lockpicking need advice.

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by DerGrifter, Aug 30, 2013.

1. DerGrifter

DerGrifter New Member

I decided that lock picking would be nice to have on my pvm warrior for when running a dungeons. I have followed a guide here on uor forums in how to raise the skill.
    0-30 buy it
    30-50 lock pick a 30/30 tinker box
    50-76 lock pick a 50/50 tinker box
    76-90/95 lock pick a gm tinker box
    Well my lock picking skill is at 76.0; 68.0 when i hit the show real button. when i go to try the gm box it states that my character has no idea how to manipulate the lock. so i spent another 3 hours macroing on the 50/50 box to end up with 0 additional gains. I dont know what to do.
    some other factors here is that the gm box i have has a trap on it that is enabled when the box is locked; also i know lock picking is a dex based skill and my dex is at 100. any and all advice is much appriciated
  2. Aegis

Aegis Member

a few options
    - try to get a box from someone in their 90s in tinkering (does the carpentry level count? I've always sort of doubted it); check on IRC someone may be able to provide you this
    - lower your dex to 25. The test to gain point vs the test to see if you have a chance at this might be done using different values. It's a bit of a pain to do, but in about 20mins you should be able to swtich your stats using the camping method
  3. Red_Rover

Red_Rover Member

Things have changed a bit since that lockpicking guide was published and it hasn't been updated.

Another suggestion I've heard is to goto a thief guildmaster (Thera should be south of WBB) and train up the Detect Hidden skill. Detect Hidden will now effect Lockpicking (for every 20.0 in DH it adds 1.0 in LP). I would also lower your DEX like Aegis suggested and squeeze out as many gains as you can from the 50/50 box. Then try that GM box.

Hope this helps
  4. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Detect Hidden grants a 5% passive bonus to lockpicking on UOR.

Training Detect Hidden up to 30 or 40 should be enough to let you attempt the GM box. Once you can, work on it for 10 or so points of Lockpicking and then you can set Detect Hidden to go back down.