How make money with inscription?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Drave, May 3, 2018.

1. Drave

Drave Active Member

Hi all,

I'm raising inscription skill for my mage. I'm not sure if here (UOR) scrolls are demanded bt other players, if so, what kind of spells?

In other servers I used to sell Recalls, mark, energy vortex.

It's possible to get some profit from running a scribe? (It's my main char)

Thanks in advance.
  2. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The classics like recall are always gonna be in demand homie, EV and Blade Spirits are gonna do ok too, personally though guy if I didn't have a scribe I'd want to be picking up Gate scrolls for my tamer (don't want to be failing that when you are escaping from a dungeon with pets) Flame Strike and EQ are also ones that PVP'ers will be into, I use them instead of casting them as I'm not gonna fail off a scroll.

It's also seasonal, if you'd of started a few months back and we're selling bulk lots of 2 Hondo blade spirit and EV scrolls the Lep hunters woulda been alllll over that!
    Althorn likes this.
  3. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Welcome Reaper! Nice to have you on the shard.

To expand upon what Earsnot is saying, being a scribe as a profession goes down either 1 of 2 paths:

1) Running a full fledged scroll shop selling every type of scroll as well as full spellbooks, runebooks, etc.
    2) Running a smaller vendor selling the most in-demand scrolls like Recall, Gate, Blade Spirits, Energy Vortex, etc. as well as full spellbooks and runebooks.

Number 1 is harder and more time consuming. But not many people do this. I think I know of one shop around Yew that sells every spell from every circle. I'm not sure of the money to be made as I've personally never ran such a shop.

Number 2 is probably where most of the money lies. You can run a small vendor, or make the highest demanded spells in bulk and sell on the trade forum. As Earsnot indicated, this caters to several events, most notably the one just finished (St. Paddy's).

The biggest issue you'll face is that Inscription is a very useful PvP skill, and many people have scribes of their own even if they don't make many scrolls. So there is a lot of competition. Plus most if not all vendor shops have a scribe vendor selling the things under # 2.

As a Merchant who runs his own vendor shop (See my signature), I can tell you that you need to understand you'll never make the best money running a shop. But if it is in your blood, if you love doing it, by all means try and succeed! But if you are after gold / hour, you best move along and make a provo tamer.
    Jill Stihl likes this.
  4. Twister

Twister Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Inscription is nice as a side job while you're afk, but I hardly imagine getting rich on it.

Here's an example:
    Say, you're selling 8th circle scrolls (EV or Summon Daemon, which are in quite high demand).
    The cost to produce these scroll consists of 4 reagents (for simplicity I will assume 4 gold each) and a blank scroll (4 gold each) divided by the chance to produce a scroll (50% for 8th circle). So, average cost is (4+4+4+4+4) / 0.5 = 40 gold. You only make 1000 of these per night (8 hours) on a single scribe. And I've seen people selling them at 50 gold. That equates to 10k profit a night. Now, remember that you need to spend time buying scrolls and reagents... and find a customer who will buy your scrolls. Does not seem like a reasonable margin to me, that's why I sell mine at 60 gold. But even 20k per night won't make you rich.

Margin situation is better for Recall scrolls (considering how fast they're made), but demand for them seems pretty low in the last few months.
    RIN likes this.
  5. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I have the definitive answer(s) !
    1. Be consistent
      1. ALWAYS be open, ALWAYS be stocked
    2. Reasonable prices
      1. We own calculators. We know a 800% markup when we see one
    3. Create a need - advertise/show the advantages
      1. PvMers - recall, gate travel, energy vortex <<< there's advantages to having these on you in the field
      2. PvPers - summon daemon, energy vortex, meteor swarm, resurrection <<< " "
    4. Lastly, sell marked runebooks
      1. Consistent, stocked, marked, runebooks
        1. Hit a "famous" rune library and copy it if you have to
    A marked runebook salesperson is a tough MEFFing profession. I think it goes hand in hand with a scroll shop. I don't want to mark runebooks. If I knew a place
    to go that had a wide variety of what I wanted, or better yet... took orders, I'd shop regularly and send new people to it as well.

As a side, I'd use you for my scrolls instead of making my own.

It's all about time. Most players with access to 3 accounts can manufacture w/e it is they need themselves. It just depends on what they'd rather spend their time with.
    I could spend my time making more money (and hopefully having fun at it) and give you some in return for getting some of my time back making w/e it is your selling myself.

I hate seeing a "new vendor mall" advertisement anymore. I go to it. After a week it gets worse and worse. Not restocked. After awhile it's a bunch of empty backpacks sitting alone in the wilderness.

RIN... gosh darn it RIN is a good example. If I need a ship, or a chair to sit on, for example I know exactly where to go and it will be there.
    The shops in Ocllo are good if I need an item my other vendors are out of and don't mind a significant markup, I know it will be there too.

Consistency wins.

If you haven't, stretch out your merchant legs and get out into the world. Find and visit the vendor shops. See how things are, see how things could be better... be the better.
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    gitchu1000, RIN and Althorn like this.