Installing UO:R and Razor on Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Server & Client Support' started by SIRSLY, Jun 19, 2013.

1. SIRSLY

SIRSLY New Member

I've followed these basic steps a few times on both OS X Snow Leopard and Lion. I'd expect they should work with other OS X versions too. Take note that OS X absolutely HATES UO Auto-Map (try as I might, I've never successfully gotten it to run). Also, in-game music won't play, though sound effects still work.

The basic steps are:
    - Install X11 of some type
    - Install Xcode and Apple's Command Line Developer Tools
    - Install and update MacPorts
    - Use MacPorts to install Wine and winetricks
    - Use winetricks to install dotnet20 (and some other stuff)
    - Install UO and Razor
    - Enter Happyland

The detailed steps are:
    1) Download and install XQuartz. Alternatively, you could Install Apple's X11.app, provided by the “X11 User” package (an optional installation on your system CDs/DVD). I'm not positive, but I think that X11.app might come already installed on Lion and later. You could search for X11 in Spotlight to see if it's already installed.

2) Download (or find your install CDs) and install Apple's Xcode Developer Tools (version 4.4 or later for Mountain Lion, 4.1 or later for Lion, 3.2 or later for Snow Leopard, or 3.1 or later for Leopard), found at the Apple Developer Connection site, on your Mac OS X installation CDs/DVD, or in the Mac App Store. Apple's Command Line Developer Tools are found at the Apple Developer Connection site, or they can be installed from within Xcode 4. Users of Xcode 3 or earlier can install this by ensuring that the appropriate option(s) are selected at the time of Xcode's install ("UNIX Development", "System Tools", "Command Line Tools", or "Command Line Support").
    Xcode 4 and later users need to first accept the Xcode EULA by either launching Xcode or running:
    xcodebuild -license

3) Download and install MacPorts.

4) Open a terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and run:
    sudo port selfupdate

5) In your terminal run the command:
    sudo port install wine-devel

5 1/2) Wait a REALLY long time. This part takes FOREVER. If it craps-out while compiling a package, you should run 'sudo port clean packagename' for whatever package failed and then run 'sudo port install wine-devel' again.

6) In your terminal run the command:
    sudo port install winetricks

7) One at a time, run the following commands in your terminal:
    winetricks corefonts
    winetricks vcrun6
    winetricks dotnet20
    winetricks fontfix

8) Download the UO:R client and Razor from http://www.uorenaissance.com

9) One at a time, run the following commands in your terminal:
    wine ~/Downloads/UO_Renaissance_Client.exe
    wine ~/Downloads/Razor_Latest.exe

10) To play the game, open a terminal and run the following command:
    wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Razor/Razor.exe

That's it. I never messed with trying to make an icon to launch UO, but I did make an alias in my .profile for it, so you could do that if you wanted. Have fun!
  2. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

This looks like a great, detailed guide. Thanks for putting it together.
  3. pdodd

pdodd New Member

I am using Mac OS X 10.8.4.

When I got to step 7, I kept getting this terminal error when I tried each of the commands:

• Code:
      wine cmd.exe /c echo '%ProgramFiles%' returned unexpanded string '%SystemDrive%\Program Files' ... can be caused a corrupt wineprefix, an old wine, or by not owning /Users/my_username/.wine

Running these two commands fixed the problem for me though, and I was able to continue with the guide:

• Code:
      rm -rf ~/.wine
      export WINEARCH=win32

4. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Odd... sounds like there was a partial Wine environment already built in your directory. Had you tried installing anything in Wine on this install of 10.8.4 before?

(I realize that you did solve your issue -- just curious where it came from now)
  5. Ludafish

Ludafish New Member

Hi, I have done everything, now I can't seem to input server port on Razor because it is gray. Nothing i Do changes that. I followed directions for this problem here: http://ask.uosecondage.com/questions/26 ... n-wine-osx
    but I think my wine.bin is newer and doesnt have the "last server" in the directory. Nothing ive tried has worked.

PLEASE HELP!

Edit* FIXED!: If you have trouble with the server port being Grayed out, log into EA once, let it glitch out, THEN go into wine regedit.exe and fix the 'last server' to the right one. YOU MUST LOG IN ONCE TO EA OR ANY OF THEM TO GET THE "LAST SERVER" TO SHOW IN REGEDIT.EXE!
  6. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Oh cool -- I didn't even know you could run UO at all on a Mac. I should probably tell my sister. Heh, when we were little we had to share one UO account, and we both played on the same shard. hehe
    Kishember likes this.
  7. Ludafish

Ludafish New Member

One last question please for anyone who knows: How do i get tooltips and windows settings on wine? like the reag and status bar at the top of the window for UO... is that the skin?

Any help appreciated!
  8. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

9. Ludafish

Ludafish New Member

yeah got that... But I need the skin (i think its .msstyles or something?) to get the windows theme so my window for UO isnt mountain lion but windows xp so it shows it like windows does (name, crim, health bar, reags, bandies). Also when i play another shard in later expansions i do not get tooltips hovering over people and objects. Installed UO Classic client last night still not working.

Tips appreciated!
  10. SIRSLY

SIRSLY New Member

If you open a terminal and run 'winecfg' you'll get a lot of options for configuring your Wine installation. There is a "Graphics" tab in there and some options for "Window settings." I think you want to un-check "Allow the window manager to decorate the windows." I also made some other config changes when I did my install, but I don't remember what.
  11. Ludafish

Ludafish New Member

First off SIRSLY, thanks for this go to guide. I'd be lost without it man. Secondly, I did winecfg and downloaded a skin and applied it but I failed to make the top bar of my window the theme i chose, it stayed osx. Furthermore, I am having trouble with getting tooltips to work in the game. My research has turned up nothing on the matter either... Do you have these working for you? If so, how?
  12. corruption

I've never had to download any skins for Wine. Disabling the window manager option that SIRSLY mentioned, has always been sufficient for me -- though admittedly I use a Wine installation for my backup, and normally just run it in a virtual machine to avoid compatibility issues with UO AutoMap. Have you tried just eliminating the skin you downloaded, and using the in-built defaults via winecfg like SIRSLY mentioned?

As far as the tooltips go -- what tooltips aren't popping up? Most things in game don't have tool tips, and even fewer have any kind of tool tips when you hover over them. Really, only GUI elements, like when you pull a spell icon out of a spellbook, are the only things that come to mind. If you could clarify what tooltips you're expecting, and where in the game, it may be a little easier to clarify this for you.
  13. Ludafish

Ludafish New Member

I downloaded the UO classic client. The tooltip is weird on it as it has a box with an eye, arrow, and something else. once i clicked on it (to the eye setting) it displayed tooltips on items etc..

However I still haven't turned my window into a windows xp theme. Well.. I did, but the main menu bar remained mountain lion. I unchecked what was said and installed a skin.. didnt help
  14. corruption

Sounds like its a modern version of the classic client. I don't think this will work optimally for the shard -- you want the UO installer from here:

http://www.uorenaissance.com/?page=m_download

There are no tooltips as you describe on this shard -- pretty certain thats a function on newer OSI servers.
  15. Ludafish

Ludafish New Member

Hello again,

I had to wipe my os and reinstall recently and i tried to do this again.

Now I am getting a "Razor was unable to locate and load a suitable UO cliloc file"

how do i fix this in wine?

there are other errors that occur "unhandled exception":

System.InvalidOperationException: Window handle already exists.
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CheckReleased()
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CreateHandle(CreateParams cp)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CreateHandle()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Handle()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.GetSafeHandle(IWin32Window window)
    at System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.ShowCore(IWin32Window owner, String text, String caption, MessageBoxButtons buttons, MessageBoxIcon icon, MessageBoxDefaultButton defaultButton, MessageBoxOptions options, Boolean showHelp)
    at System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show(IWin32Window owner, String text, String caption, MessageBoxButtons buttons, MessageBoxIcon icon)
    at Assistant.Language.LoadCliLoc()
    at Assistant.Engine.Main(String[] Args)

then it encounters an unknown error and has to close.

PLEASE HELP
  16. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

17. Ludafish

Ludafish New Member

18. Tizon

Tizon New Member

Hey thanks to your guide I have UO:R running smooth on my mac... the only problem is that my mouse doesn't work when I click somewhere to go in the game...
    any help on this?
    thanks
  19. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Do you have your mouse configured to have both a right and left "button"?
  20. Corvalis

Corvalis New Member

I am new to terminal on Mac. I followed the instructions in the OP and had UO running well several times. I rebooted my computer and tried to launch Razor again from terminal and get the following response: "-bash: wine: command not found"

Any help here? I am close to saying screw it and getting VMWare and Windows 7 running on my Macbook Air...