- Jupiter's Journey's -

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Jupiter, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

treasures of covet

A silent bulk of smoothly polished bones passed with ease through the trees. Brymstone was clearly a formidable force to any who challenged him. It was not just his daunting frame that demanded fearful respect, but also the fact that he had of his own accord and by his sheer will destroyed the necromatic bonds that had caged his soul. True, it had taken countless millennia for him to attain enough strength and ranking within the inner circles of the undead eschelons, but he was a warrior in the truest sense and throughout all these ages had never truly surrendered to the master's will. He had remained patient and waited until the moment was right.

sadly, despite his victory over the tombs, he was now an outcast in two worlds. The realm of Death now had a bounty for his essence, and among the living any who saw him shuddered and fled in fear.

But here, out in the wilds; near an oft forgotten shrine, he had found solitude and acceptance. He didn't quite understand what it was, but there was something about this village that gave him relief from the constant feeling of threat that had followed him since he broke the unholy shackles. Death, after all was not a forgiving master. But when he walked around the lumbering trees and quiet homes of Paws he felt as though he escaped death's shrewd gaze.

The settlers of Paws had given him something the ages had deprived him of for so long: hope. Hope that there was still some use for an ancient warrior. Hope that redemption could someday allow his bones to rest from the countless acts of abomination he had fulfilled while enslaved to his master.

"Oh by the stars!," Jupiter looked up with a start when Brymstone stepped into the clearing, "you are surprisingly silent despite your size aren't you?"

Brymstone merely nodded. It wasn't so much as difficult for him to speak the common tongue as it was uncomfortable for each word he uttered served as a reminder that he was no longer human. Jupiter understood this, and Brymstone decided it made him glad that the old wizard never pressed him to speak unless necessary. Glad? Appeased? Yes, glad was the appropriate term.

"Brymstone I'm glad you're here," Jupiter announced, "I recovered this parchment from an ettin that wandered across my path. I believe it is a map however, the mongrel had been using this to roll a cigar. I can't make any sense of it now. Perhaps you could...?" Jupiter held out the map and gestured to the world chart he had sprawled about in the open grass.

Brymstone held the map briefly, he held it to his mouth and breathed upon it. As if in reply the paper hissed back and strange letters appeared on the back - A - V - I - D - U - S. He then approached Jupiter's chart. Jupiter detected a hint of hesitation before Brymstone flung a dagger into the map; right above the caverns of covetous...