Ian's Guide to Young Player Taming

Discussion in 'Guides' started by EvilIan, Nov 4, 2017.

1. EvilIan

EvilIan New Member

A lot has changed since the last taming guide for young players. The purpose of this guide is to help people who want to reach 100 taming while maintaining their young status. It is not intended to be the fastest or easiest way to GM.

Things you'll need
    1. A young player
    2. Buy skill or start with 50 at character creation
    3. Something to tame
    4. Macros
    5. A lot of time

A young player
    Taming is waaaaaaaay easier when you're young, because nothing attacks you. Don't worry, you've got 400 hours to GM taming. Don't leave the island or its accompanying dungeons or you'll lose your young status.

Buy skill or start with 50 at character creation
    I suggest starting with 50 Animal Taming, 49 Magery and 1 Healing. (Why healing? For those sweet blessed scissors.)

But I already started my character before I found your amazing guide! No problem, you can buy your way up to 35 or so. Bring your 330 gold to the stable and find the NPC named "<Name> the animal trainer". For example, old Eartha here:

[​IMG]
    Walk up to them and say "<name> train taming". Then drag the appropriate amount of gold, 330 in this case, and drop it on the animal trainer.

[​IMG]

Great, now let's tame something.

Something to tame

On UO Renaissance, you can gain skill on failure, and failure means you don't have to look for something else to tame. Thus, I suggest always taming the most difficult thing you possibly can. Here's what to tame at what skill.

[​IMG]

So from 41.1 skill to 53.0 skill, you should be taming Brown Bears and Cougars.
    From 53.1 skill to 59.0 skill, you should be taming Panthers and Grey Wolves.

The animals labeled "Forest" spawn all over the overland island labeled below in red.

[​IMG]

The animals labeled "Sewer" can be found in the Occlo sewer, which is accessible from the locations labeled on the map. The main entrance is located northwest of the bank, north of the stable.
    [​IMG]

It is also accessible from the mining cave, north west of the bank.
    [​IMG]

Macros: This is sooooo tedious, don't make me do it!
    I agree, let's automate things.

Auto Follow
    Keeping up with the animal you're trying to tame is boring. Instead, hold down the Alt key and single left click on what you're trying to tame. You'll automatically follow it around.
    [​IMG]

Set Last Target Macro
    [​IMG]

Taming Macro
    [​IMG]
    From the Macros tab, click on "New..." and type Taming (or whatever) and click "Okay". Then Click the "Record" button. Back in the UO client, activate animal taming, either from the small blue button on the skill list or by setting a macro in game. Then click on an animal, or really anything. Then back in the Razor window, click "Stop". Finally, click the check box next to "Loop."

[​IMG]
    Right click on the line that says "Absolute Target" and click "Convert to LastTarget".

[​IMG]
    Then right click on "Exec: LastTarget" and under Special Constructs, click on "Insert Pause/Wait..." Click the radio button next to "Pause for:" and add "14000" and click "Insert."

Then set your new macro to a hot key.
    [​IMG]

Stop Macro - Macro
    Finally, set "Stop Current Macro" to a hotkey.
    [​IMG]

Actually taming
    [​IMG]
    Taming to gain skill is now simple. Walk up to an animal and press your "Set Last Target" macro (ie F1). Click on the animal. Then press your "Taming" macro (ie F2) to start taming. Hold down the Alt key and click on the animal to follow it around. You'll continue to follow and continue to attempt to tame. Eventually, you'll succeed, hopefully after having gained 3.0 in taming. At that point you can press the button for "Stop Current Macro" (ie F3).

A lot of time
    But Ian, what do I do with my tame after it's tame?

Great question. When you tame a creature, it removes it from the spawn pool, so a new copy of that animal type will spawn eventually. I like to keep things clean, so I usually release the animal and kill it with magery spells. You can record a Razor macro to say "<animal type> release" and then click the confirmation box.

[​IMG]

It's Nightmare Time
    At 85.0 Animal Taming and 100.0 Animal Lore you can have a Nightmare transferred to you.
    Join IRC and see if someone will sell you one for cheap.

Feed it 1 cut of raw ribs to start the bonding process. 24 hours later, feed it again. You should get a message that it craves particular meat. You will need to feed it 2 particular meat. You can often find vendors selling these.

A long road to GM
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned for the lazy AFK giant toad macro.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Soear, Zathuel, Kiryana and 1 other person like this.
  2. Zathuel

Zathuel Active Member

So I can gm off the toads if I’m understanding correctly?
  3. Soear

Soear Well-Known Member

That's right @Zathuel (you can also gm from Bulls, but since they are a little easier than toads to tame, it would take longer)

Nice guide @EvilIan
  4. Zathuel

Zathuel Active Member

Ok thanks, a friend showed me how to macro bulls im 99.1 *sigh* sooo slow lol
  5. RMarc69

RMarc69 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to tame horses until 67? I also heard that gains are better if you have GM Animal Lore already. That's the rumor I've heard. I haven't worked Taming on this server yet so not sure. Thanks
  6. Rivic

Rivic New Member

Love this guide! Have used it all the way to current and am now 85.5 taming. Curious what that lazy giant toad macro is as I would love to use it! Any chance at an update? Thanks!
  7. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

taming toads + leather farming = $$$
  8. Evil Hippy

Evil Hippy New Member

Great guide, just want to add a few more things. 59.1 also lets you tame Gaint Spiders and these are also all over ocello as well as in the sewers. At 71.1, you can also tame Greater Mogbats, which are also in the ocello sewers. Working the giant toads, greater mongbats and snakes to get to 83.1 will let you get 2nd tames on giant toads and the dire wolves that are in the forest of ocello.

Personally, I recommend working 2 tamers at once with about a 10 point gap between them. This allows you to have the lower do the initial tame of the new animals/monsters that they can currently work on and your 2nd character with the higher taming can get the 2nd tame at the increased difficulty. Hope this helps.

P.S. Keep your young status for easy gains in the sewers and at the mage tower but i think ian already mentioned that.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021