Liches Too Powerful?

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Deacon, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

I tried to fight a few liches today and got completely destroyed, I'm not sure if they're intended to be this powerful but as it stands there is no way I can take them down solo.

The closest I got was when I brought one down to 20% hp and it just chain healed over the course of three seconds all the way up to about 90% hp.

My character may not be complete yet, but it just seems crazy how much damage these things can do, they cast spells like crazy that do 45hp with 50 resist, then just heal to full.

Are they intended to be this tough, or am I just failing miserably?
  2. Six

Six Member

Every monster on this shard is difficult, and that's the beauty! I'd suggest hopping over to Gharik's Forge and purchasing a Silver weapon, you'll do WAY more damage. I've 2 shot a lich on my Axer!
  3. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Yeah, the lich lords actually earned the title lord here. =D
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Ah, I only ask because I've noticed some discrepancies in spawn, for instance at brig camp there are two different types of brigands that spawn. Ones with the title "the Brigand" and ones without. The ones with the title seem to only have about 40 combat skill, drop about 150gp and usually carry a shield and a random weapon. The ones without a title have about 80 combat skill, drop about 100 gp and carry either a sword/axe/club/spear.
  5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

The brig spawn has been fixed, all of them are now the weaker versions instead of the insanely powerful ones.

I've also found a SUPER easy way to kill the liches so just ignore this thread :p
  6. Mutombo

Mutombo Active Member

OMG im so glad someone said something about this

LICHES ARE WAY TOO POWERFUL

a regular lich killed my mare yesterday <<<< should never happen

I think ALL magic casting MOBS are way OP personally. Magic spells do far too much damage and magic mobs cast spells with NO CASTING delay time..... its not fair.... I got DOUBLE Fs by a shadow wyrm in 1 second.... and fireballed all at once... needless to say i was killed...

MOBs AT THE VERY LEAST should have casting time and interupption mechanics like we the players have to deal with.

Long and short all magic MOBS are way OP and liches epitomize OP
  7. Double Vision

Double Vision New Member

I agree they are way to powerful & if you're going to keep them this powerful increase the loot drop because whats the point of killing any mobs that cast magic for crap loot when you can just kill Artic orc lords with bs spirits that give 700-900 gold? This limits where players farm which makes liches somewhat pointless to even spawn. Also the fact a regular lich can kill a mare proves mares are to nerfed or liches are to OP, a mare should be a able to take on a lich lord and kill it.
  8. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  9. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I have heard they were going to look into the loot drops on monsters. I agree, Evil Lord Mages also drop terrible loot and are pretty tough themselves.
  10. Marvaless

Marvaless New Member

For all you guys farming on dexers just get peacemaking/music and everything is so easy. I started out hunting liches with vendor armor and vendor weps and did it very easily. Peacemaking changes everything trust me..
  11. Six

Six Member

This.

I know that magic is buffed here as well as monster AI, but I did all my farming on a swordsman on UO:SA with peace.

Just tested this out on my LJ with GM peace and ~75 swords/anat/tact/healing and I was able to clear out the Yew liches with no problem just using a silver pickaxe haha.

*Shameless Plug*

My vendor one screen to the right of Brit gate sells Silver weps.
  12. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

Peacemaking may make monsters significantly easier (I don't know how much - haven't used it myself) but I think the state of spellcasting monsters being OP right now is beyond question. Can the tough ones be killed? Yeah, with a lot of patience and work. But that doesn't mean everything is fine. I wouldn't push Peacemaking as the final answer to everyone's PvM woes but if it works as well as you say it's a good temp solution at least until things are worked out.
  13. Double Vision

Double Vision New Member

Although that's a good idea liches are still op at the moment but your method sounds like it would work but then you would have to turn your dexxer into a pvm character and make a whole new character to pvp. Should be able to do both as a dexxer, it's how it's always been just grab a silver weapon and go farm liches. Also a regular liche killing a nightmare that's just not right lol.
  14. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

Well said.

Here's one of my tales - I provoked an Ophidian Knight-Errant against a Matriarch. Knight-Errant died, Mat was at around 1/10 health or lower. I tried to finish her off but I absolutely could not cause enough spell damage fast enough to kill her as she just spammed gheal until I was mana drained. So I ran away and dragged more to provo at her - 3 Warriors and 1 Zealot. She continued to spam gheal right through all of their attacks right back up to 3/4 health and then she turned on the attack and killed them all. It was pretty ridiculous to watch.
  15. Marvaless

Marvaless New Member

I wasn't debating the fact they are stronger here... that's obvious. All mage AI are a lot stronger than usual but what I'm saying is there's ways to deal with it. You know how easy it is to make a peacemaking dexer? You can get one ready to kill liches or whatever else in less than a week 100% AFK. Yes it takes up a character slot but if you don't have 4 tailors then that isn't an issue. Almost everyone has at least one character made for PVM anyways.
  16. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

Again, 'I found a way around a problem' is not equal to 'There is no problem'. There is a problem with magic casting monsters. Congrats on finding a way to work around it that suits you.
  17. nightshark

nightshark Member

Problems with making monsters way too tough is that you get forced into particular playstyles. Case in point is peacemaking trivialising a lich as opposed to them being way too tough without it. All it does in the end is further seperate PvP and PvM characters and removes versatility. I've seen shards do it in the past and it's not personally to my liking.
  18. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

A bug was found in the default Run UO AI that was resulting in the proper spell casting delay not being added to the timer that monsters used to determine their next action.

This was resulting in magical monsters rapid casting spells until they ran out of mana.

Code:
    if( spell != null )
       spell.Cast();

TimeSpan delay;

if (spell is DispelSpell)
          delay = TimeSpan.FromSeconds( m_Mobile.ActiveSpeed );
    else
          delay = GetDelay();

m_NextCastTime = DateTime.Now;

For the coders reading you can probably spot the problem, and this gives you an idea of how much work has to be done to "fix" the RunUO code into a functional server.

The correct end to this process should be as follows, taking the Magery scalar of the monster and calculating the appropriate delay between castings, applying it to the current time after each spell is cast.

Code:
    if( spell != null )
    	spell.Cast();

TimeSpan delay;

if (spell is DispelSpell)
         delay = TimeSpan.FromSeconds( m_Mobile.ActiveSpeed );
    else
         delay = GetDelay();

m_NextCastTime = DateTime.Now + delay;

This fix has been tested on live and will be included in patch 19. This should normalize the casting time of all magical monsters to be properly scaled based on their magery skill and available mana.

Thanks for the report.
  19. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Can you look into the poisoning spell cast by monsters/pets? If it does not apply they cast it again. If they attack a spider or another monster immune to the poison spell they keep spamming poison.
  20. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Actually yes. We had a long discussion about poisoning & AI this evening and that issue was discussed.

I'm not sure changes will make it into Patch 19, however we plan to address some of the issues with poisoning and the advanced AI.