Hunting advice

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Helicobacter, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Helicobacter

Helicobacter Active Member

Looking for places to solo hunt that are fun and relatively headache free. I don't need optimized loot, but slaughtering orcs isn't my thing either.

Chars (everybody is 7X GM or close enough)
    1. Peace LJ with GM resist
    2. Pure Bard with disco, provo and peace. No meditation
    3. Peace/Provo bard, no disco with meditation

I've found #1 needs to 1v1 mobs and suffers in crowds, #2 does fine in crowds but lacks his own damage and relies on the mobs to provide it, and #3 is very well rounded.

#2 is probably best when playing with a friend. #1 needs good weps (I only have good silver axes).
  2. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

1: efreet spawn in fire, pops bosses too!
    1: daemons
    1: dread spiders (hedgemaze best)
    1: lich lord spawn in fire
    1: elder gazers in hedgemaze or dungeons

peace dexxers = my jam
  3. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Your #2 id suggest switching peace to hiding. Will increase your chance of survivability a lot and just makes farming easier especially if you need to afk for a bit.

Valricks suggestions are great. Also, find a runebook library and test out different spawns. Can look up beast stats and skills on the compendium to get a look at their difficulty to give yourself an idea of what to expect.

Never announce where you're farming on irc.. happens more than one would think.
    Helicobacter likes this.
  4. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

yeah Bards solo is slower than most other forms of killing. I love bard skills on tamers which helps them tremendously. Even considered making a tamer here? It's fairly easy once you copy some macros!

Melee Tamers
    Provo Tamers
    DISCO TAMERS = fav
    Helicobacter likes this.
  5. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Disco tamer is best gph. And it's nice to see it connect on something like a balron or ancient wyrm and watch it melt
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Helicobacter and Valrick like this.
  6. Helicobacter

Helicobacter Active Member

Even back in my old OSI days, I just couldn't bring myself to GM taming. It's a skill that undergirds all of the best PVM templates, but it is such a boring playstyle to me. I have a char that only needs to GM taming to be "finished" but I have a hard time making myself head over to the Jhelom or Delucia bull farms to macro.

I suppose it must be done eventually though. *sigh*

#2 above actually currently has GM hiding in place of peace (was needed to GM disco), and I just assumed I'd macro peace back up tonight. I think I'll stay with hiding for now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll make sure I announce on IRC a place that I will be hunting and then go somewhere else.
    Ouroboros, Valrick and NCCML like this.
  7. Loki

Loki Active Member

The demons at the fire temple are good for bards. If not you can also run in and cast a blade spirit next to the dragons under the demons and then provoke the dragons to fight each other. Just have a recall macro ready for pks. I never really had a great tamer back in the day and now I am so happy to have spent the time to make one. They are not hard to train and the GPH is great and lets you fight harder mobs. My favorite tamer I have is: taming, animal lore, vet, magery, music, provoke, and disco. I had a pure bard before him and once he was done I was like what was a doing before this?!? The above suggestions are great as well though for places for bards!
    Ouroboros likes this.
  8. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

AMIB's
    Level 7 Tmaps
    Zookeeper scrolls
    CTF (when you're feeling froggy)
    Valrick likes this.
  9. Tuneful

Tuneful Well-Known Member

On your Pure bard
    Bloods are nice(I like to get all 5 fighting(easy enough to solo the boss))
    Balrons are great(can solo a PoD(lol tho not easy))
    Shadow wyrms(incredibly tough!)

Give me a shout on IRC if want to go to a few spots!
    Arawn and Vincent Blackshadow like this.