Ideological Subversion

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Gideon Jura, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Musings by Gideon Jura... a history of sorts.

This one time a long time ago, some of the folks here probably remember it too. Back in the very early days of Renaissance there weren’t that many players around – maybe like 60 accounts online at a time and just a small group of adventurers. The trade forums were still pretty active and lively though. I remember during one of those early times that Shadow Jack sold a cool item called a composite bow to somebody else, I don’t remember who now.

That was a cool item. One of the only true uniques to have existed or since exist on Renaissance. I remember the story of how Jack got it really well – he said he found a monster that had it equipped and managed to disarm it and steal it. Hah! I was blown away by that as I had never built a thief character let alone a disarm thief. I had certainly never considered the possibility of disarming a monster of a rare weapon – let alone a unique one! That was pretty darn awesome.

That whole event was super sweet though. I think that was the housing event rush from back in August 2012. What a lifetime ago. At the time I hadn’t yet joined the Adventure Time guild. I was still hanging out with Wulver and the folks in Blackrock Knights (BK). I think Double Vision, Solar, and Zyler were also in BK. Those were really good times with those guys.

Back in the early days everybody was really young, inexperienced, and at the mercy of the handful of PKs that kept the overworld pretty dangerous – Vagingo and a few others would also kill us all at Wrong Executioners and down in Ice Ogre Lords – everybody’s two favorite spots since basically everybody was a bard hehe.

Anyway so me and Double Vision were doing the house rush event and we must have stayed up most of the entire event together killing the invading monsters and having the guards help us deal with them as we were both new and extremely weak. Wulver and Les Claypool were about the only two people I knew of who had tamers so occasionally we’d go with them and use their dragons as tanks. Man that event was super cool though. Double Vision and I worked super hard and each accumulated a pretty good stash of gold, rares like the green scout maps, and Wulver even made out with a few pieces of “deadwood” I think it was called. I also think a few players scored green golem statuettes. But Jack really made off with the prize of prizes in that composite bow, earning a pretty solid reputation for himself.

Following the house rush we saw the opening up of land across parts of Britannia and many houses placed during those stressful moments still stand to this day. I was able to place my Keep north of Brit, a house spot I had dreamed of owning since first seeing it on the shard that shall not be named. Blaise was able to place the AT guildhall north of Minoc – probably the first fortress or one of the first. Amazing! And Les Claypool or Avery were able to place the houses around the Brit Gate – very hotly contested placement! Amazing to see them still standing today.

It was really cool to see the bonds of friendship form in those early times, guilds like BK and AT form up, and land get settled in. Players made names for themselves – Darkwing the boat crafter, Blaise the Adventurer, Avery the Kindhearted, and Jack the Nefarious Rascal. Wulver and Les Claypool were leagues ahead of everybody, down in the bottom of dungeons on their tamers. Upgrayed ran everything like some kind of benevolent overlord. And of course, Mutombo, Double Vision, and Bart Simpson the enemies of all who walked in the light.

Myself I was simply content selling BODs, collecting rares, and trying to eek out a small collection of décor. Each house décor contest I would pour my heart into trying to make my Keep as presentable as possible – scouring the land for ideas, scouring the forum for rares, and scouring the forums and every old forum imaginable for décor themes to borrow. Always, always, I came up short. But I was never let down, for the entries were all amazing.

Quickly the seasons turned, leading to Halloween, Thanksgiving, and of course, the first Christmas. Our community steadily grew, guilds disbanded, others grew, and new ones came onto the scene. Loyalties were tested and trials were had. It was such an amazing time.

It’s sad to look back and think about those players who adventured with us in those early times – both friend and foe – who are no longer with us. Caly of Yew and I spent much time trying to discover the secrets to rare timers. Markos and Mobolin were fellow Adventure Timers and amazing house decorators – definitely missed. Mutombo, Liberation, Double Vision, Solar, and Vagingo – definitely the most feared murderers in all of Sosaria circa 2012 are all missed too. They brought me many deaths but I learned much along the way and look back fondly on those times.
    Dun Scaith, Jupiter, Zyler and 4 others like this.
  2. Gideon Jura

After the land rush event the first Halloween kicked off and it was such an amazing time! My only characters at the time were Gideon who was a weak provo mage struggling by with 90 or so magery and provo and like 80 healing (don’t ask). I was working on my Lumberjack, Garrett, and my miner of course, Perrin Aybara. I also was steadily working tailoring on nine characters.. which is a whole ‘nother story entirely but don’t worry, I have time so I’ll get into that.

In the very beginning on Renaissance you could collect BODs on as many characters you wanted to, but we were limited to two accounts. There was much discussion on the two account limitation. Other, competing shards, pretty much universally allowed three accounts. So the population and staff was pretty split because they wanted a higher client count to encourage more users and some players wanted more flexibility in templates. Many players were more traditional, like myself, and wanted to keep the two account limitation. In time, staff decided three would be best. It has appeared to work out well and I have since relented and enjoy having three accounts. But one of the compromises put into place was to limit the number of BOD collections you could do to a single character per account. At the time, however, I had a newborn son and my life was pretty hectic so while I was playing UOR as often as possible, to be honest, the majority of my gametime was collecting BODs and spawning rares. I just really couldn’t do much more than that.. except mining and chopping trees of course! But man mining was hard to raise – you younglins truly have no idea. You could raise it to the mid 60s with sparring but you had to get out there and jack some trees to get to GM and man that was a rough road. I made it to about 91 before I simply gave up. It took me a whole year after that to finally GM the darn skill.

So anyway, Halloween I was really limited on templates going into that thing and the point system was pretty rough (no offense staff!) – basically the only way you got points for a mob was to last hit it. So everybody figured this out pretty quick and started bringing provo mages, collecting regs, and waiting to explode/ebolt mobs at the last moment. It was pretty silly to be totally honest. You’d have a pack of 30 mobs in a pile all fighting each other and a group of players patiently waiting on the side to pick off the red lined ones with a combo. Ahh players, always figuring out shenanigans – oh which reminds me! I forgot where I was going with the account thing –

So myself and Double Vision were really new and we basically watched in awe as Solar dominated all aspects of the game. The guy was pretty ridiculous at the time to be honest. Although in retrospect, Upgrayed, Les, Wulver, and I’m sure Descartes and Hatecrime were off doing stuff none of even could imagine. But this guy was constantly scheming one thing or another. If you look at some of the graphs – for example – fishing rope, that was all Solar. He was a fishing, tailoring, and Artic Ogre Lord killing machine. He had a house full of vanqs, sheep farms that rivaled Mutombos (just kidding, Mutombo took that to another level to be discussed later). Ah shoot, might as well discuss it now – I mean you know you’re hooked now, right?

So Mutombo was basically defacto lord of the bugs, schemes, and of course, sheep. He was the snapdragon before snapdragon (no offense snapdragon). Anyway he also wrote some fabulous guides on taming and other things I suggest you read when you get a chance. But yeah so Mutombo famously (imfamously?), smuggled a rune to green acres out of who-knows-where and built a massive sheep farm – thousands of them – and was creating millions of yards of cloth which he’d convert to bandages and sell to vendors. This caused the server to crash because vendors would never reset their inventory. This all got patched but anyway, moral of that story is Mutombo is forever the sheep lord. Solar was a sheep prince maybe.

But yes, back to Solar and Double Vision! Double Vision and I watched in awe as Solar quickly built 2 grandmaster tailors and in no time was doing both tailoring and blacksmithing BODs. The two of us were totally mindblown but like good Renaissance players, immediately hatched a plan – er, developed a non-exploitive strategy to maximize our gaming experience – yes that’s it.

9 tailors was really a thing. Double Vision and I put tailoring on every dude we could except our mains. And that was almost done too before staff stepped in and put a quick stop to all that monkey business. But man was that glorious! Every morning at 5am I’d wake up like a good crack monkey and run my first character from Nujelm Inn to the tailoring ship, buy a bunch of sewing kits, and start selling them as fast as I could spam my macro. Because, yeah, you had to sell things before they’d offer you up a BOD. Thank you staff for changing that, by the way, because that was a royal nightmare. Then I’d log in my next character – all nine of them! What a clever scheme!

Quickly I became extremely wealthy as I was the main dealer in all of Renaissance for BODs. Shoot I even had four smiths! Unfortunately, one of them became useless post patch (shakes fist at staff) – but it was still worth it!

Anyway, so here I was, 9 tailors and a busted provo heal mage (don’t ask) – and I was doing this Halloween event against all these guys and all of a sudden Caly of Yew starts feeding me bags of regs. It was mana from heaven! I still remember him (her?) saying “Gid! Win this thing! Here!” and they kept feeding me regs the entire time! I won!

I still have that trophy at the Brit Keep if you want to check it out! It’s the one that matters most – 2012 Halloween Angel baby! All mine!

That was really what got me hooked here. Man what a rush that whole first few months was. Waking up at 11pm just to snatch some BODs and check a quick spawning rare. Getting chastised by the wifey because she knew I was sneaking off to check of a rare was up. LOL!

Anyway, I’ll skip forward a few months to the trial of sir Bartimus, the villain. Naw, that’s boring. I know! I’ll talk about Christmas! Christmas blew my mind! I wasn’t sure what to expect but after the instanced Halloween event which took place in a burning copy of Moonglow, I was excited!

Christmas was the current Santa lair event minus the basement level. It was much like Night of Horrors is now – survival mode – except you came in with your spellbook. Man was it intense! Blade spirits were the best as they could take down enemy elves pretty easy but the deer were like tanks truckin through and destroying the masses of blade spirits. Players pretty quickly discovered that the strategy was simple: get regs, cast blade spirits, and use provo as fast as you possibly could. My heal mage template (don’t ask) proved to be godly! I could save mana, regs, and most importantly, valuable cast time by healing myself if needed with bandages, while using every last millisecond throwing down blade spirits and making sure to steal people’s hard work by last-second provoking red lined mobs (lol suckers).

Man those events were fun! Players would quickly become overwhelmed as hordes of elves and deer got lured into the entrance. If you found a corner to yourself you were in top shape! Get a wall of blades going and pray you landed a provo on a deer – otherwise you were in a world of hurt haha. Santa would spawn pretty quick – sometimes you’d even have time for two or three Santas! He was always destroying players with Earth Quake and other shenanigans. Really, that guy was a little over the top, not even gonna lie. But he dropped big points and rares so players would work together and ebolt him down. Of course, Hatecrime was always up to something – him or Les or Upgrayed! Man those guys were really lightyears ahead. I dunno how, but they always got the kill on Santa.

I’ll never forget, though, the hard mode Christmas event. I believe it was on New Years Eve 2012. I still remember that night very well even though it’s been almost four years! Crazy! It was a lot like tonight, cold but not too cold, house was quiet, but I was hyped! Oh wait, I’m always hyped. But anyway, nobody knew what to expect – HARD MODE! – what does it even mean!?

Hard mode proved to be a little too hard. The deer and elves pretty much obliterated the contestants, trapping them at the spawn point. A firm wall of blades could never be established to hold them back and players ran out of resources quickly without taking down enemies. It was a rather miserable sight. Thankfully I was nowhere near it! I had escaped early somehow by traveling along the west wall. I was in the way back and all to myself on Santas island. It was glorious! I had a firm footing on the island, blades all around me, and was holding my own.

Before I knew it, the messages started popping up on the bottom of my screen “Gideon Jura is in the lead with 89 points!” Man – I was gonna win the hard mode! No way!

I was maximizing every timer, evading deer like some kind of ninja, and dropping blades and provos like a machine. Regs and bandies were stock, I was in the lead, there were only 15 minutes left! I was gonna do it!

But then, I swear to this day, staff thought better of my shenanigans. Comet came right at me – controlled obviously by a GM! This reindeer would NOT let me go! I was runnin on foot, dodging blades and elves, but this deer chased me around that island without mercy!

Before I could regain control of my island, two more deer locked their sights on me. It was too much. My bandage ticked, but they hit me with an ebolt or two – maybe some mistletoe – who knows. Those things are nasty. I was seeing grey. First death, 100 points, I could still win!

But oh, I didn’t know what was happening at the ress station – a total bloodbath. I tried throwing in my blades with the others, but we were trapped. It was hopeless. I sniped a few kills but I knew my lead was shaky. Sure enough, next message “Les Claypool is in the lead with 105 points!” No!!!! Victory was out of my grasp!

I managed to sneak out to the west again and re-build a blade wall. I even managed to regain the lead, but Les must have established a stronger foothold elsewhere. Back and forth we fought for what felt like an eternity! Elf bodies and Deer corpses littered the room in front of me but I had eyes only for the score board messages – would I win?!
    Jupiter, Zyler, Alex Caember and 3 others like this.
  3. Gideon Jura

Oops – didn’t mean to keep ya hangin’!

Nope, didn’t win that event! Came in a close 2nd to the machine that is Les Claypool. But best 2nd place I’ve ever won! Nabbed a sweet pair of santa’s glasses too – didn’t even know there were sunglasses in the game! Hah!

Speaking of Les Claypool, man that guy really is a monster! I remember back in the early times, when I was hanging out with BK still a little bit but was also starting to hang out with the Adventure Time folks quite a bit too. The first housing competition was in full swing and everybody was hustling rares and stealing ideas – it was awesome! This was around Halloween time, maybe shortly after, in 2012. Double Vision made a huge entry with his fortress – one of the only ones around at the time! He had a huge fish tank and everybody was blown away. But then some other big players started dropping entries – Markos and Mobolin and Les all dropped huge houses – Castles and Forts. Les blew everybody away by making his Fortress a gigantic lava house using the rare red hue bod cloth. Talk about setting the bar high!

Ultimately I think Les or Upgrayed won that contest – my Tavern pulled in a 3rd place if I remember correct. Kali also helped many folks decorate their places up to get ready and I believe Mobolin made a hilarious entry with a small stone tower near Britain with a hot tub full of ladies on top. Man that was fun!

Getting back to Les for a second tho – I’m going to shamelessly plug his Moonglow rune library house on the west side of the island. You can’t miss it – the large tower near the dueling pit. Probably one of the most iconic stops in all of Britannia! A heavy hitter in the yearly deco contests and one of the most impressively displays of wealth out there!
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  4. Gideon Jura

5. Gideon Jura

6. Gideon Jura

7. Gideon Jura