Into a Gem-filled Abyss

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Codus, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Codus

Codus Well-Known Member

It was was like any other night when I left my house near an ever popular treasure map location, 3rd of its kind. I was thirsty and it was a Friday night so I figured "The Drunken Stag" was the place to be. Looking forward to a night filled with revelry, drinks, and maybe just a bit of debauchery, I made my way to Cove. After parking my trusty stead outside, I entered. But no one was around, not even a barkeep. Odd...

upload_2020-10-17_18-31-22.png

After waiting around for a bit pondering where everyone was, finally I noticed a Paladin lurking around. Soon it was clear he wasn't just wandering but heading directly to the Tavern with a purpose. They entered with a warm grin and offered their name, Dacek. We chatted for a bit. He had overheard a group of citizens who were planning to meet at this very tavern prior to setting off an adventure. They were seeking the hidden lab of a wizard who was working on a way to enter the realm of daemons. He planned to protect the would-be demonologist hunters against those in Britannia who had less than noble intentions. I scoffed.. why would anyone be so foolhardy as to try and enter hell?! Well at least it made sense why the Tavern was as empty as my current bottle of ale, everyone was out gearing up.

As our conversation flowed like the mead, I complimented him on his weapon. This noble paladin blessed me with one of my own. An agpaite spear to match my lantern! How generous! Although I was unsure if I was going to join the adventure to the Abyss, it was already turning out to be a grand evening.

upload_2020-10-17_18-26-38.png

It wasn't long before more and more patrons, or would be exorcists, arrived at the Drunken Stag. A palpable excitement started to permeate the air as did the thick aroma of drink. Maybe it was the excitement or maybe it was the the booze I was drinking all evening.....

upload_2020-10-17_18-30-9.png upload_2020-10-17_18-36-15.png

But as the night shifted into early morning, I decided to join them. How bad could a daemon be? Balrons are just old wives tales anyway. The leader of this misfit band of adventurers opened a portal to the dungeon of Hythloth, where the lab was purported to be. In we went.

upload_2020-10-17_18-34-58.png

The dungeon was dark and smelled strongly of sulfuric ash. It was a labyrinthian maze of tunnels and dead ends filled with cobwebs, blood, bones, and daemons already escaping the pits of hell. We promptly dispatched them back to the Abyss planning to meet up and see them once more for a second round. However with so many dingy paths to search for the hidden laboratory, our numbers began to spread out.

upload_2020-10-17_18-40-28.png

Feeling Lucky we pushed on anyway, spreading out, deeper into the darkness. Searching a for a way into Hell, I began to ponder. I have heard tell that spread throughout the lands of Sosaria there are those who mean nothing but harm to others, but I had never believed that to be the case. I always figured people were somewhere in the middle. While I am sure Dacek had noble intentions in assisting us own our adventure, I am sure he has strayed from the Paladin path once or twice. I know I haven't always been a perfect person. I think that there are Fun seeking Lads and Felonious Ladies and that most of us are a mixture of both. I wondered what sort of actions would cause a Fallen Lord to rise in the Abyss after dying....

upload_2020-10-17_19-7-6.png

We found the answer. Out of the shadows brigands attacked! Grave robbers? Followers of the demonologist we were hunting? They didn't stop to wax poetic on motive. Instead they struck down our leader, who ironically, in hushed tones had been called the dirtiest player in the game. I would call that a Filthy Lie based on what we encountered this night. However, we were not deterred and we fought back!

upload_2020-10-17_19-12-52.png

We pressed deeper and finally arrived at the laboratory of the feared demonologist. It looked like he wasn't home, however, his enslaved succubus' guarded his work. They were no match for our emboldened spirits and the map to the entrance to the Abyss was ours! We hastily made our escape back to Cove to search for a skilled cartographer capable of decoding this diabolical map. Luckily I knew someone. Chester Coperpot, grandmaster cartographer, known far and wide for his "rich stuff" and his "never say die" attitude.

upload_2020-10-17_19-18-2.png upload_2020-10-17_19-22-12.png

Chester quickly decoded the map and lead us to an island jungle where we waited patiently. Then we waited impatiently. Something was amiss. He could not dig. Try as he might, it was like some sort of magic was controlling him. Nothing happened... and he had the urge to try again later....
    upload_2020-10-17_19-24-28.png

Someone in the group had the idea to try a different location (and map). This one lead our crew to the island of rebirth and new beginnings, Ocllo. This island however, is also inhabited by thieves. They pretend to be working class citizens, but they are just criminals. After handling the Ferocious Loiterers of the dungeon Hythloth, those with Sticky Fingers were no match for us. Chester quickly uncovered the entrance to the...

upload_2020-10-17_19-29-2.png

Gem Filled Mine! No Balrons, No Daemons, No Abyss, No Matter! As were a band of adventurers in search of wizard's with labs doing foul works. And we found such in the mine below Ocllo. However, ultimately, this puppeteer of mineral marionettes was slain.

upload_2020-10-17_19-34-36.png

Word travels fast in Sosarian taverns, guild halls, and back alleys. Messenger's carried news of our success across the lands. While some would say we were not Iron Men or Woman, I would argue our spirit and resolve was as strong as our blades which were mostly made of iron.

upload_2020-10-17_19-37-26.png

**Special thanks to @Vincent Blackshadow for hosting**
    Event thread - https://uorforum.com/threads/into-the-abyss-naturalist-and-new-player-event.51360/#post-460165

Attached Files:

AOٌ, RavenMagi, Xavant_BR and 12 others like this.