Is Wrestling a real combat skill ?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Awen, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Awen

Awen Active Member

Hello

All is in the title.

Is Wrestling effective in combat ? or do i need to combine with another combat skill or arms lore or anatomy ?
    i usually use it to prevent interrupt with mage.

Thanks
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Just about every mage has wrestling, or defensive wrestling (Eval + Anat) so that they don't get interrupted by critters while trying to cast spells.

Although wrestling alone is not an effective means of damage in combat, combining it with anatomy lets you stun punch to pull off combos. But other than that, it's mostly used to decrease your chance of being hit while casting a spell.

There's also disarming if you have Arms Lore + Wrestling, but it's real use only comes in if you have a thief.
    RavenMagi, One and BlackEye like this.
  3. Awen

Awen Active Member

Ok, this skill alone is not a real combat skill ... :( probably because tactics do not enhance it.. ?

Thanks for the answer and time lost ;)
  4. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I think Tactics *does* enhance it, but its base damage is very low and that is why it's not effective. It's like getting to 100.0 Swordsmanship and using a Skinning Knife in combat...
    Christoph Brock likes this.
  5. RavenMagi

RavenMagi Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

wrestling is a real combat skill, not because of damage just because it is the most reliable stun/paralyzer. Alot of group combat in this games revoles around getting in a stun/paralyze and then having your group sync a damage dump. Traditionally it is used with mages but even a dexxer group can use wrestling well.
  6. Awen

Awen Active Member

thanks for the answer.
    That was a part of my question .
    I will plan to use it in some char with Anat or Arms Lore for this useful stun/para combo, but i was not very sure to knock down/kill monsters with : maybe dog, rabbit, but not ogre, ettin or harpy or spider (most common creature in land)
  7. Mino

Mino Active Member

Reviving this thread for a pure wrestler report. Template is Wrestling, Arms Lore, Anatomy, Tactics, Healing, Hiding & Stealth. 4 skills for Wrestling damage, 1 for healing, 2 for rogue skills which come in handy (getting out in sticky situations, getting back items from friends corpses in dangerous areas, exploring etc.) This toon is on foot, no mounts.

- If you want to fight with your fists without relying on magery (I think only I do such madness here), get GM anatomy & tactics. Without tactics wrestling is a nightmare. It will take you around 30 minutes to finish off an executioner with your bare fists after you disarm. lots of brawling & bandages. Hilarious though.

- Faster punches with more dexterity.

- Equipping a fishing pole will increase your wrestling speed (faster than 100 dex)

- Each special move (disarm, stun) attempt will cost you 15 stamina, so keep food & total refresh pots stocked in your backpack. Food will hold you for a limited time; that is until you're too full to eat anymore.

- If you get GM anatomy & tactics, you don't need fists to win the fight. You can use any weapon with 10 shown skill (jack of all trades bonus) with 100 str & dex. Choose a fast weapon (dagger, kryss, katana, quarter staff) and you'll be surprised.

- You can disarm weapons and shields with Arms Lore, works great on PvM support on Scrolls & AMiBs. Any humanoid can be disarmed, except Neira (which I learned my lesson the hard way) Never tried to disarm guards, worth a shot I guess. :D

You need stealing skill to use Arms Lore offensively against players because players will reequip their weapons. There's a 10 stone limit so Halberds & some maces are out of the equation.

Edit: Tried Barracoon Champ with guild and I'm very happy to say that Barracoon CAN be disarmed. I neutralized his bow at my first attempt.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  8. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

Care to post a video of this guy disarming?

This may be enough to get me to actually log back in. Archery on this server needs work. lol

Also whats the jack of all trades bonus?
    One likes this.
  9. Mino

Mino Active Member

Stats increase your shown skill so you don't start with 0 shown skill. Melee skills rely on strength and dexterity so with both at 100, you get +10 skill bonus for each weapon skill instead of 0. When you equip a fast weapon you can deliver nice damage with gm anatomy and tactics bonus. I even hit special moves every now and then if the weapon supports it (2 handed metal weapons)

I don't have a high end pc and disk space to record, but I can live demo if there's a demand. Some of my guildmates already made some disarmers in case I don't show up at events :D

Also we can now confirm that Krampus can also be disarmed. You don't need stealing for npcs as they don't reequip; unless you plan to make a disarm thief which changes the template radically because you need at least recall capable magery (or scrolls) to keep your loot and get mounted to get away fast.

I admit don't expect to fight high end mobs with this one especially with my template, but it gets the fun factor on other activities anyway (scouting & support)

Here are some templates according to style:

(My Setup) Wrestler Rogue

Wrestling, ArmsLore, Anatomy, Healing, Tactics, Hiding, & Stealth. (Use whatever you scavenge, or GM stuff from your crafter, no mounts, nothing to rage about if you get killed)

Disarm & Melee (Pure Dexer)

Wrestling, ArmsLore, Anatomy, Healing, Tactics, Weapon Skill, Skill of choice (I recommend maces -tried and tested-, you get disarm & stun punch, quarter staff speed & crushing blow with a hammer and best of all stam drain so monsters hit you slower)

Disarm Stun Mage

Wrestling, ArmsLore, Magery, Meditation, Eval Int, Resist, Anatomy

Disarm Scribe or Nox Mage

Wrestling, ArmsLore, Magery, Meditation, Eval Int, Resist, Poisoning or Inscription

Dr. Strange (event support including champs)

Wrestling ,ArmsLore, Anatomy, Healing, Veterinary, Magery, Meditation.

Trolling Bard

Wrestling, ArmsLore, Musicianship, Provocation, Magery, Med, skill of choice

and on & on...

Bonus: Have a friend (or 2nd account, which I don't use) hire NPCs and transfer it to you, get to humanoid areas (like brigand, sailor camps or executioners) and use them. You disarm the target and heal your NPCs while they stab, slice & bash your unarmed humanoid.

Warning: Watch out for archer humanoids, they still hit hard even when disarmed.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Xavant_BR and Chafe like this.