I'm thinking of making a tamer,

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Imbol, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Imbol

Imbol Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

but I'd like to buck the system. I don't wanna be some mare/dragon or dragon/dragon tamer or whatever.

Seems boring, uncreative.

I like the other beasts. Hell Hounds and Hell Cats, for instance. Giant Scorpions. Arctic stuff.

Could anyone who's tried such an approach hit me up? Or if there's a guide, link me?

I reckon it'll be 4x GM 3x GM at least; Animal Taming, Animal Lore, Vet., Anat.. The other skills, I dunno! Perhaps musical stuff. *shrug*

Thanks y'all.

ps. Thank you for the corrections, @Dalavar !
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    One, BlackEye and Sheepdog like this.
  2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice to offer you on your creature selection but I am a big fan of the concept, I've often wondered if a pack of trained scorpions would be fun, at the very least it would be a big clustery mess!
    Imbol likes this.
  3. Rextacy

Rextacy Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Tame some polarbears in the white/blue scrolls and train em up. Prob pack a nice punch
    Imbol likes this.
  4. Fin

Fin Well-Known Member

One, Imbol, BlackEye and 1 other person like this.
  5. Imbol

Imbol Active Member

6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Frenzied Ostards are definitely the best, but Hell Hounds are a reasonable second if you want to mix things up.

With pets who have less than 200 HP, Veterinary can sometimes be too slow against heavy-hitting monsters, so Magery and Meditation are a must-have in my eyes for emergency heals. I don't see why you'd want Anatomy; for Vet, it is Animal Lore which assists in the Veterinary bandage healing amount.

Finally, if you want to do something VERY different... you can have 99% command success on Frenzied Ostards with 103.0 Animal Taming... you don't need Animal Lore at all. Get your Taming skill to 100 and then buy/earn one of those Masks of the Wild which give +3.0 skill. Add on Magery and Meditation to heal them via Greater Heal casts. Then you have 4 more skill slots... Music, Provo, Disco, Eval? Archery, Tactics, Anatomy, Resist? Swords, Tactics, Anatomy, Lumberjacking? Many possibilities.
    Imbol and One like this.
  7. Imbol

Imbol Active Member

Oh woah! I did not know that that's what Animal Lore is for! I figured Vet needed Anatomy. Hmmm...

This sounds amazing... (drools)

Thank you!

Just curious -- how would you recommend distributing starting skills and stats?
  8. Imbol

Imbol Active Member

One thing I'd forgotten...

Is there a guide that breaks down the stats of animals/monsters? Or their spell list/abilities?
  9. DaTamer

DaTamer Active Member

Dragon/Mare tamers are boring?
    I can agree to that.
    I started with 50 taming / 50 magery
    I worked vet/lore up by having two polar bears beat on each other.
    Took a lot of bandages, and a day maybe...might have been a day and a half. But GM Lore and Vet didn't take too much.

After that, I cast about 1500-2000 invis on myself to get magery into the 80s
    From there I got naked, went to Dagger Isle, and tamed everything I could tame until 71.1
    (walrus, polar bears, snow leopards, and lastly white wolves)
    From that point I did the bull taming macro at Jhelom til GM
    (took 3-4 days maybe from 50 to GM)

Next I took music and provoking up
    I provoked at the zoo until I had to use the provo house that pretty much everyone still uses

So, start to finish... like 7 days I was 7xGM
    Mage, Med, Tame, Lore, Vet, Music, Provo

Now... dragon/mare tamers can be cool at first when you are provoking and sending dragons in

My 2nd tame has Entice rather than med, and disco bard tamer is quite exciting.

But... if you dont wanna just sit in the same 15 hot spots and farm millions in gold.... there are cool combos.

Personally, I think a hell hound, scorpion, frenzy, and grizzly bear would look awesome whacking down harpies in covetous!
    Woobie likes this.
  10. DaTamer

DaTamer Active Member

Now I hear taming masks are running anywhere between 1.5mil to 5mil.
    So I wouldn't suggest a template that includes a Mask of the Wild... unless you have the gold to spend on it
  11. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Hmm, no such list exists with 100% accurate info on all animals/monsters that can be tamed. I used the UO:R Taming Sheet for a while to understand what tames I could use with limited taming skill. That sheet also includes their base damage which is useful.
    For accurate HP on these animals and monsters, look at the HP bug report post I made a while back.

Also, if your looking into lesser tames pack instinct is very important. Adds %damage based on how many of the same type you have within your pack.
    1 = +0%
    2 = +25%
    3 = +50%
    4 = +75%
    5 or more tames = +100% damage

Because of this feature, my pack of 8 frenzied ostards each hit for 22-34 damage. Learning how to move and position yourself with that many tames is something you have to learn with experience :)
    Killian, gitchu1000 and Imbol like this.
  12. Imbol

Imbol Active Member

Keza <3
  13. Imbol

Imbol Active Member

delete!
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  14. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Vincent Blackshadow and Imbol like this.
  15. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

While archery has it's drawbacks, it might be something useful here to produce a little extra damage and in times when creatures run away. Not sure what type of damage output it would do without Anat or Tactics, but maybe worth exploring on Test?
    Imbol likes this.