It's been quite some time

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by napo, Sep 19, 2016.

1. napo

napo Well-Known Member

And the server performance is still shit. I feel that I've been quite patient - I was under the impression that this was going to be looked at after the anniversary event.
    And here we are, after the anniversary, and it still feels like I'm playing at 300 ping.

Are there any plans to fix this? Or is this another one of those "any day now" things?
  2. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Your traffic is actually being custom routed through Malaysia. Enjoy.
  3. napo

napo Well-Known Member

what about all those other people who have already quit due to server performance
  4. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Dunkin Donuts gives me free coffee when I'm at work, I too like to tell them it tastes like shit as often as I can.
    Rickbrent, Khalil, Everlast and 8 others like this.
  5. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member

Where are you connecting from?
  6. napo

napo Well-Known Member

I mean, you're correct, I can just choose not to play here. It seems that many people are making that choice these days.
    I'd like the lag to be fixed and for the server to become a vibrant place again, though.
    BlackEye likes this.
  7. Ron Jeremy

Ron Jeremy Well-Known Member

I'm kicking ass, 30 or less ping... I love it! keep up the good work!
  8. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

This sums it up pretty much.

Well, many are screwed by the server move, some did profit. My guess is, it will never change back. But it would be nice, to get some official information, because Staff here said, they will evaluate the impact of the Shard move and decide. Enough time has passed, the EU player base has died out meanwhile, that's a fact. I find it okay, to ask for the result of this evalution from Staff and get some official statements. Even if the answer is 'we are staying in Oblivion and you have to live with 250ms pings', I'd like to hear that at least and dont waste my hopes. It's even much more important to PvP dudes like napo, because I can still do other things like farming (but this is also one reason why I dont play my thief anymore).

Tl,dr: I think it's okay to ask at least what's going on, without being attacked by Donut fat faces.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Kane, the finest, Mes and 2 others like this.
  9. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    just recently but ouch!
  10. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Telamon said that they received "several months" of free services from the host due to the forced move. It's my understanding that he intends to wait out the free service period before searching for another host. What's several months? Who knows. I agree that a little update would be nice.

Also, I agree that asking for an update is ok. However, being a douche in the process is unacceptable, especially when it's a free service and you're coming off like an angry fat lady demanding that the manager gives you some more free stuff.
    Rickbrent, Khalil, the finest and 3 others like this.
  11. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

I can't wait for your pathetic try to show or proof that this has been done with the original post.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear in his paraphrased "any day now" quote. He's also spent plenty of time griping about not only server performance but staff practices as well, for a long while now. There's a lot more to consider than what is contained in the original post. I'm sure staff really cares about what he has to say when he regularly bashes them for decisions they've made, for good or ill.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen napo's name in orange, so in my opinion his feelings on the matter are even less relevant. You even spent plenty of time griping about shit before the server move, but at least you contribute to the costs of operation here. Telamon has no intention of hemorrhaging players more than he can afford to. However, this shard runs of his volition and finance and is only partially supported by the player base. Whether those contributions have anything to do with location or efforts to move, I have no idea.

That said, he's also got a business to run aside from this pet project and I'm sure we can all agree, taking care of number one should always take priority over video games.
    newme and Artex like this.
  13. bart simpson

14. It'sallALark

It'sallALark Well-Known Member

My ping went from about 30 to 80 and I get lag spikes now where I completely pause. It's playable, but I was one of the ones who had a far better con before. The pauses make me think that's going to happen at the worst time possible and mess me up in a bad way.
  15. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

I'll say this -

• The server moved from a location more central to me, to one fairly far away
    • My ping went up, while others on the West Coast received a gift
    These two statements above are to be expected with this type of move, and i'll take it with a grain of salt and adjust my play a bit.

The server-wide lag spikes, (everyone on the server freezes for a time period of 2-3 seconds every 30 seconds or so) is a different story to me. This is pretty frustrating especially when they are paired back to back with the world saves, export etc.

I think this is something that really needs pursued and put as priority above all else UOR-related. We diagnose these types of things all of the time at my company, and it shouldn't be too difficult to track down, you just have to get on the phone and rattle some cages. No company wants to potentially lose customers.

You have to start looking at the following infrastructure in a 'process of elimination' type of fashion:
    • Network - (Switch throughput / ports / cable / packet loss / ethernet errors increasing)
    • Hardware - (Server issue - Drive / Memory / CPU / Event / syslog mining)
    • Security 'middleware' - (Such as the added layer of protection to help mitigate the DDoS attacks previously experienced)
    • Software - (A change/update in actual code that introduced the problem)
    If it's one of the top 3 things in this list, I'd call them up and be very aggressive about getting this fixed. Tell them you're losing revenue because of unsatisfied clients. That is just how I would handle it though. I've worn many shoes in this industry, so I know essentially all angles. They all resolve to the same outcome.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The shard pauses at least impact everyone equally at the same time. They suck pretty bad and I assure you from what I've learned in conversation and attempts to help test, that it is something known by administration and thus far very difficult to pinpoint a root cause of.
    It'sallALark likes this.
  17. napo

napo Well-Known Member

You know, stuff like this really isn't productive. It's just attempts to bash me, or say I'm being too rude, or saying that I don't get an opinion because I've never donated - these aren't attempts to move the discussion forward, these are attempts to cancel the discussion.
    I think a discussion is warranted here, there are lots of people who are having issues with server performance. People are quitting right and left. Some people have even posted about their issues in this very thread, despite the defense force showing up trying to discourage a discussion about this. There are a great many people concerned about this, and this is probably the issue that is most important to the server at the moment. People are quitting in droves, if you haven't noticed.

I know you guys like to circle the wagons and convince yourselves that everything is fine and that I or anyone else who might bring up an issue are just a negative people who want to see the server fail, but at this point you aren't really fooling anyone other than yourselves. I would like to see the server running well and full of people because I like to pvp, and to pvp I need a server that runs decently well and I need people to fight.
    RavenMagi, Mes and BlackEye like this.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Beach hair, don't care. No one's trying to discourage discourse, it's just that no one really cares much about the opinions of someone who regularly bashes the administration for running their free show the way they see fit.

I see over 600 clients logged on currently. Kindly pay attention to your claims and how they relate to reality. People have been quitting while others are joining....since Beta.

*edited for the sake of neutral-ish discourse.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  19. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I think everyone has been very respectful. I think this is a valid concern, and keeping it out of trash talk would be ideal.
  20. bart simpson

shad likes this.