Inflation

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Dalavar, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Proposed Problem: there is a lot of gold on this shard and it's always growing, leading to higher numerical prices for items not sold by NPCs.

Proposed Solutions:
    1: Add gold sinks that actually pull money out of the economy
    Example 1: Purchasable Titles
    Example 2: Character Bound Sandals, Masks, or other items with unique names and/or hues
    One, Por Corp Wis, newme and 3 others like this.
  2. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

I know you think all of these are separate issues but I do think inflation is related to triple-boxing. Again, my solution would be 1 account with 15 characters.

I can't imagine any amount of gold sinks will really get to the heart of the inflation problem.
    newme and Vishakt like this.
  3. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I think it might be helpful if someone can point out a concrete example of inflation being a problem. I see prices on some goods slowly creeping up, but other goods haven't budged.
    newme likes this.
  4. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Resources - gold, platinum, etc. - are gathered triple-boxing, it means 3 individuals are profiting at the same time.
    Negotiations are dealt by only 1 person regardless of where the money was gathered.

We are talking about 450 individuals gathering resources but 150 people negotiating them - if not less, if you address the cousin, girlfriend, parents account excuse.

I don't really know - I have reasons to believe it is - if it's an actual problem right now, but it's obvious that's going to be for sure.
  5. Alice Asteroid

This would be helpful. I don't feel qualified to answer it becaue I've only been here a couple months. My playstyle also doesn't involve acquiring a lot of gold so I never even bother looking at fancy weapons or the trade forums or what-have-you. It just all seems very out of reach to me.
    newme likes this.
  6. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    newme likes this.
  7. Alice Asteroid

You don't think triple boxing affects inflation, Gideon?
    newme likes this.
  8. Geo

Geo Active Member

Just look at recent bidding war. El Horno bought 60% of the slayers on auction and he's the one you see trying to silence the discussion around tamer advantage. His avatar is a dragon. Coincidence?

Meanwhile here I am with my small tower just trying to make ends meet.

The starting bid for a sandstone patio in a good mining neighborhood was 500k. A 20 bronze small smithing BOD is 100k. People farming at ridiculous rates (and no risk to the mechanism of their economy) allow for prices such as these because while inflation is natural without meaningful gold sinks, the rate of wealth gain is vastly accelerated by the fact that a single player can pull hundreds of thousands of gold per hour (when you factor in plat).
    David Scraggs and newme like this.
  9. Alice Asteroid

Uh, El Horno started the thread asking for pet stat loss to be brought back.
    One, newme and Mindless like this.
  10. Geo

Geo Active Member

lol whoops well he tried to silence me! I WILL NEVER STOP! Well actually I'll stop right now. :D

BTW I've never seen a dead dragons so dragon stat loss is clearly a cynical "compromise". Because good luck killing 6 800 health dragons 3 mares and whatever mage is being piloted.

/\
    / o \
    --------
    newme likes this.
  11. Gideon Jura

newme and Alice Asteroid like this.
  12. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

If only it were stat loss... They are talking about skill loss. In my opinion, they are too readily eager to have pet skill loss be the solution because they know it doesn't really matter.
    newme likes this.
  13. Alice Asteroid

But aren't you leaving out the scenario where someone makes 5m in less than 50 hrs by triple boxing with other templates? I would just assume that if it takes 50 hrs to get 5m with a single tamer, then it's possible to get 5m in less time with some other combination of three characters.
    newme likes this.
  14. Geo

Geo Active Member

Gideo while that is technically true that inflation is an inexorable phenomenon. Triple boxing increases wealth gain exponentially. For instance, a single tamer cant solo champ, so that 140k gold worth of plat is not happening for a single tamer. With a duo it can be done and a trio it can be done wayyyy faster.

I think you are being disingenuous when you say removing triple boxing wont stop inflation, because what people are obviously concerned about is the rate of gold generation.
    newme likes this.
  15. Gideon Jura

newme and Alice Asteroid like this.
  16. Gideon Jura

newme likes this.
  17. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

I'll just go in the same order you did.
    1. I literally only starting bid those weapons to get the cheap slayers that other people don't want. I am a naturally risk averse person and never use mega slayers, I use cheap 10k slayers and do JUST fine. A huge part of your argument is that slayers cost 500k + and while that is true for top tier creme de la creme slayers, that is not the case for slayers with low damage mods and tactics.
    2. My avatar is the "enter britannia" button, not a dragon.
    3. That sandstone sale is not only an extreme anomaly for mining houses, this is on account of it being like the #1 creme de la creme mining house on the shard. Of course its going to fetch a big price tag. This is just like slayers, if you want the best, expect to pay for it, but that doesn't mean you are out of the game. I can go around and place houses near mining caves all day right this very second and have nearly the same utility as that 500k s/b sandstone.
    4. I don't do bods so I don't know how inflation plays a role in that bod being 100k. Whats the reward or that in large form?

Later I will go over all the items a new player will want/need/desire and detail how not out of reach nor affected by inflation these items are.
    newme likes this.
  18. Alice Asteroid

Okay, I get what you're saying. I still think that it would make a difference if triple boxing was removed, if only that it would take people more time to acquire so much wealth. I agree with you, though, that it wouldn't be the ultimate solution to inflation. But then again, I don't think gold sinks would be the ultimate solution, either. It's a tough one, for sure.
    newme likes this.
  19. Alice Asteroid

You know, I think these are valuable discussions but I should probably take a back seat and let the more experienced players on this shard do most of the talking. I feel like I just don't know enough about it. I love you all. Gideon, your math-based takedown made me smile so big. Haha.
    newme likes this.
  20. Gideon Jura

One, newme and Alice Asteroid like this.