How To: Create Playermade Quests

Discussion in 'XmlSpawner Development' started by Chris, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

What is a Playermade quest?

Playermade quests are created by giving out blank QuestHolder books that have the PlayerMade property set to true. This would typically be done through the use of the XmlQuestMaker stone. They allow players to design quests for other players to complete.

When the PlayerMade property is set, players can edit blank QuestHolders by double clicking them. This brings up a quest-design gump that allows them to enter their own objectives, text, and attach their own rewards.

Playermade quests can be just designed just like normal quests that a GM or other staff might create with some additional restrictions and features.

These quests can be given to other players or placed on playervendors or added to the PlayerQuestBoard bulletin board.

The quests will automatically be configured for AutoReward when reward items are attached.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Dun Scaith likes this.
  2. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Differences between Playermade and non-Playermade quests:

So that player quests can always be distinguished from non-player quests by spawners and other triggering items, player quests will have "PQ: " automatically appended to the beginning of their name.

When playermade quests expire or are deleted before being completed, the reward item that was attached to them will be returned to the quest creator. This way, players can hand out quests without worrying about losing the committed reward if the quest isnt used or completed.
    A return container can be specified to receive quest reward returns. If not set, then it is returned to the players backpack.

Playermade quests have the weight of the reward items that they contain. This is to prevent exploits involving use of playerquests as weight-free containers. Non-playermade quests are weightless.
  3. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

COLLECT and GIVE type quests:

Players can design quests that require other players to go out and collect or retrieve specified items.

The items collected or given are returned to the quest creator and placed into the specified return container (or the creators backpack if nothing is specified).
    This allows resource contract type quests to be made, in which players offer rewards in return for certain goods.

For example constructing a quest with this objective

COLLECT,goldingot,100

would create a basic contract for 100 gold ingots.

COLLECT,greatercurepotion,100

would create a basic contract for 100 greater cure potions.
  4. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

KILL type quests:

Playermade quests can specify objectives that require certain creatures to be killed by using the same type of KILL objective specifications used in normal quests. For example

KILL,balron,5

would instruct the player to kill 5 balrons.

If suggested installation STEP 6 is followed, the playermade quests will support various types of player kill contracts.

For example, a player constructing a quest with an objective

KILLNAMED,playername,PlayerMobile

would create a basic contract that would give the reward when the named player was killed.

KILL,PlayerMobile,5,kills>10

would create a contract that would give the reward when 5 murderers with more that 10 kills were killed

KILL,PlayerMobile,5,kills=0

would create a contract that would give the reward when 5 innocents were killed

Note that specifying the PlayerMobile type avoids exploits that would be possible with just a simple name specification of the target (for example killing a pet named the same as the target player).
  5. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Special Playermade quest items:

The PlayerQuestBoard item is a bulletinboard that can be placed in the world and allows players to drop and received playermade quests (such as the player kill contracts).
    Just place it with

[add playerquestboard

The XmlQuestMaker item is a stone that dispenses blank playermade quests to be edited (double click it to dispense).
    Just

[add xmlquestmaker

to place it.

Examples:

The questbook.xml example in xmlextras spawns two mobs that drop quests and questbooks.

Original Document by ArteGordon - Modified for use on UO:Renaissance
    Original Article - http://xmlspawner.fr.yuku.com/topic/146#.U6BuP5TiKy4
    Cordelia Black likes this.
  6. Dun Scaith

Dun Scaith Well-Known Member

So... how do you get a quest maker stone?
    (Or this is in development?)
    eherruh and Cordelia Black like this.
  7. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

If this indeed in game...I think I found a new hobby!
    Cordelia Black and Dun Scaith like this.
  8. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

HOW THE BLOODY HECK?!?

I have been feverishly programming in razor of all things to distribute and do this exact thing for the past few days!

For the record and my very fragile ego, I did manage to make it work.

Now, where do I get one of these stones?
    Cordelia Black and Dun Scaith like this.
  9. Cordelia Black

Cordelia Black Well-Known Member

can someone reduce this to english please?
  10. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You need to be on the xml server. Quests have been created over there, but as far as I have seen, nothing has ever made it over to live. I spent some time trying, and personally found it to be very difficult to execute using the framework in XML. Then, even if you were to finish a polished quest, you would need to go through the boss to get it onto live, which is a process in and of itself. I never polished a single quest to the level necessary to even present to the boss. Others have, but none have made it to the live shard that I know of.
    Dun Scaith and Cordelia Black like this.
  11. Cordelia Black

Cordelia Black Well-Known Member

i believe a player was responsible for some xml testing of the lvl 7 t maps,but it could have been a quest of his own,im basing it off what he showed me when he gave me the tour of it all. Thats why i asked,if player event/quests could and have made it into live. Thank you for your precise answer :)
  12. Dun Scaith

Long and short of things, I cannot use 'the pixels' and 'the double click'.

Back to quest-books.
    eherruh and Cordelia Black like this.
  13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

XML development is frustrating because the interface uses UO books to actually type it out, for anyone interested I'd suggest using another editor (i.e. Notepad++) and pasting the results into UO to make your life a lot easier.

But creating the actual quests is pretty straightforward, it would be pretty neat to see these around Ocllo!
    eherruh likes this.
  14. Dun Scaith

How is it that this statement has peaked my interest again?
    Are you still stuck on a 40 page limit lol?
  15. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Lo there wanderer... Stay awhile and listen to the musings of an old man.

Lord Blackthorn has developed an appetite for crotch fires and I've been assigned too many to satiate him.
    If you could help me, I'd provide a tome of secret and forbidden marital arts.

Go out and take revenge upon 10 criminals.
    Perform 10 crotch fires

Progress 0/10

Please hurry, Lord Blackthorn grows impatient!
    Random likes this.