Holiday Scrolls: Value and strategy

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Six.spirit, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Six.spirit

Six.spirit Active Member

I've never done a holiday scroll and apparently some are worth more than others.

Do different scrolls reward more holiday coins or other valuable pixels than others?

Are some of them harder to complete? Is it the harder ones that give better rewards?

Do the rewards vary by how many people join the event? I'd like to know if different scrolls literally have more procs of holiday coins throughout the entire event across all players in the event, rather than conceptually adjusting for having to share with the people you're doing the instance with(I figure each person and group can figure that out themselves).

I have found this guide on all events which has some information: http://uorforum.com/threads/events-mega-guide-how-to-have-fun-and-succeed-at-uo-r-events.16859/

However, that guide does not go into as much detail as I feel like I want to know before buying or attempting to complete a holiday scroll, despite it being an overall very thorough and helpful guide by Gideon Jura on events across the year.

There is also the Renaissance Christmas Event post by Chris for some reference: http://uorforum.com/threads/renaissance-christmas-event-dark-magic-awakens.20371/

Is anyone interested in writing a thorough guide on strategies on completing them solo or with a group and how rewards might be affected by your strategies and the risk vs reward angle of trying to solo them or with fewer players? I would love to read it.

Short of that, I would appreciate any advice and/or details anybody is willing to share on these things, or any links to relevant forum posts that I may have missed.

Thanks very much!
    Cherie, BlackEye and PaddyOBrien like this.
  2. Animal Control

Animal Control Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

They're all pretty straight forward once you do them a few times. I've iron manned every scroll I've done so far this year(25+ scrolls). White scrolls give the most hcoin (typically 70-80) with ice blue around 70ish and green/red around 65ish per run. Drops depend on the scroll. This link has a list of all the xmas mobs ( http://www.uorenaissance.com/list/Christmas/S2 ). Certain mobs will only appear on certain scrolls. Like the dark elf battle mage (Drops a hued elf tome) spawns on the white/blue scrolls. I don't think the compendium has been updated for the 2016 drops - but they'll likely be the same as previous years - just a different hue. Can also find items in the chests at the end. The chests will always have 1 plat/5,000 gold and 40 holiday coins in each. There's also a chance at a hued chest/snow/xmas tree/holiday stone chair/extra christmas scrolls.

I've recorded videos of me iron manning some of my runs. When I get a chance (probably this weekend) I'll post them here.
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Yes, each of the scrolls has a different layout and different types of monsters - in addition some monsters can drop unique loot which are specific to one event.

In my experience the difficulty from hardest to easiest is Green > Red > Blue > White, I have found that the more difficult scrolls usually yield more holiday coins (20ish more than the easiest).

If you do the event solo ("Ironman") you will be given an additional trophy at the end of the event, if you choose to go in with dozens of players then you will only miss out on that last statue, but keep in mind that it will mean you will receive a smaller portion of the overall holiday coins.

They are tough, the best thing to do is just give it a shot - there are plenty of ankhs in the event that revive you with all your equipment so you can keep killing stuff until your time runs out, even if you don't complete the event you can turn the scroll in for a bag containing 10 holiday coins.

Completing them solo is very difficult and not suggested for newer players, especially when fighting some of the unprovokable/poison immune bosses. While there are a few guides out there, I've had success mostly with a Fencer-bard char as he can provoke most of the mobs, and still put out a significant amount of damage.

Honestly, they're very fun to do, especially with friends, my suggestion is to get a group of 3-4 friends, and go in together the first time around to get a feel of the events, you'll have a blast even if all of you die!

The last thing to note is that the White/Blue scrolls contain rideable polar bears which can only be ridden during Christmas, but they look very cool!

[​IMG]
    BlackEye and Basoosh like this.
  4. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Are the beefy 'battle polar bears' back this year? Or is the difficulty the same as last year? The grinch was an absolute monster last year.
  5. Rickbrent

Rickbrent Active Member

What does your taming have to be to tame a ridable polar bear?
  6. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

7. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

Which way should I be reading that? Green is hardest or easiest?
  8. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I have heard white is the hardest. Never done one...
  9. Rickbrent

Rickbrent Active Member

I could see red being hard since it is in an enclosed area...from a running around trying/failing provoke standpoint
  10. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

In the previous years, I always found red to be the easiest of the bunch. (the mini-bosses there don't continually spawn adds)
    CaptainMorgan and Rickbrent like this.
  11. CaptainMorgan

That's what I was thinking, but this threw me off...

12. Animal Control

Red is probably the most annoying to iron man just because of how difficult it is to provoke the caster reindeer. Sometimes you'll get it the first try - other times you'll have to straight tank it the entire time lol. I'd say in terms of iron manning scrolls Red is most difficult (cause of the deer and all), followed by white, then blue, then green (easiest).

A tip for the mini bosses is to fight them in a doorway and they will NOT spawn adds. Bring DP weapons to help kill stuff faster (deer, mini bosses, yetis). Basically everything that isn't a caster or a main boss can be DP'd. Will significantly increase the speed you can do the scrolls. Also, you can never have enough explosion potions. Throw them at everything that moves
    BlackEye likes this.
  13. CaptainMorgan

Do they not hurt you as well?
  14. Animal Control

If you're tanking a mini boss or w/e just throw it on the 2nd tile behind them and it will damage the mob but not you
    CaptainMorgan likes this.
  15. Six.spirit

Six.spirit Active Member

Thanks for your responses everybody, its very helpful.