Hello from a new guy, just a few questions :) .

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Loode, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Loode

Loode New Member

Hello everyone.

As you've guessed im new to the shard, been in and out of UO for years but would still class myself as a bit of a newbie :p

now firstly when im following the link on the homepage to the renaissance IRC it connects says im banned then disconnects me but ive never used it before any ideas there?

id like to know if resource gathering (mining,lumberjacking) is very profitable on this shard? alot of people may say make a bard archer as your first char they make lots of gold blah blah blah
    but ive done all that on previous chars and actually dont mind playing a gatherer.

id also like to know is gathering quite dangerous if i wanted to collect the rarer ores or trees?
    would that require some kind of gatherer/mage/dexxer hybrid for best results?

and lastly is there much competition here for selling resources? id love a ingots and planks shop :p

thanks for reading :)
    newme and ReZon like this.
  2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome, I'm only a month and a bit in myself so take this advice with that in mind!

From what I've seen, understand and experienced lumberjacking is a good resource gathering skill in regards to GPH (gold per hour) especially when you have high enough LJ to collect oak boards. (80.1+ I think - someone else will correct me if I'm wrong)

With regards to the safety of that, someone recently made a UOAM filter that shows the location of oak bearing trees and I'm sure you can utilise that to check for guard zones etc.

It's awesome.

AFK resource gathering is not allowed and there's a system in place that makes sure you're actually at the computer called the AFK gump, don't try and cheat it or you'll end up in jail for various different lengths dependent on the number of previous offences.

Peace dexxers ARE a good way to make gold, especially if you utilise the young program to the maximum - which you totally should.

Best advice, which is echoed all over the forums is just to join, run around, have fun, find your play style and enjoy.

This is hands down the absolute bees knees when it comes to UO free shards and you're sure to have an absolute blast.

If you're into resource gathering I advise you check out the BOD system which is a little confusing and potentially overwhelming st first but if you can get the swing of it it's crazy profitable and has awesome rewards for trade characters.

Good luck, welcome and enjoy!
    ReZon, Mercy, Pekka and 2 others like this.
  3. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome to the shard @Loode If you enjoy gathering resources and selling then go for it! Great thing about this game is there are soooo many ways to play it.

Some links to check out as a new player, Ocllo New Player Housing and a Getting Started video I made that you might learn a few tricks from.
    ReZon and newme like this.
  4. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Welcome! Provocation is an extremely useful starting skill. If you need help macroing it, see my guide in my signature.
    newme likes this.
  5. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Greetings new adventurer. Welcome to our world.

Do take full advantage of our Young Program, it's a great way to become familiar with the server, build skills and resources, and figure out what /how you wish to play the game. Just about every char build you can have. 3 accounts 15 characters.

After you leave Ocllo, couple suggestions. All of West Brit farmlands are in protections. Can lumberjack, mine there. Staff was kind enough to put forges along the mountain, so mining easy.

Also in T2A, lot of forges placed about the land, many mountain ranges there.

When you feel ready for it, there is also Cave mining. Check out the Gargoyle Shovels to learn about the monster and ore spawns.
    Great yields, but more risky.

Tons of guides on forums, help you figure out to build characters, use macros, etc.

Our player community is fantastic, and staff wonderful.
  6. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

If you want to know if gathering is a lucrative profession, trust me it is . I have funded the training of all 15 chars from my 3 accounts through mining. If you have the type of passion for tedious but rewarding programming with razor you can make big bucks. People may remember my three chars, the half orcs Duz-luk, Bolggrom, and U'rog slaving away naked in the mines of Ocllo dungeon. You can do this during your young status. I even gm'ed my smith during young status. After you're done with the young program there are places you can still mine in relative safety such as West Britain's mountains and Wind believe. I'm assuming about Wind, since it makes sense that you would be able to mine there with it being underground and all.

Also, there is the fishing profession, which I hear is quite lucrative in it's own right.
    newme likes this.
  7. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

Welcome to UOR @Loode

If you have not joied the young program and wants to join it, then type

[young

And hit Wagon Return (Enter)

Many players here are loaded with gold that they do not have a clue how to use, so they will gladly give them to you and get some resources in return. To get most benefit out from your gatherer, I do suggest a true Lumberjack with Swordfighting and that you do Gargoyle Mining but that will require that you get Garg Pickaxes and shovels but they are sold cheap at our shop next to Yew Moongate and don't buy all please as I also need to buy some time to time, please... :p

You will get them if you hand in BODs

Cove Mining caves do have a player that visits them time to time and tries to act likea wanna be killer, but he failed every time he met me. I did not kill him but I succeeded to flee with my ingots while attacking back :cool:
    newme likes this.
  8. Loode

Loode New Member

Thankyou all for the quick replies.

now too my other problem, this is what happens when i try log onto the irc both through the website and Mirc, any help wold be apprecited.
    upload_2017-8-9_10-45-14.png
  9. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This appears to be something that has nothing to do with the server, but is instituted by the Chat4All admin. You will need to contact them. There appears to be a link on that error message for it. That looks to be your best bet.
    newme likes this.
  10. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

Are you on a shared wifi? Or are you connecting from home?
  11. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Sometimes they ban whole isp's. You need to contact them to clear your ip.