IRC Status

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Chris, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Currently there is some ongoing technical issues with the Chat4All IRC network. They are working on the issue and services should be restored soon.

If you are using MIRC or another irc client you can try eu.chat4all.org, us.chat4all.org or irc.chat4all.org

Keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Update: The EU Chat4all server was the target of a DDOS attack. Once this is mitigated IRC services should return as usual.

Update2: The eu.chat4all.org server is still down however you can connect to us.chat4all.org or irc.chat4all.org. If you are having trouble using the web client just try different browsers. Clearing your internet history can help as well.

If you continue to have problems post here and we will help you out!
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Thank you for the update.
  3. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Chris,

Is there a specific reason why Chat4All was chosen to host our channel?

According to netsplit.de Chat4All is only the 74th IRC network on the world with only 6 servers available and 590 users average.

Meanwhile, there are more robust networks like QuakeNet (also well known for hosting gaming channels) with more than 40 servers and 33000+ users.

Source: http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/top100.php

I myself have some problems connecting to Chat4All servers and there's no much I can do since there's only 3 main servers I'm able to try. It lacks option server-wise.
  4. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Privacy and support for LightIRC were our main reasons. Chat4all by default masks all user IP addresses. We have also used them for over 3 years with almost zero downtime. (This is the largest outage to date). At the time we left our old IRC host this was the best option available and we have been very happy here.

They have done a fantastic job keeping the services up and preventing spam or any other drama normally associated with irc.

I am sure there are larger networks available, but this one has been drama free and very reliable so we have not had to worry about looking for options.
    Zyler and Heretic like this.
  5. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

Aye