Help a new player with Crafting build please.

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Momo, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Momo

Momo Member

I want to create a crafter but with some specific conditions, so I’m not sure which 7 skills she should have. I want to just have ONE Bard/Mage (current main), and ONE crafter (this one).

1) Does not need all crafting skills, it may have only 1 or 2 crafting skills.

2) One skill must be Item Identification.

3) I want to have ONLY this character and my main (Bard/Mage). So this character must not rely on materials from other characters, except from my Bard/Mage. This character either needs to collect her own resources, buy from NPC, or get from my Bard/Mage (ex. leather).

4) I do not want this character to fight, AT ALL.. I want this one to either stay in town, or home mostly. I just want her to be mostly macroing & crafting. I wish this character to either just simply die if met with PKer, or if possible not leave town or home (or stay in Occlo where PKers dont really come).

5) Doesn’t really need to be super profitable, so she can have skills like Cooking or Fletching. But it would be nice to be able to make some gold from this character.

Thank you in advance. I would love some ideas!! Thanks!
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  2. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

Carpentry
    Tinkering
    Tailoring
    Item ID
    some smith 55
    some music 45

2 skill left

From there you can make alot of stuff
    If your end game is gold from vending might be different

Resource gatherers are good, lumberjacking (great for a dexxer) and mining for ingots
    Hopefully others will add advice
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  3. Momo

Momo Member

Im curious, what does smith 55 and music 45 give? Also do you think I can skip tinkering, since that would require mining?

Thanks!
  4. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

When considering your set conditions, I think this leaves you with...

Tailoring - bard can aquire all the leather types you will need
    Alchemy - self provided via shopping
    Inscription - again, self provided

All other crafting requires resource gathering skills ... mining and/or lumberjacking

A crafter for a bard to me would be...

tailoring
    carpentry
    musicianship (for instrument crafting) / rest in magery (to recall)
    cartography
    hiding
    lockpicking
    item identification

But then I remember that of those crafting skills, items my bard will find as loot will surpass the crafted items. If you wish to fill some BoD orders for the experince of it, that's another story.

If not...

Then when reading the last line of your post I completely jump the shark and suggest no crafting skills at all considering the set parameters.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  5. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I find carpentry, tailoring and blacksmithy the most useful skills. If you have a bard, then a bit of music could be good so you can make your own GM instruments (the compendium says GM music is needed, but it was my understanding only about 45 was required, can anyone confirm?). I would use the odd points towards magery simply to have the practicality of recall. Tailoring and smithing get you in on the BoD game, which can be fun and profitable. I like mining too since it helps for gathering AND improves the yield when smelting items.

The last skill is up for grabs. You could go gatherer with lumberjacking. Or have alchemy, which can also be profitable (in the long run). Or tinkering to make your own tools and not depend on store bought. Inscription could be somewhat profitable (but your bard will surely run into A TON of scrolls while hunting). Or arms lore to see what condition items are in.

Carpentry
    Tailoring
    Blacksmithy
    Mining
    Item ID
    Music 45
    Magery 55
    [Insert last skill here]
  6. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

For Sure
    Mage 60 med 40
    Tailor
    Tinkering (buy the ingots, valuable crafting skill)
    Carpentry
    Lumber Jacking
    Item Id

Last Slot Options
    Alchemy
    Hiding
    The best skill to make money without the issues of PK's or major mobs, is mining. There is always someone willing to buy iron ingots at 8-9gp each and colored ingots for 18-23gp each. The more you have the more someone is likely to buy them. This is what my recommendation is for a great crafting char, that can make more money then your bard.

Mage 60 med 40
    Tailor
    Tinkering
    Carpentry
    Item Id
    Blacksmith
    Mining

Also I would get into Bulk Order Deeds, great way to get items in game that are hard or expensive to get, but play right off the skills this character has available.

GM crafted instruments are a few hundred gold, not worth spending 50 skills points on.
  7. Tpain

Tpain Active Member

[​IMG]

I use this crafter to gate around my other crafters collecting bulk orders. Going to drop meditation for something like fletching, alchemy (have on another toon) item id could go here, cooking, whatever.

45 music good for making gm instruments for your bard toon, dont have a need to put it anywhere else for a house sitter.
  8. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

If you make a char that's mining tact anat healing lumberjack swords 50mage 50med, you can be a mega harvester. I know that's not your criteria for the crater but it can support any home body crafter.
  9. Momo

Momo Member

Thank you all for these wonderful suggestions!

Really, thank you so much.

I have a question. Some said Inscription. Does the inscription skill require magery? I mean at 60% magery, is it still possible to craft everything in Inscription?
  10. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

No but, you'll likely want GM meditation with inscription as it uses a spell's mana when inscining the scroll.
  11. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

you only need 45 mana in order to inscribe any of the spells. GM med will help you write spells faster. although great in theory, I think full spell books can be bought for about 2500 gp. I have it on my mage, but that is for the pvp attributes.
    Jupiter likes this.
  12. Momo

Momo Member

Thank you all for suggestions. Here is what I like so far. My only questions are:

1) Will my carpenter be able to make every single Carpentry item with these skills? Do carpenters need a lot of ingots?

2) What skill would be the last 45% skill?

3) What would be the bare minimum on Magery, to 100% recall? Also, if I took out Magery, to have my Bard/Mage gate around... will she not be able to craft some items?

4) Would any Dex help this character at all? What would be ideal stats?

Lumberjacking
    Tinkering
    Carpentry
    Tailoring
    Item ID
    Music 45
    Smith 55
    Magery 60
    ??? 45

Thanks!
  13. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

1. I don't think so... I believe altars/pentagrams require 75 magery.

2. ^^^

3. According to the magery compendium on the UOR website it's 50.00

4. I don't think so... unless it came down to squeezing skill and using stats to tweak the shown skill. 100/25/100
  14. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I have pretty much a pure crafter, GM tailoring, tinkering, carp, smithing, Item ID, music (for making instruments) and arms lore (for checking my chars armor and weapons).

If you want this char to supply your bard/mage, you could have carp and music to make instruments however they are pretty cheap elsewhere and there is always someone willing to make you one if need be, so probably not worth to have music at all. Even if you have no intentions of doing smithing or tailoring bods, get those smithing and tailoring skills to 70 real at least so you can pull small bods. Sometimes people will buy those at 3k a piece if they are flips or maybe more if you get something valuable, such as dull copper bods that people use to get the fortification powder. Save your small iron bods (no plate) and sell them in bulk to players looking to buy iron flips. I purposely keep 2 other tailors/smiths at 70 for this purpose, collecting small bods while my main crafter gets the bigger ones.

If you do go the bod route, you'll definitely want enough magery to recall with no problem.
  15. Tpain

Tpain Active Member

MoMo, copy what I posted. Its a good build.

Why 55 blacksmith? Thats not enough for bod collecting, or anything worthwhile at 55? put that ??45 into BS

Also I disagree with lumberjacking in crafter builds. Heres why.
    This server gives a dmg bonus to the fighter with this skill. When using axes. Its worth it.
    My lumberjack build.
    Sword, Lumber, Tactics, Anatomy, Magery, Resist, and Healing. Hes very strong and fun to use at events, and can gather safely in the world. Protecting his trusty pack horses.

My battle miner, for stone elementals and such. Has BS/Tail for more bods
    Macing
    Tactics
    Anatomy
    Healing
    Mining
    Blacksmith
    Tailoring

Now you have a miner that can kill ore elementals, and a LJ that can gather wood and do holiday events.
    The crafter can gate them around with 85 magery, can do with reggies but I prefer scrolls to avoid fails. Have fun
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    PaddyOBrien likes this.