Hero/Evil old, revised, and suggestions.

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Tashlin, Dec 4, 2012.

Hero/Evil System

1. Definately

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Nah

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Hell Yeah! but only if it's revamped and more balanced

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. Tashlin

Tashlin Member

The Hero/Evil system was the first "faction" based warring system in UO. Unless you count color guilds from the Abyss the server

I dug up and found the original hero evil system - I removed a few aspects that don't apply because of newer systems in place.

I also dug up the revised faction based hero/evil system - I preferred hero/evil being seperate/overlapping but not neccessarily a part of factions.

I will post both in seperate replies to this thread.

Personally There's things I like and don't like from both.

But I'll let everyone else discuss first.
  2. Tashlin

Tashlin Member

Here is the Original Hero/Evil

Type of Characters:

0 - Not Aligned (Innocents are blue characters (good karma))

1 - Evil Character

2 - Hero

Becoming Evil:

1 - Your Character must have at least 24 hours of play

2 - You must go to a Shrine and say: "I am evil incarnate"

3 - Once you become Evil it's permanent and irrevocable

Becoming a Hero:

1 - Your Character must have at least 24 hours of play

2 - You must go to a Shrine and say: "I will defend the virtues" or Kill lots of Evil Characters

3 - You can't be red, can't have any murder counts and can't be member of Thieves Guild, Minax Faction or Shadowlords Faction or you can't become a hero

Evil Characters:

1 - Turn permanently red and freely attackable

2 - Gain the title of "the Evil"

3 - Gain the tag of "[evil]" attached to their name

4 - Can't resurrect in Virtue Shrines (only at Chaos Shrine and Healers)

5 - Are protected in Justice regions by guards (like inocents)

6 - Healing an Evil is a criminal act

7 - Evil Characters are grey for hero characters

Hero Chacacters:

1 - Gain the title of "the Hero"

2 - Gain the title of "[hero]" attached to their name

3 - If a Hero is reported for murdering he loses all his powers and titles (become not aligned again but gain the title "the Fallen Hero" and are gray to evils for another 5 minutes)

4 - Hero Characters are grey for evil characters

Evil/Hero Characters Special Powers:

1 - A 24 hours Evil/Hero Character starts with:

* Sphere: 1

* Lifeforce: 10

2 - If a more advanced character become a Evil/Hero character begin with higher lifeforce and sphere

3 - If you're an Evil character using evil powers you have to say "I invoke my evil powers". This will
    bring up a menu. To use a power you have to speak the word displayed in that menu

4 - If you're a Hero for using good powers you have to say "I invoke my good powers". This will
    bring up a menu. To use a power you have to speak the word displayed in that menu

Gaining Power:

1 - When a hero kills an evil, a proportion of the evil's lifeforce is transferred to the hero (up to 20%), and the evil's corpse is fully lootable.

2 - When an evil kills a hero, they gain lifeforce proportional to the lifeforce of the hero they slew (up to 20%). In addition, the hero is completely lootable, and cannot report the evil for murder.

3 - When a hero kills a black wisp he gain lifeforce

4 - When an evil kills a wisp he gain lifeforce

Sphere and Lifeforce:

1 - Lifeforce is very similar to Mana but once you spend Lifeforce it doesn't regenerate.

Interacting with Evil:

1 - If an Not Aligned attacks an Evil Character they will be gray to all evils for 2 minutes and looteable if killed

2 - If you're an Not aligned and loot an evil corpse you will be gray to all evils for 2 minutes

3 - When evils kill innocents that they attacked, all the evil's stats and skills fall by 50% for 5 minutes. They also lose lifeforce. If the evil has 0 lifeforce, then the evil can also be reported for murder. Lastly, they cannot hide, recall, or gate away for those 5 minutes. When evils kill innocents that attacked them, the innocents are lootable, and cannot report the evil for murder.

4 - Evils can kill evils freely (without getting a murder count)

Evil Powers:

Power - Words - Comments - Sphere - Lifeforce

Black armor - Vidda K'balc - Invoking this power, then targeting an equipped piece of armor turns it true black. When unequipped, the item returns to its natural color. - 1 - 1

Detect good - Drewrok Erstok - This power returns information on the proximity of heroes. - 2 - 0

Summon familiar - Trubechs Vingir - This conjures up a black wolf to serve as the evil's pet for a time. This pet is also evil, of course. It is about as strong as a Dire Wolf. You can only have one such pet at a time. - 3 - 5

Vile blade - Velgo Reyam - This power actually works on any weapon (including maces and bows). It gives the weapon a few charges of powerful (level 5 !!) poison. Once a weapon has been made vile, it can never again be used by a hero. - 4 - 10

Unholy steed - Trubechs Yeliab - This conjures up a mystical black steed to serve as the evil's mount. The same restrictions apply as for the familiar. This steed is about as strong as a Nightmare. They last for 1 to 1.5 hours. - 5 - 30

Blight - Velgo Ontawl - This targetable area effect power causes damage to all heroes in the range. Damage done lies in the 20-40 range. - 6 - 15

Monster ignore - Velgo K'balc - This ability makes even aggressive monsters ignore the evil player for a time, unless they were already engaged in combat with them. Attacking or stealing from a monster will shatter the spell. - 7 - 20

Unholy word - Velgo Oostrac - This power consumes a huge amount of lifeforce, but allows you to target a hero and simply kill them dead. No sphere nor lifeforce is granted for the kill. - 8 - 100

Good Powers:

Power - Words - Comments - Sphere - Lifeforce

White armor - Vidda K'balc - Invoking this power, then targeting an equipped piece of armor turns it white. When unequipped, the item returns to its natural color. - 1 - 1

Detect evil - Drewrok Velgo - This power returns information on the proximity of evils. - 2 - 0

Summon familiar - Trubechs Vingir - This conjures up a white wolf to serve as the heroes pet for a time. This pet is also labeled [hero]. It is about as strong as a Dire Wolf. You can only have one such pet at a time. - 3 - 5

Holy Blade - Erstok Reyam - Effectively makes the weapon (including bows) have double damage against evils and undead. - 4 - 10

Holy steed - Trubechs Yeliab - This conjures up a mystical white steed to serve as the heroes mount. The same restrictions apply as for the familiar. This steed is about as strong as a Nightmare. They last for 1 to 1.5 hours. - 5 - 30

Bless - Erstok Ontawl - A targeted area effect spell that gives a temporary boost to stats to all innocents in range, except for guild enemies. - 6 - 15

Holy shield - Erstok K'blac - A magical shield that shields the hero plus those standing directly next to him. Evils and monsters cannot pass the shield (though they can attack from outside it, or use magic or missiles to get past it). - 7 - 20

Holy word - Erstok Oostrac - Like Unholy Word; This power consumes a huge amount of lifeforce, but allows you to target an evil and simply kill them dead. No sphere nor lifeforce is granted for the kill. - 8 - 100
  3. Tashlin

Tashlin Member

Here is the revised Faction Hero/Evil system

Factions (Hero/Evil)
    •Factions is active on Siege Perilous, with a different ruleset than other shards.
    •The True Britannians and Council of Mages factions will be considered “Hero” factions. The Shadowlords and Minax factions will be considered “Evil” factions. All four factions will still be at war with one another, in addition to being integrated with the Hero/Evil system.
    •Killing faction characters who are in your own faction will incur a penalty. The killer in this case will lose 50% of his current kill points, lose 100% of the lifeforce accumulated, and be able to be reported as a murderer. An exception to this will be the killing of guild mates, thus allowing characters to spar with guild mates. Another exception is that if your character is attacked by another, you are allowed to defend yourself with impunity.
    •Faction characters will gain lifeforce equal to 20% of the life force of the character killed, and that character who was killed will lose an equal amount of lifeforce points.
    •Faction characters will gain 1 lifeforce point for each faction enemy monster which that character kills.
    •The maximum number of lifeforce attainable is 100 points.
    •Players will be able to spend lifeforce points toward special Hero/Evil powers. Players will be able to use a special phrase (“I invoke my good powers,” for Hero characters, and “I invoke my evil powers,” for Evil characters) to bring up a special menu through which they may control the following effects: ◦Colored Armor (5 lifeforce points; duration is permanent; turns an article of
    armor or clothing white for Hero, black for Evil) (items which have been
    turned “Hero” or “Evil” will only be equipable by someone in the appropriate
    faction.)
    â—¦Detect Evil/Good (1 lifeforce point; duration is immediate; allows Hero
    character to scan the area for Evil, and Evil to scan for good)
    â—¦Summon familiar (10 lifeforce points; duration is 30 minutes; allows character
    to summon a familiar to fight for the character, silver wolf for Hero or dark
    wolf for Evil)
    ◦Bless (60 lifeforce points; duration is 30 minutes; temporarily “blesses” one
    equipable item, item will note time remaining)
    â—¦Silver/Dark Steed (30 lifeforce points; duration is 30 minutes; creates a
    silver steed for Hero character to ride, or dark steed for Evil character)
    â—¦Holy/Unholy Shield (40 lifeforce points; duration is 60 minutes; character is
    ignored by all monsters and faction guards while this power is active)

•Evil characters will not automatically hue red, and any Evil character which kills a blue innocent may gain a murder count. The faction system hue will be in effect to handle aggression and flagging.
  4. Double Vision

Double Vision New Member

I've always like the hero/evil system. The only problem i can see is the blessing items & dyeing stuff hues, which I am totally for but i can see people complaining about there CBDs and Leather dye tubs and special mask dyes not being worth as much is you can dye stuff colors and bless them. Although era accurate you will probably get alot of people claiming this is not an era accurate server as they used this argument in my idea but will want other things added because it's era accurate. I totally voted yes on this tho.
  5. Tashlin

Tashlin Member

Well the bless only works for 30 minutes and costs over half of maximum lifeforce which takes time and killing to refill. But I agree it's still a bit trammelish since intentional combat is usually planned out to some degree. So one player would have the benefit of at least 1 blessed item while their opponent probably wouldn't.

Ultimately I agree with you about this ability that it could be done without.

I like the hue's though, there have to be some benefits to being hero or evil. Nobody else can wear them but they can own them which would be fun for decorating houses.

I think the familiars are way too weak considering how strong the players who take part in open world PvP faction systems are.

The steeds are way to powerful. Even as a temporary summon a nightmare equivalent pet shouldn't be so easy to obtain w/o taming/lore. Maybe if this ability was half nightmare strength and scaled up to nightmare strength based on taming/lore skill.

I think the familiars could be stronger by default and scale w/taming/lore also.

Really the temporary weapon enchants(though a weaker version of them or both converted to the holy weapon effect and restricted to PvM), hue's for armor, familiars, and steeds are the best aspects that with a little tweaking won't be OP or unbalanced and don't have griefing potential.

Holy/Evil Shield is OP for griefing in Champion spawns or open world events. I think this ability should be thrown out or have severely reduced duration.

Unholy and Holy word are also OP, they should have a set damage value or also be thrown out. But since they only work in hero v evil combat set damage would be nice. Insta Kill button is a bit much though.
  6. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

I liked it for the tracking aspect, when you could use faction tracking for towns, you could track heros outside of towns, was pretty useful. The other stuff i didn't use so much. I probably hued more stuff and use the tracking more then the others. But i still liked having it say [Evil] or [Hero] in my tag.
  7. Tashlin

Tashlin Member

I agree 'Hero' 'Evil' was cool as shit next to your name.

If hero/evil isn't added as a warring faction type system I'd at least be happy to see it added as a vanity/asthetic system for roleplaying and just plain cool factor with warring aspects and combat abilities removed.
  8. Eisensaft

Eisensaft New Member

I like the system too but wasn t the holy blade totally overpowered? I mean double damage is way better than poison charges. Or isn t it?
  9. Tashlin

Tashlin Member

The poison charges was OP because it was Lethal Poison not deadly. Lethal poison effects many creatures that are normally immune to other levels of poison and it is almost impossible to cure. If you think 2-3 cure attempts is bad for deadly poison you should see how many pots/regs you go through for lethal. And if you're curing with bandages if you don't cure the first try the poison is enough to kill you from full health. Don't forget that the person wielding the weapon probably isn't just going to hit you 1x either. Maybe if the poison level was regular for 2handed and ranged weapons and greater for 1 handed weapons it would be more fair. Otherwise this ability makes every gm poisoner (most expensive skill to gm possibly) kinda pointless. Allthough a gm poisoner could always go hero and use holy blade for a double dmg deadly poison warfork. Either way both abilities are OP in PvP and need balanced severely. As hit chance is one of the biggest problems dexers are facing right now I wouldn't mind both abilities adding +x to weapon skill and maybe bonus dmg to monsters. That would make the ability increase PvP w/o making it "ha i hit you you're dead" and also boost Melee PvM capability.