Hello from AO

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by AOٌ, Jan 6, 2018.

1. AOٌ

AOٌ Well-Known Member

Hello every one, I am just returning after a good long 10 or so years since I played renaissance ^.^ about 3 years ago I was playing UO Second Age, but there are some differences between the era's and I am a bit lost hehe.

Really looking for any sort of advice or assistance getting on track :) my brother got me playing again and so far we have A small house but that is basically it, took forever to make enough gold for that house.

Currently working on a mage bard to get my funds rolling, 94 musicianship and 73 provocation so far.. I ran out of regs today and gold so grinding magery is impossible.

7xGM skills for bard mage so far..
    Eval intel.
    Magery
    Meditation
    Music
    Provoke
    Resist spells
    Wrestling
    (Basically mirror image of my UO:SA bard..)

I am also interested in PVP and want to create a Dexxer Mage..
    7xGM skills..
    Anatomy
    Healing
    Magery
    Tactics
    Swords
    Mace
    Resist spells...
    (Mirror to my UO:SA Dexxer..)

Anyways I am glad to meet every one and hope we can have some fun times :)

Is there a guild dedicated to helping new players or somesuch?
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    One and Imbol like this.
  2. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Welcome!! This is MUCH better than UOSA. You also know how to make templates, those are certainly 2 good ones!

Contact @Lord Krake and the PS guys.

There are several “provo” houses out there designed to help you GM provo in no time. Krake can help you get in the PS one and I know KoS has another. Maybe @Lightshade can help you get into that one.
    One, Lord Krake, AOٌ and 1 other person like this.
  3. AOٌ

AOٌ Well-Known Member

Sounds great to me! I will see about contacting them:) but hoping they find me first haha takes me a minute to figure this all out
  4. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I don't know much about templates, but welcome aboard!
    AOٌ likes this.
  5. AOٌ

AOٌ Well-Known Member

Thanks, doing well so far, loving my return
  6. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

Welcome AO. I ran into you yesterday.

A good bard mage template here is:

Magery
    Meditation
    Eval
    Music
    Provoke
    Discord
    Peacemaking

Mostly doing high-end farming like Balron, Bloods, or T-maps for gold.

With the barding skills and Magery, you can be pretty balanced on the offensive/defensive but more vulnerable to player's attacks.

Also, as far as the PvP template you posted. Looks great. I would suggest maybe Fencing for it's Paralyzing blow attack. It's pretty strong at pinning down mages or people on the run.

Good luck!
    One and AOٌ like this.
  7. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

His barding template is perfect. I enjoy a provo mage much more than a “pure” bard that will get steamrolled by mobs or PK’s.
    One and AOٌ like this.
  8. SativaGreen

It's a matter of perspective, I guess. Steamrolled by mobs? Never. As far as PK and players, more vulnerable, yeah. But a simple recall macro and trapped pouch handles most PKs on this server (the 2 of them).

But this template is more for farming Balrons or soloing level 5 t-maps.
    AOٌ likes this.
  9. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

A provo mage can farm balrons without a problem. But yes, it all depends on playstyles.

And my temp to solo lvl 5’s is even more amazing, you should try it:
    Carto
    LP
    Mage
    Med
    Music
    Provo
    Hiding
    Poogoblin and AOٌ like this.
  10. AOٌ

AOٌ Well-Known Member

I changed my hopeful PvP account to a peace Dexxer to aid my farming, and will be more than interested in figuring out the PvP aspect of UOR as soon as I can fund it.

So switch.. Wrestling with Discord and Resist with peacemaking..

I've never used either discord or peacemaking skills so really not sure what they are about hehe, the stats would be 100/25/100?

To be honest that is how I have always done a bard mage, resist and wrestling, having never messed with Discord and Peace it makes me nervous lol
  11. SativaGreen

Discord lowers the stats and skills of the target, making them much easier to kill.
    Peace can pacify a target almost endlessly, as the Cooldown is generally up as soon as the pacification wears off. When you use it on yourself, it pacifies everything in a radius around you, giving time to get away from MOBs or cast an invis/recall/cure/heal whatever you need.

Wrestling and Resist are great, if you are taking damage. A good bard shouldn't be taking much and if you're decent with mechanics, you shouldn't be dying to monsters as a mage.

Also, Barding skills at GM give a chance of success to the other barding skills. So being a full bard you generally succeed on all skills within the first few attempts (can even discord and provoke the end bosses).

Yeah, I run 100/100/25. If I feel like someone is going to attack, I hit my recall macro and bank any goods. This character is not intended for PVP.
    AOٌ likes this.
  12. SativaGreen

I would imagine it takes a long time to solo the spawn like that. Full bard/eval mage would clear the spawn much faster. But again, playstyles.
  13. AOٌ

AOٌ Well-Known Member

Thank you very much!
  14. Ravicus

Ravicus New Member

One question about the Peace/Dexxer template. Now when you are fighting do you do area peace or do you do single target peace. I suppose it might be situational but generally I would assume area peace if fighting more than one mob?
  15. SativaGreen

Yes, situational. However, if your "Barding skill" is high enough, you will regain the peacemaking cooldown before the MOB beings attacking again, where you're free to self target peacemaking, use another skill, or simply spam peacemaking on that target again. As a Dexxer , I would generally avoid fighting in a group of MOBs. Try to lure your target away from the group and solo it down for the best results.

Hope that helps.
    Ravicus likes this.
  16. Ravicus

Ravicus New Member

one more question, and sorry for hijacking the thread, I will quit I promise :). What about using archery for this template? heavy xbow for instance.
  17. AOٌ

AOٌ Well-Known Member

Haha no problem feel free to keep asking stuff cuz I dont know it either, all good info.

I heard Archery is pretty ineffective... but not sure
    Ravicus likes this.
  18. SativaGreen

Archery just doesn't hold up as well as the other weapon skills for three main reasons:

-Cannot repair weapons (no repair deeds or powder of fort doesn't work apparently?)
    -No special ability (like Paralyzing Blow, Crushing Blow, or Concussion; being able to hit from distance is considered Archery's *special*)
    -Needs ammo

These issues we're prevalent through UO:R for Archery and it wasn't until later on that it received a buff. I would imagine it would be viable in the future here but for now, it's recommended to go with another weapon skill or Magery, if you want a ranged attack.

If you can get past those shortcomings, go for it!
    One and Ravicus like this.
  19. Ravicus

Ravicus New Member

thank you very much. I was not aware of it not having specials. that is a major drawback for archery.
  20. SativaGreen

No worries. I always used Archery for fishing or pirating in this era. Feel free to post any other questions here, as any other new members will benefit from it.
    AOٌ and Ravicus like this.