Lets do LJ more interesting!

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Barak, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Barak

Barak Member

As everyone know, lumberjacking is one of the most boring skills to level. You have to be there, move from tree to tree, move the logs with you...most people(where I includes myself) just do it into guardzone just to grab the wood faster to the bank(at least me :D).

But I was thinking this evening, fishing is way MUCH more interesting now! Since the amib system, and the need add of pirate raids and the champion spawn! Mining, well, they have their own elementals using special pickaxes, if u are a miner and u want some fun, u get a gargoyle pickaxe, and lets battle ore elementals!

Why dont do that on LJ?

Im not asking for a raid of orcs which spawns randomly(would be cool anyway), but why not a "Wood Elemental", like an earth elemental but darker, and when u kill him it drops some logs/boards. Or even a Treant(a reaper). Imagine it! U are chopping a tree and suddenly it awakes! Angry! And it gonna chop u down! This mobs could just randomly spawns when u are chopping a tree, in deep forest. So we will have both paces, the ones who just want safe boards, and the ones who wants boards and some fun!

I think it would be cool to increment the fun while lumberjacking!

Ofc, Im not asking to do it in the next patch, or anytime soon, I dont care to GM my LJ doing the normal pace, but I you put that, or something similar, I would continue LJing after GM it, just for the fun to find a damned treant! I just wanted to give the idea, and see if it is possible. Or someone else who can improve it :)

PS: Sorry if I have some grammar errors, but not my mothertongue language :) I hope you understand me good enough
  2. Knive

Knive New Member

LJ's already get a axe fighing bonus.
  3. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

And the LJ can use that bonus against random spawns! You will actually go out and LJ instead of make a lumberjack and quit chopping wood as soon as you hit gm.
  4. Barak

Barak Member

Exactly! Not everyone who have a LJ is going to PvP(mine will be,but still long way to GM). And anyway, any LJ PvPer could find some fun just going out into deep forest and chopping down few trees to see if any wood/oak elemental or treant spawns in his face!

I know, it give you a bonus, aye okay numbers, thats the target for everyone. But if we add something interesting in the way to this target, or something additional to the people who are not looking just for a number?

Dunno, call me trammelite or whatever, but I think it would be interesting to people raising or already maxed skill.
  5. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

I'm currently working on my GM LJ. Started off at 50.0 two days ago and currently at 98.2

You can imagine, I did ALOT of lumberjacking in the past two days.
    Oh and btw I already did a GM LJ on an OSI shard back in the days.

The damage bonus you get from GM LJ is really worth it. You don't get that from Fishing or Mining. And Lumberjacking is MUCH easier to macro than mining and much more profitable than Fishing. I made 250k getting my LJ from 50.0 to 98.2 so far selling the boards. You don't spend any money on the tools. I'm still using my newbie hatchet. There's plenty of trees inside guard zones ... don't see much room for improvement here.

There are LOTS of other skills that could use a little spice here.
  6. Barak

Barak Member

Im not telling there are no other skills to spice. And yes, you have the profile from someone who just want to bonus and make it fast under city protection. But why not spice it in the way to do more interesting to people who want to do something else than chop trees macroning? You are talking just about the target, Im talking about the pace and the target.
  7. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Lumbejacking is easy, this would make it more challenging and fun. I don't get what is wrong about that? What exactly does a LJ bonus have to do with making the act of lumberjacking more interesting?
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I've already suggested to staff the addition of two random spawning monsters, potentially even of mini-boss level difficulty.

One would be a tough Reaper type that spawns at random when harvesting lumber.

The other is a Cave Troll that spawns at random when mining in caves.

Not sure if it will happen, but don't be too shocked if it does. :p
  9. Knive

Knive New Member

both those idea would be annoying at best.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Good. They're monsters and the land is full of such annoyances. ;P
  11. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Sounds like a better form of anti-macro than a pop up quiz. PKs will get mad that they took thar jarrrbs!!! :lol: I'm pretty sure their appearance would be something that you would love to jack/mine for, hoping for it to spawn all over.
  12. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I'm definitely in for spicing it up, but I think random spawns is a pretty big departure from the era mechanics.

Something that works more like the Gargoyle pickaxe system would be much better, where you only get them if you're looking for them. This would be a great tie-in with the Carpentry BOD system too.
  13. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

Yeah and why stop there? PK's should have a little spice too. Every time you pk someone it has a chance of spawning a top tier mob boss such as the purveyor of darkness.... Not. Worst ideas ever.
  14. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  15. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

No, it would have to be a boss of whatever you pkd like a miner or bard, then you have to call in 5 MORE pks to help you. :lol:
  16. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

Sounds about right.
  17. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Personally I think this is a bit silly, its just heading down the path where people will claim that every skill needs a random monster to pop up just to make it interesting. Lumber jacking is fine as is, it provides a great boost to damage and generates significant income during the process.

Just because you cannot afk macro it 0-GM should not make it necessary to spice up.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Compared to the damage potential of macing, which also gets stam drain, it's not as great as one might expect from 100 skill points.
  19. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

A good way to spice it up would be to make the hatchet wear out and break. :p
  20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

I did some tests on test server with some good weapons, GM lumber came out highest in consistent damage (Out of 50 hits each), while I don't have a screenie of the others I did keep the one from my LJ dexxer.
    [​IMG]

The average final was 43. Since this was against a 0 armor foe with 0 wrestling it's not likely to occur in the field, however this is still a damn good boost in my opinion - especially if we are considering the higher end of the weapon spectrum.

Sure you can get some big hits with macing, however these will mostly occur on special hits (Which have a rate of about 25%) and if we are talking about special weapon traits then -25% int is an incredible advantage for swords.