How tracking works?

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by zekameka, Nov 20, 2017.

1. zekameka

zekameka New Member

So i had 100 tracking.

It never works as needed. A player runs by, after 1 sec i call tracking - no players found.

I do tracking, no players found, walk a few steps, see a player. Why wasnt he tracked?

With 100 tracking i believe i should be able to track players who are 3 screens away from me in any direction. Thats like 75 tiles or so. Isnt it like this in OUR?
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  2. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Tracking was changed a few months ago, as a knee-jerk reaction to some players being able to track people they shouldn't have been able to. Unfortunately, this change had some unintended side effects. For the moment, you can only successfully track monsters, NPCs, and animals. The staff is working diligently to make tracking work as they intend to, but for right now, the skill is effectively broken when used against players.
    PaddyOBrien and One like this.
  3. zekameka

zekameka New Member

Thanks, that is what I thought about it.
  4. Alvien

Alvien Well-Known Member

Does detecting hidden mitigate any of the change currently associated with the tracking skill?

I'm interested in raising detect hidden if it would indeed help track players but if it doesn't I would save myself the time.

My understanding is that normally the check is; a persons tracking + detect hidden vs hiding + stealth

But with tracking altered, will we be at a constant disadvantage against players until a new patch/fix is implemented?
  5. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Detect hidden is a modifier if player detected is in the hidden state.

I recently put tracking (only) back on a character and oddly enough I'm not having these issues. I'm popping players 80+ tiles open field away with no problem. Inside a dungeon though, diff story.
  6. Pax Romain

Pax Romain Well-Known Member

It doesn't.
    Erlkonig, scuba, BlackEye and 3 others like this.
  7. Alvien

Alvien Well-Known Member

I have not had the same experience as wylwrk, I have 100 in tracking and there have been many times that a person will run by me on the screen and I am unable to follow/track them.

I have been able to track monsters/creatures though so that has been helpful for the Christmas event.