Living in a Windows 10 Hell [Problem Solving Thread]

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Mr. Green, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Mr. Green

Mr. Green Well-Known Member

Anyone else play UOR on a Windows 10 P.O.S.? If so, I'd love to pick your brain on a few issues I've run into.

PROBLEM: IRC stopped working after a recent Windows 10 update, screwed up something with Adobe Flash Player.
    SOLVED: Using mibbit now. Thanks everyone!

PROBLEM: Can't get Razor's 'force game size' option to work.
    SOLVED: Moved Razor to the 32-bit [a.k.a. Program Files (x86)] folder. Thanks Alvien!
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. Smash

Smash Well-Known Member

id say like half the server plays on win 10.

for irc - if you wanna stick web based ive heard mibbit works. or just download a free irc client like mIRC and not worry about shit breaking again in future.
    Mr. Green likes this.
  3. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Mibbit is great
    Mr. Green likes this.
  4. Mr. Green

Thanks guys! Trying out MIRC right now, seems to work well. It's just sad and frustrating that I have to circumvent the 'normal' way of doing things because this operating system has its head so far up its ass... [Using Mibbit now, its free]

On that note; has anyone been able to successfully use Razor's force game size (800x600) option? I've looked at the troubleshooting guides and still can't get it to work. [SOLVED]
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  5. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The problem is actually with the chatroom provided by Chat4All (IRC Network) that UOR uses. It's more of a server-side issue than anything. Trying real IRC solutions like mIRC or Hexchat is the real deal. Web-wise I think Mibbit is the best.
    Mr. Green likes this.
  6. Crunk Juice

Crunk Juice Well-Known Member

I have to restart my irc mibbit page 2-4 times every time when I first log in because it always shows there are 0 people in the chat room. So annoying
    Mr. Green likes this.
  7. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

I use windows 10 but no issues for me. Every once in a while ill get a random disconnect using the website irc, but not sure where to put the blame on that one. Though its a very small issue.
    Mr. Green likes this.
  8. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

I have Windows 10 and never had issues running UO, Razor, or Hexchat.

I was; however, getting frequent disconnections from the Ren server some months back and thought it was windows 10. I then got Oracle VM Virtual Box running Windows XP and that's how I play now. Later on I figured out the disconnects were my router, but stayed playing on my virtual XP machine.

I cannot stress how awesome Hexchat is for IRC...
    eherruh and Mr. Green like this.
  9. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member

I've used mibbit and loved it, but now I'm using https://www.irccloud.com. I can stay connected 24/7 and use it on my phone/computer at the same time! It's great being able to get pm's while I'm out. :D
    Mr. Green and Medieval Name like this.
  10. Erlkonig

Erlkonig Well-Known Member

On windows 10 I DO NOT set any compatibility settings on razor or the client. UOAM is pesky and needs to be ran as administrator.

mIRC is the OG best IRC client, itll ask you to register but you don't need to. I did and feel that the software is worth it for how long ive used it
    Chadarius and Mr. Green like this.
  11. Alvien

Alvien Well-Known Member

Move your Razor into the 32bit install folder.

That should clear up your force resolution problems.

I recommend icechat for IRC, it has a nice black background and is easy on the eyes.
    Mr. Green likes this.
  12. Chadarius

Chadarius Active Member

Neat trick for UOAM. You can run it from anywhere and you don't need to run it as an admin just to write to the .map files.

I have folders that I sync to the cloud that I run UOAM from and then all my data that I add to it is saved to the cloud. I can run UOAM from multiple PC's and always have the same data. :)

I have a script that actually backs up and syncs all my UO stuff (client config, Razor files, UOAM, Hexchat, etc...) to the cloud that allows me to run UO with the same synchronized config as long as I have access to my cloud data on a PC with the UO:Ren install on it. It keeps it all synced in realtime in the background while I play and makes a backup everytime I launch UO and keeps the last 30 days of configs just incase something goes wonky on me. :)
    Mr. Green likes this.
  13. Medieval Name

Medieval Name Well-Known Member

That's what I use also. I don't use IRC on my PC because it's more handy to chat on my phone while playing on my computer since I don't have 2 monitors.
    Free version of the app keeps your connection open for two hours of inactivity!
    Mr. Green and Ahirman like this.
  14. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Mr. Green likes this.
  15. Rextacy

Rextacy Well-Known Member

Windows 7 fo liiifeee
    Mr. Green likes this.
  16. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

Right click Razor shortcut to 'Run as Administrator' to allow 'Force Game Size' to work.

upload_2018-2-6_0-39-3.png
    Mr. Green likes this.
  17. Mr. Green

I just wanted to give @Alvien some public praise.. not only did he provide solid advice in this thread;
    He walked my PC-challenged ass through the process and made sure it worked for me!

If only the internet allowed me to give you a bro-hug...
    Thank-You-So-Much-Meme.jpg
    snap dragon and RIN like this.