Howdy, Howdy, Howdy & Questions.

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Sheepdog, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

Howdy everyone,

I want to start by saying thank you to everyone who makes this shard possible. And to be honest the words THANK and YOU don't even begin to cut it in my books. What you've done and do is so rad and I am stoked to holy hell I've found this place.

Ultima Online will always be the greatest game ever created and a game I hold dear to my icy heart. I played Ultima Online previously for about 5 years, from the age of 14 to 19. I'm now 32. I started pre tram, and had a good year or so of radness before all the stupidity came in, I played Europa and hung on for as long as I could before the game, in my opinion, got totally fubared by BS additions to the point of ridiculousness - so finding this shard was like finding a nugget of gold in a closed down doo doo factory. (Don't ask why I was searching abandoned doo do factories)

I've been playing for 3 days now and I know I'm here for the long run. Plus I no longer am playing on dialup like I did back in the day and don't have to deal with my parents telling me to get offline because it's 3:27 in the morning. I'm an adult now. In your face Mom & Dad.

So apart from sucking the proverbial collective D of the creators of this shard I do actually have a bunch of questions that I've searched and can't find answers for, if anyone can shine any light on any of them I will give you a digital high five and be incredibly thankful.

1 - Gold - Is there any rules/etiquette to using the 3 allocated accounts and 15 character potential to initially create 15 characters and handing all the gold to one player and then deleting all but 1 of the characters (not looking to bulk up server space) Reason I ask, as much as I'm loving farming cotton to rack those stacks to train characters, I'm not actually loving farming cotton and if I can side step that part for the sake of buying materials to train up I want to do that.

2 - Donations - I'm giving you guys money via the donations page because nothing in life is free and I want to support this shard, I know I'm not eligible to receive any of the rewards because my account is less than 30 days but will they roll over to when my account IS over 30 days?

3 - Registering - when I first log in it tells me my account isn't registered and to write "register" to register my account. When I do, nothing happens. How do I actually register my account?

4 - Casting poison - when I'm outside of the guard area, or in the dungeon based below Occlo and sometimes in other areas of Britannia both in and outside guard areas - when I attempt to poison a grey character, be it monsters or animals it tells me that the guards won't let me cast it because my account is new? I've renounced my young status as I thought it might of been that, I've maxed out skills and am GM in 3 skills so far so I don't know what the deal is?

5 - Thank you for not allowing zany A** dye tubs. That's not a question I know, you just have no clue how refreshing it is to not see neon rainbow llamas being ridden by giant Jack Frost looking mother f**ckers.

6 - Rune books - are they blessed or newbied items? I've read conflicting statements so I've been keeping them in the bank so it would be handy to know.

7 - Long shot - when I played back in the day I played with a bunch of really awesome dudes on Europa, I had a website called grandmastergrey dot com, I played under the names XSeRX, Bobby Lamer, Gravix to name a few of my chars, Bobby Lamer was my last foray and I wanted to know if any of the dudes I used to kick it with were over here now so I wanted to shout out names and if any of them are here hit me the F up.

Svensk Gurk Hund, Heleneaneanea III, Any one in the guild PKU, Anyone in the guild DC ran by a dude called Zog, Anyone in ICU or 6!6.

Thank you in advance, and again - howdy!
  2. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Welcome to UOR! Great shard here :)

As far as your questions go....

Gold - Unless it's changed, all new characters start with 1k gold pieces, 750 of which are "locked" to the player's backpack, to prevent people from farming new gold. You can spend that gold on that character though, you just can't move that 750 out of your pack. Unless that's been fixed recently... not sure.

Runebooks - NOT blessed here automatically - blessed runebooks require runebook bless deeds from the platinum rewards vendor for 250 plat. You earn plat monthly depending on how many hours your account logged in. I think that kicks in after your first month or something like that. You can also kill monsters that have a certain drop rate for plat.. better drop rates on harder monsters.

Poison casting - I think that is in effect because some people come over here for the sole purpose of making accounts to mass murder people afk'ing in town using poison/poison fields. I guess it cuts down on people making bogus accounts just to do that.

Not sure about the others but I'm sure someone will answer it for you :)

There's a thread I made a while back called Ultima Online Lost and Found where you can tell people who you were back then, and find other people you might now :)
    newme, Sheepdog and Vandalin like this.
  3. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I won't repeat Paddy's answers to your questions, but welcome to UOR and feel free to pm me if you need any additional help or are looking for some hunting companions.
    newme, RavenMagi and Sheepdog like this.
  4. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member

newme likes this.
  5. Sheepdog

Thank you Paddy!

Lost and found thread! That makes so much sense, stellar idea chap. I'll go peruse that in a minute - thank you

The no poison rules makes sense in town, I get that, but outside of town too? Is that an Occlo specific thing? Kind of renders poison and poison field useless if thats an everywhere rule.

I'm gonna give the gold transfer thing a whirl, I'm so bored of picking cotton, even if it doesnt work I've spent 5 minutes doing something else. I'll combo that with searching for a list of newbie items characters start with, the least I can do is sort my self out with a sweet outfit right? Hah

And runebooks NOT blessed - got it! Thank you, phew, a rune book of tailor locations isnt exactly top loot but it was a paint to do so I'd rather not lose it.

And Vandalin - thank you for the offer! When I'm in hunting shape I'll holla atcha!
    newme and PaddyOBrien like this.
  6. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Oh, I'd imagine outside of town for poisoning is fine, I would be surprised if that was disabled considering when you're outside of town, anyone could someone afk haha.
    newme likes this.
  7. Sheepdog

Ok, Just tried - cant poison anyone/anything outside of Occlo town or cast poison on anything roaming grey (animals) inside any other town because *The guards won't let you cast this as a new player"

I also just tried handing over all gold from a new player to another character - it worked.
    It does state that 750 isnt transferrable but it still let me do it.
    I'm not complaining, Thats one less cotton hustling run I've got to go on.
    newme and PaddyOBrien like this.
  8. Smash

Smash Well-Known Member

i think the poison is just an occlo thing considering the entire area is special.

even in other towns i believe your character must be of a certain age to be able to cast poison.
    newme likes this.
  9. Sheepdog

I'm going to assume its just a 30 days thing and see whats up after that. Thanks Smash!
    newme likes this.
  10. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    newme likes this.
  11. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hey there Sheepdog! My name is Krake. Welcome to UOR! You have found a great home here. I like your overall demeanor as well; seem like a cool guy.

1. PLEASE dont abuse the 15 character limit just to get some start up gold. I know you said you already did it, as of this post, but gaming the system, so to say, is somewhat taboo. If you need start up gold and are sick of farming cotton, there are good ways to play the game and earn gold:
    - Make a provo dexxer/ peace dexxer. Easy to macro up skills, get out there in Occlo, and fight till you can earn enough money to buy a first house. Do this on a Young character as you wont have to worry about Pks, losing anything when you die, being stolen from. The whole reason we have the Young system is to help you get gold and work skill up before facing the cold reality that is Fel.
    - JOIN IRC and talk with us! Lots of players will help you with start up gold. Many players can make 10k in 10 minutes here, so getting some start up money from the community is worlds better than abusing the 15 character limit system.

2. Yes, it should! Also, if you have donated, the shard Admin will get you an orange name here soon (tm) when he has time!

3. You likely have to type something like [register or [Profile to actually access that feature.

4. Poison has already been answered. You can poison outside of town for sure; not sure on what the time limit is or anythign after making a new account.

5. Yes. We try to keep terrible Trammel things out of here, although a few do slip in..........blehhhhhh

6. NOT blessed. Good on you for keeping them in your bank. Most of us keep one or two runes on us, but if you dont have a blessed runebook, keep em in your bank or house. Blessed Runebook Deeds are the first major item that most players go after. They cost 250 platinum, which is worth 2.5 million gold. Lots of ways to earn platinum, but doing Champs is the most profitable.

7. Not sure! Check the Lost and Found link.

Finally, a few others things; there are a number of players here (Rezon, Kirby) who have free homes to rent for new players. Contact them if you wanna use one!
    Lots of fun custom content here that you will enjoy; nothing that, in my opinion, breaks the game or makes it terrible.

Lots more to say, but I will leave you with that for now. Take care!

~Krake
    newme, Black Tortoise and One like this.
  12. Crunk Juice

Crunk Juice Well-Known Member

First and foremost we are all happy that you picked the best shard as your home. If you are not getting a response on something need advice or help with something please pm me directly or irc Crunkjuice. There are numerous other vets that would love to help you out.
    newme, Black Tortoise and One like this.
  13. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    newme likes this.
  14. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

I thought you couldn't poison in any guard zone period, but it looks like you can in some towns. But for Ocllo, my assassins had to go back to throwing greater explosion potions.
    newme, PaddyOBrien and One like this.
  15. Sheepdog

Thanks for the detailed response Krake!

And don't worry, I don't have any intention of making 15 characters for 15k, I did it with the one to see if the 250 limit was still in place (it wasn't) - I was just very, very bored of picking cotton.

I was tag teaming picking cotton with camping/herding to boost strength and intelligence.

When I first started UO back in the day I was insanely fortunate as I stumbled an unlocked potted plant on a villas steps after a week or two of wandering around dying trying to make some money and was set after that so this whole "grinding to make some bank - to buy a house - to train a character - in order TO MAKE money" is a new and exciting concept.

Thanks for all the Stirling advice everyone so far!

It's quite an amusing concept being "new" in a game that I don't really feel "new" in. Hah
    newme likes this.
  16. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Active Member

Welcome @Sheepdog ! Glad to have vibes like yours in the community. Your story and mine are very similar, just replace Europa w Chesapeake :). Im still kind of a n00b on this server, so if you need anyone to adventure with, hit me up!

Discord > IRC, so Im unlikely to be on IRC.

Best of luck with your adventures and tailorings.
    newme likes this.
  17. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Welcome to our crazy world. UOR has a fantastic staff, which is very approachable, great player communtity and tons of stuff to do.

If you still qualify for young status, I'd regain it. Need to be in Ocllo to do so. than make a miner/smith character. Young can mine in all the dungeons etc in Ocllo. Either use your smith skill to make items to sell to npc blacksmith ( later can make repair deeds, to fix your warrior characters weapons, etc.} If don't want to go the smith route, than sell your ingots to other players. Also make a lumberjack character. You can either store your wood to make your own furniture down the road, or sell to other players. Here we get oak wood as well, need it to make ladders, boats and some cool furniture.

Use your cotton to make thread, than cloth. One bod reward for tailors is a "clothing bless deed", goes for 90+ k.
    I've basically got two crafters, for for smithing etc, one for fletching and lumberjacking.

If you don't enjoy crafting, than use mining n lumberjacking to build strength. Sell supplies to other players. Can always drop those skills later if you don't find a use for them.

Thanks for joining us. :)

Westra on IRC
    Marjo Governess of Wispfelt Village in game
  18. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I can't help it. Each time I look and see the title of this thread this goes through my head.

Althorn likes this.
  19. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

Welcome to UOR @Sheepdog. I played at Europa as well, but belonged to the RP-community in Vesper.
  20. Sheepdog

Rad, what guild? The only one I remember was [A] or some deviation of that, the guild house was on a corner outside of town.