Head name change conters any disguise kit

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by BlackEye, May 11, 2015.

1. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

It's just another one of the big issues for thieves. Once your head is distributed, no disguise kit works any more, because the name of the head changes according to your latest disguise. In my opinion that's a bug and makes no sense. I can imagine why it works like that due to the mechanics.

And guess what is happening right now (actually for a while) on UOR? My head gets distributed and people start knowing my disguise name. No dress and no acting helps anymore and I can totally screw my main player on any larger event (for example pwn champ spawns).

I know, I know, all my posts sound like whining, but that's just how it is.
  2. The Musician

The Musician Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

-
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
  3. BlackEye

Yeah, I even might have to use one of my other 14 accounts toons if this keeps on!
    The Musician likes this.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Buying head of any of BlackEye's thieves for disguise monitoring/notification. PM with prices.

JK.

While I do think it's fair that the actual character name be revealed once your head is removed (that pretty much 'cuts through' any potential disguise, I do think the actual concern needs to be fixed. Once the head is removed, it should no longer be tied to the character if there's no bounty to be had.

This is also a concern for Name Change Deeds and characters who have had their names changed for any reason. The heads will always update to reflect the current name of the character it was removed from.
  5. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Isn't this a server health concern? (If the heads are "linked" to the charname, it's a lot less things that need to be loaded into memory for the shard). I totally agree that it's unfortunate, but just trying to offer rationale.
  6. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

This may be related to the strange fact that if you use a character name-change deed on your crafter, all previously crafted items will hold the NEW name despite when they were created. I found this to be weird and unfortunate.
  7. Tuco

Tuco Well-Known Member

Srsly? Oh that sucks! a lot!

Now this particular effect I enjoy. Just had my crafter's name changed yesterday and saw her clothes were updated with the new name too. On crafters I find it nifty, but this name changing ex-body part of mine sucks a lot.

It's hard out here for a pimp thief.
  8. Skouros

Skouros Member

This is currently being exploited left and right to track my presence by those who wish to keep their pockets safe and/or harass me because I'm a thief. Its downright broken and it should be a punishable offense if caught exploiting this bug.

Just now I stole my head back from one player Veronica, and something like a minute later John Galt comes running up to kill me (with foreknowledge that I am now perma grey) and kills me on the spot to acquire another head replacement.

Another player has recently been demanding my heads as payment for my crimes (while physically harassing me killing me when im not even perma-grey in guard zones). I gave him 4 of my heads to leave me the hell alone. It seems to have at least slowed him down.

This is only compounded by the fact that I am repeatedly told by mods that players are immune to harassment accusations if their harassment is against a thief (me). Or I'm just flat out ignored by them.

The injustices against thieves on this server are compounding, and I've been here less than a month. I am seriously considering leaving for somewhere thieves aren't treated like this. This is the only playstyle I enjoy.
    BlackEye likes this.
  9. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

i just walked into occlo and saw you grey and attacked (you weren't perma but also displaying grey)

and i took your head because i stack them on my rooftop sometimes

most people recognize npc names as thieves anyways
  10. Skouros

Skouros Member

You're right, I was grey. Awful coincidence that you ran up right then, after I stole of all things my head. You, someone I know to be a tracker, someone who I have certainly annoyed on at least one occasion (for which I apologize, I was being a bit of an ass). Awful coincidence that you happen also to collect heads. Awful coincidence that you instantly ran to my exact location from the moongate, not recalled in from somewhere, not approached from the other side of the bank. Look, I'm not saying you're lying but damn... you have to admit its pretty off if you're not, right?

I spend a lot of time around the back side of Ocllo bank... I don't see you very often there, almost never...

Doesn't change the fact that this bug is being abused and it should be a high priority to be fixed. Combined with the Tracking skill (which I *KNOW* you are aware of) you can know the approach of any thief, track that thief, and often kill them. Tracking itself is borderline in my opinion, if a player is stealthing it should be exponentially more difficult to track them off screen than when they are just running about, but I accept that as part of the tracking skill, it needs to stay a good useful skill.

This is not a skill, this is a bug that is being exploited, regardless of how supposedly easy it is to recognize names. This bug completely negates a huge portion of the thief game. Imagine if a tamer bug prevented dragons from being pets. Maybe you think this isn't so extreme as that, but this is a big part of thieves, and tamers can use other pets to fight. I think they are equivalent.

Imagine the outcry if a bug caused dragons to cease being possible to use as pets. It would be fixed yesterday. This has been going on since at LEAST last May, probably far longer...

:(
  11. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

it really was a total coincidence

i just came out of the moongate and there you were

As far as whether heads and incognito/name changes/disquise kits should function the way they do I don't really care either way. I don't often hold onto a thief's head to check it unless I'm in a crowd and expecting them to return.
  12. BlackEye

Please, debug that.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  13. Skouros

Skouros Member

Its worth noting that only the head has this "feature". Other body parts work just fine and maintain the disguise name from what I have seen.

This probably is the way it is in order to ensure players can always turn in the heads of murderers for bounty rewards, even if the murderer cast Incognito on themselves. Keeping the head of a thief is arguably more productive than keeping / using the head of a murderer. I'm not aware of whether the bounty system is functioning or has been fixed to be more functional on this server. Its difficult to get around the possibility of having a friend turn one's head in to keep the bounty on the murderer's own head.

My guess is this entirely exists to fix a minor issue with the Incognito spell, but as a side effect allows a major function of thieves to be exploited into uselessness (for those aware of the functionality).
  14. BlackEye

@Chris , please help us thieves here!