If Trammel is the destination, just how far along the path are we?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Plankton, Sep 14, 2015.

Within UO:R, how far along are we to the full-blown, neon blinding Candyland that is Trammel?

Poll closed Oct 10, 2015.
  1. 10%

32 vote(s)
    37.6%
  2. 20%

8 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. 30%

10 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. 40%

7 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. 50%

9 vote(s)
    10.6%
  6. 60%

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. 70%

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. 80%

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. 90%

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  10. 100%

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plankton

Plankton Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Please take this non-scientific poll. :D

Thank you for your input.
  2. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

70%, a 40% increase from when I started here just about 2 years ago. I started during the 2013 Halloween event
    AnRobot- and BlackEye like this.
  3. Bestial

Bestial Active Member

Letting people check if their CYs were marked, incoming moats, even more instanced content, still no statloss on tames, those awful crystal rare drops...

a good bit of progress these past few months.
    AnRobot-, mafghine and BlackEye like this.
  4. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Oooo a commiseration thread!

Haven't seen one of these since 10 minutes ago.
    Codus, Dalavar, Vishakt and 2 others like this.
  5. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

For people that advertise themselves as hard-core Fellucites, I read an awful lot of bitching.

(voted 40%)
    Dalavar, wylwrk and Attila like this.
  6. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

We're allowed to bitch when our hardcore Feluccian ways are being jeopardized by the invasion of Trammel, on a shard that says it won't be influenced by Trammel.

Instances are essentially Trammel. I've never done one, but I heard someone say monsters spawn (and respawn) in these instances and if that's the case, that's a huge problem. If the instance spawns X monsters when the instance is created and never spawns a thing again, that's slightly better because you can't milk it forever but if it's spawning forever, you could have a long day with a friend or 2 (6 or 9 characters), filling up pack animals and hidden loot bots with gold and items. There's little documentation on how instances even work here.

Eventland is also Trammel.
  7. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Do you mean AMIB's?
    The instance is timed. You get kicked out with what you're carrying at the time that it ends.
    You're not given much time to fuck around.

This is outlined in the guide.
    boothby likes this.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Holiday events are increasingly instanced.
    Ancient MIBs are private dungeons.
    Level 7 maps are the same, but you can choose to leave yourself exposed.
    CTF and Tourneys are the same, but could be easily remedied with modifications to the reward system

I've never seen PFR at a town invasion.
    AnRobot- and BlackEye like this.
  9. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

90%
    AnRobot- likes this.
  10. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I grandmastered Magery, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on CoM base, and I have over 300 confirmed murders. I am trained in CTF warfare and I’m the top 5x duelist in the entire server. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the shard and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the shadowlords and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
    Sarian, Xegugg, Kane and 5 others like this.
  11. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

12. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

If you ask me - Chris cares a lot about whether people here are enjoying the server and he is sympathetic to those that feel like they can't get a leg up or should quit or feel griefed. I think that's how we end up in situations where content is designed to be safe. Like so many people complain that they got pked or stolen from at a town invasion, that the next one was designed in a safe place.

I'm sure it's not easy to design content so that casual players can complete it without being killed by groups of reds from the big guilds. I remember last year's night of horrors - at the town invasions I recall there was so much stealing/pking and staff was dealing with so many complaints that he swore off doing town invasions at the time.

So on some end I think the community needs to police reds better. Or hold them to a higher standard. If the standard is gang banging the weak and then heckling them out of irc when they complain, I think staff will keep designing things to protect them.

I don't think there should be a safe CTF area or safe dueling areas myself. But I voiced my concerns about them long ago and have accepted that my vision for the server isn't the way it will be and have learned to live and let live.

Most of these things are what vocal members of the community asked for and demanded a year ago so I'm sure it's aggravating to see them flip flop on it now.
    snap dragon, Jupiter, newme and 3 others like this.
  13. Maltman

Maltman Active Member

140%.

The crystals are evidence we have gone far beyond trammel and are more near Ilshenar or the Samurai Empire.
    AnRobot- likes this.
  14. boothby

boothby Well-Known Member

I would vote 0% but that wasn't an option.

Personally I find complaints about instanced dungeons completely unfounded and they seem to have the opposite effect than what the complainers are complaining about. More people are out in the open world as a result. I may have my numbers a little off here, but didn't Telamon say that (since the lvl 7 maps began spawning) there have been something like 10,000 regular treasure maps completed and less than 200 lvl 7's to spawn as a result? Achievements seemed to help this quite a bit as well - lvl 1 maps were barely selling when I first started here (I payed 250gp/per from a bunch of people to get myself started and they were happy to get even that) and now there's auctions left and right for them at a more premium rate. The same goes for fishing - more people out in the open trying to get AMIBs and such. The seas are awash with fishers and boats - if you can't find people out on their boats "because they're all in instances", than you probably aren't even out on the water looking. I just did 100 MIBs the other days and ran into more people/boats than I ever have before on a free shard.

Events I don't have an opinion on either way - they're not technically part of normal game play so I have no issues with those having non-fel rules. Even if they did have fel rules, I believe they would still be as packed as they always have been. I personally wouldn't stop going to the major events just because they're fun either way and I appreciate the time and effort staff puts into them.

Letting people see if their CY is marked? Big deal, it is a temporary tool on the dev server. I recently bought a fortress from someone and couldn't personally utilize the command because the dev server isn't updated to show that I currently own the house. Not to mention that it (imo) affects very little - anyone operating under the belief that their CY is secure was probably kidding themselves anyway. As I said in another thread -- I would still have locked doors, table walls, detecting hidden a few times, even with permanent live access to the command (although I do believe the coords of the runes should have remained secret).

re: the crystals and other house decor. Who cares? It's not in your house and it's not being worn by people running around the world - why does having pretty pixels locked in your house automatically = trammel? I've always considered the trammel/fel debate to be about mechanics and rules, not decoration that I don't have to use if I don't want and probably wont see often anyway.
    Dalavar and newme like this.
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I care and a lot. I'm not alone, that when I log into a shard and run around, what I see in the world is what builds my impression of it. I throw up in my mouth a bit when I tour other shards because they have things like those crystals out on display in many places. Despite being called rare, there's already several on the shard in the < one week since the instance went live. I can only envision myself immediately closing my client in disgust the first time I happen to run by Kane's keep or other house that displays that trash brought in from an era I like to pretend never existed.

Felucca/Trammel is about many things, but mostly removal of risk. The aesthetic portion directly relates to things that you see on current shards or ones that mimic eras so deep past the release of Trammel that they carry the moniker as well. Thus, those crystals are something I never expected to see here based on keeping the look and feel of the era.

Or, to put it more succinctly, this is NOT "UO the way I remember it"
    AnRobot- and Mindless like this.
  16. boothby

boothby Well-Known Member

I agree here - IMO the rares from these instanced dungeons should be rarer than they appear to be.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Those ones in particular should be nonexistent. It's embarrassing.
    AnRobot- likes this.
  18. Melochabre

Melochabre Well-Known Member

The crystals are ugly but can everyone quit using it as ammo about why you think shard is going to hell. Telamon already said in a previous post that,

They were an accident and shouldn't be used, in my opinion, as any argument's basis for the trajectory of the server.
    Erza Scarlet and boothby like this.
  19. Mimic

Mimic Member

First of all what are these crystals everyone is bitching about?

Second: My turn to spiel! I voted 20% because of the amount of blessed face masks I see everyone wearing. When I think Trammel, I think foo foo colored blessed clothing with special letters in the name. Also the fact that all damaging effects are nerfed on you when you are inside of your house is kind of trammel. That was the point of going to Fel on OSI...

I would have gone further up in percentage ladder but I was stopped by my many memories of getting my rune books looted when I first started here, or the few times I've had my house looted because my lock macro didn't finish, or my garbage can was in the wrong spot (fucking stupid that you have to build a wall of locked down tables to guard your shit, but I understand it's the rules). The fact that you can't hunt very long without seeing five reds pour out of a gate is pretty Fellucia IMO.

I get the people bitching about no pet stat loss, which I personally think is great because you should be scared when your dragons are dying, but the fact that pets don't recall with you kind of balances this out.

Now that I think about it for a second, if I remember correctly, pet bonding was not part of the original rule set. I VOTE FOR NO MORE PET BONDING. Let the flames rage!
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I never indicated it as a basis for the trajectory of the server but it doesn't portend anything positive. "Under evaluation" doesn't apply to things that are already out in the world. If he had a buy-back program and comped all those who looted them with some lump of gold or plat, I dgaf. I just never want to see that shit out in the world, ever. I thought it looked cool in that one dungeon when Tel gave me a tour and I said something about needing to mod my client to get over it if he spawned them as rares. I was hoping when he said he had "considered it" that he was joking with me.

Well, I modded my client for now by just not using it. I'll get bored eventually and work it out, but you can bet your ass they're not going anywhere.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.