Lockpicking and detect hidden

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by BNB, Sep 14, 2017.

1. BNB

BNB Member
    UO:R Donor

Hi all,

I'm making a Treasure Hunter, been reading up on guides that I should macro detect hidden to gm until Lock picking get to GM (which takes a long time i read).

My question is, if I have GM detect hidden will it make gaining lock picking from 95-100 slower?

Also I see most builds don't have remove trap, I assume the old school way of using telekinesis to set off the trap still works?
  2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

I don't have detect hidden as I didn't have space on my build so I can't answer that question - however telekinesis is not needed to remove a trap on a dungeon chest, just step 1 tile away from it and double click it.

The trap will go off and you will take no damage, additionally if you have stealth you can do all of this while hidden!

Good luck!
    Kiryana likes this.
  3. Fefa

Fefa Active Member

I trained lockpicking on two chars whidout detect hidden.
    My experence: have low dex I traind with 30 dex on first and all went well on second i had 100 dex and i got stucked neer 95 so i did not gain from gm boxes and couldnt lockpick lvl4 chests.
  4. Fefa

Fefa Active Member

yea and i figured up that 1 tile awey from chest soon after i hit GM Lockpicking - before i used telekinesis :)
    and it does not work on digged up chests.
  5. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Low DEX is crucial. If you're still on time, lock it at 10 right after creating your char. You can raise it once you hit 95 LPing and stop gaining from GM boxes.

Telek works just fine for dug up chests and other special chests like amibs and lvl 7 tmap chests.
  6. Fefa

Fefa Active Member

I ment for 1 tile trick doesnt work on dug up chests, telekinesis works fine
  7. PaperSquirrels

PaperSquirrels Well-Known Member

May I explain why you should lock dex at 10 when creating your character. Lockpicking is based on real skill. Your shown skill is an inflated number and in regards to lockpicking, dex will inflate that number higher than it should. The reason why you want the shown skill as low as possible is due to the fact that you will stop gaining lockpicking on GM boxes once either real/shown skill hits 95.

My dex was high and inflated my lockpicking. By the time i stopped gaining skill, my shown was 95 but my real was 93.2. I had to drop my dex to 25 and was able to gain a little bit more in LP. My next milestone was my shown at 95 but my real at 94.6. I had to gain the remaining 0.4 by lockpicking L4 Dungeon chests. Once you hit 95 real LP with GM detecting Hidden, you essentially have GM lockpicking and can LP any chest
    One and eherruh like this.
  8. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

I'd listen to them, I've been training LP for a while with 100 dex and gm detect, And I'm only at 96.4 show real... It's painfully slow.
  9. BNB

BNB Member

Sorry for replying so late. Thank you all for the help, I will make myself super low dex while training.

However can someone tell me if having detect hidden alters the rate in which I can skill?

Let's say I have 95lockpicking. I need to get to 100.

Should i get some detect hidden so I can succeed at picking the highest level locks? Or would the game count me as already reaching 100 on LP and not let me gain skill?
    Will I gain skill on failed attempts from 95-100? If so it makes sense to not have detect hidden so each of the spawned dungeon chest gives me more attempts yes?
  10. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

I don't know but I gave GM detect and it seems slow to me. I'm only 97ish LP

have*
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  11. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

As long as you have a chance to fail you have a chance to gain. LPing is PAINFULLY slow, and easily the most PITA skill to raise to GM. You have to have A LOT of patience and dedication.
  12. xoxo

xoxo Active Member

I found that you'll still gain with 100 DH. If you don't have DH you'll never be able to pick the 4th level chests and in turn never gain above 95.
    However it is still VERY slow to hit GM LP.

Just my 2 cents...(2 cents acquired from a 4th level chest in the Covetous storage room that is.)