there or something. Or maybe you won the house deco contest, and you want the trophy from that displayed in there.

Custom naming is available for the 100-200 platinum monster statues, so I think for this kind of price tag, it would make sense as well. (Would also perhaps help show newer players the reason why something was in there, i.e. "a Supremely Accurate Battle Axe of Vanquishing, used by SoAndSo to win the first Friday Night Fights".)
    ReZon likes this.