Hello, Goodbye

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Gollum, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Gollum

Gollum Member

Hi all! Your friendly neighborhood thief Gollum here.

It's come time for me to hang up my boots and move on back to real life things. Before I retire into the sunset, I thought it was only fair to share some of my experiences from the few short months I've been here and leave a parting gift for all to enjoy.

The Good - Community
    Right after logging in for the first time, I could tell the player base here was much different from prior free shards I've played on. Much like my years on original OSI shards, I was far more likely to find people willing to help and laugh off the small things instead of the LOL NOOB U SUCK pimply face teenagers many of us were when we started playing some 20 years ago. Being a thief, it wasn't uncommon for me to steal from someone, them laugh about how they weren't expecting it, and me eventually returning their stuff and both of us wishing the best on future endeavors.

The Good - Staff
    Having been a developer/administrator on another large free shard (which we'll leave unnamed) for many years, I've seen first-hand how corrupt staff and strained staff/player relationships can cause a good community to fall apart very quickly. The transparency and availability of the staff here to communicate and interact appropriately with players is awesome. Being able to PM Telamon in IRC to get his opinion on something and know he'll message back let me know they really do care about the continued health of the shard. Also, their custom event content is top-notch and is what really drew me in to stay longer than I originally expected.

The Good - Limited Glowly Things!
    Another thing that sets this shard apart from others is the lack of crazy neon and layered clothing/items all over the place. Those things just take away from the feeling of nostalgia which is the reason many of us hop on these free shards - to relive the glory days of our youth! All of the special hues that do exist here fit that classic feel and strike a good balance between boring and OMG MY EYES.

The Bad - Tamers, Tamers, Everywhere
    I'll say this up front - I hate tamers. Never even made one on OSI because as we all remember, ALL KILL = NO SKILL :p. On a serious note, I tried the Thanksgiving event with a tracker/mage, provo/dexer, and pure bard, but I wouldn't get close to getting the mobs killed before a swarm of tamers would descend on the camp to kill me and then steal the mobs. So after Thanksgiving, I sucked up my pride and made a tamer to prepare for the Christmas event! Christmas rolls around and I'm feeling prepared.

The next few weeks goes like this:
    1. Find mob to myself
    2. Gate in tamer
    3. Get mob down 25% or so
    4. Gate opens, 3x multi-client tamers spam all kill on me, then the mobs I was working on
    5. Tamers laugh, collect the scroll that would have been mine, and leave with a parting LOL U SUCK NOOB

Hey - it's Felucca! Those things happen! The difference is, not a single person back in the day would be multi-clienting 3x anything, much less tamers with 2 drags and a mare each. I'll admit I'm a little rusty on PVP (although I did win many dueling tournaments back in my prime :D), but there's no comparison of surviving a single player vs 3x tamers that insta-kill anyone with just an "all kill".

Chalk it up to bad luck, but those same few greedy bad apples spent the entire event griefing myself and others in the same 5 steps above and ultimately let me know it was time to get back to real life.

The Bad - Gate Baiters
    Many of the same exact offenders from above (yes you - Wyatt Earp! o_O) I reported a few times previously for dropping random gates in Ocllo to their trapped house to get new players to fall for. I think I helped over a dozen new players get back on their feet in one night from the barrage of griefing. Gotta say seeing Wyatt and others like him continue to grief here and drive folks away from the Christmas event didn't sit well with me. But that's not for me to decide!

And lastly,
    Gollum's Last Will and Testament
    Being a role-playing Robin Hood, I figured it was only appropriate to give back to those I may have stolen from and those who may not be fortunate to have 3X tamers to compete with the big dogs this Christmas season and offer to donate all of my collected scrolls to be run as public events. Not exactly sure how to go about it, but open for suggestions. Ideally, I'd prefer to exclude a list of players I know to be guilty of the griefing and greediness listed above, but know that may not be possible. Let me know what you guys think!

scrolls.jpg

TL;DR: Great shard, great staff, a few bad apples that need to be dealt with. FREE CHRISTMAS SCROLL EVENTS!
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Vengeance, Dr Satan, eherruh and 16 others like this.
  2. Animal Control

Animal Control Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You're the reason I'm constantly casting reveal! Later dude
    eherruh and Althorn like this.
  3. jumpman

jumpman Well-Known Member

I second this. Thanks for keeping me on my toes.
  4. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Hey, I saw you running around plenty!!
  5. Jester1

Jester1 Active Member

As one who plays a Tamer (just starting here, so still in training), I think there is as place. I don't believe in Multi-Client anything (other than training, or transferring goods).

With that said, I can totally understand how this can can become an issue. I hate that a few abusers cause ANYONE to leave this server. I don't even hunt dungeons during these evens for specifically that reason.

Hopefully you will reconsider leaving, as good people attract good people. And this shard has TONS of good people. We simply can't let the bad eggs, paint an inaccurate picture of a shard that (in my opinion) is better than OSI was on it's best day. Great Staff, Great players (for the most part), and great content!
  6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

7. Mozz Hexor

Mozz Hexor Member

I totally agree with the abuse by the 3X client Tamers and the gate baiting. Hate to see you go Gollum. I have refused to play a tamer for the same reasons, but you can't compete as a mage/bard. Not sure why tamers can't be nerfed to more reasonable levels.
    Poogoblin, Seba, JimmyTheHand and 4 others like this.
  8. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

HEAVYPETTING needs to return and save us from the excess tamer population!!
    Zyler, One and Ponne like this.
  9. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Do you have triple box tamers? How were you able to get so many scrolls without?
  10. Kermit

Kermit Well-Known Member

Its sad but i must agree with Gollum.
    Faced these people with these multi accounts played at same time and u can't do much.
    They have no respect at all for others and feel powerfull to be so strong with internet.
    I have stoped to hunt scrolls due to these people, griefing, clean looting, no respect ...

I m just happy i was able one time to train them back and get some of their drags killed.

See u later all
  11. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Public Event -

Open the scroll in a large house. Don't let anyone into the house riding a mare or with pets in tow...

I got just the place for your opening of the Scrolls... Resist Event was just held there.
    One, ElleFeyRa, Ahirman and 2 others like this.
  12. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member

I don't mind the tripple boxing, I just don't like the assholes. There are plenty of tripple box tamers that find their own and don't jump everyone elses shit.

I've managed to get around 20 scrolls so far just using a bard and EV scrolls.
    Dr Satan, jumpman, One and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ponne

Ponne Well-Known Member

Dont even have 3 tamers but alright. You fucked with me. You get fucked, you messed with someone and they messed with you back. I never said you suck noob. But hell it was pretty funny how when you were about to die you dropped the scroll for us right next to a house wall. Thanks for that one.

Sucks to see anyone leave UOR. But hell dont jump random gates in town bro. That aint a smart thing. Label me a griefer all you want. This event you gotta keep on ur toes man. Fight back. Take it back. Get people who can back you up.

This is felucca. Its free for all.
    Cheapsuit and Althorn like this.
  14. Ponne

Ponne Well-Known Member

Who was HEAVYPETTING. Like who was his main.
  15. jumpman

jumpman Well-Known Member

Does your rub lie with the concept of triple boxing in general or simply with the griefers themselves? Or is the fact that your anti-tamer stance is being commingled with your frustration regarding the unsavory acts of a few individuals?

Personally this has always been my favorite event of the year. However, like many, much of my time is allocated to family events during the holidays, thus I choose to farm scrolls in the most efficient manner possible given the limited window of availability. Insert: triple boxing with a lead tracking tamer.

Are there other ways to pull scrolls? Of course. I've seen solo mages casting EVs, solo dexers, bards, PK groups, and the like. Are each of these templates and approaches more "fun" than triple boxing? Perhaps, but not my cup of tea personally.

Glad you enjoyed your time here. Hope to see you again soon.
    eherruh and Ponne like this.
  16. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

nice, yea you surprised me being on top of a mob all stealthy like, but your greed got the best of you. As a dirt nap was the only thing in your future. BTW I did it on my provo mage, not a tamer.

Geat Jobbie , Bro!
    Ponne likes this.
  17. Talon Karde

Talon Karde Well-Known Member

Sorry to see you go Gollum. The griefers are definitely few, but they play a lot and have caused a lot of people to not play.

It sucks.

I dont think its ANYTHING about tamers though. The highest end content.. tamers are actually worthless. It's about griefers and those that find joy in ruining the fun for others.

Hope you reconsider!
    Reemer, JimmyTheHand and jumpman like this.
  18. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Goodbye, fellow honest business man.
    One likes this.
  19. Ponne

Ponne Well-Known Member

How is stealing peoples christmas mobs considered "Griefing" you dont want it stolen go whoop their ass.
    compsays and Althorn like this.
  20. merlin8666

merlin8666 Well-Known Member

Never encountered you, but judging on your parting note I must say that we are losing a valuable player. Thank you for naming and shaming, this does get seen by everyone and is registered.

All the best dude!
    Sheepdog and Leopold like this.