Lookin to start up on this server

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by GÜERO, Dec 20, 2016.

1. GÜERO

GÜERO New Member

Saw a bunch of old names from Pacific playing here, along with other servers.

We still currently play OSI and will continue to do so, but lookin for a change of pace. Going to have some learning curves going back to this era and seeing as how I was 12years old when it was around...

We would PvM to suit up, but primarily would focus on PvP...because that's all we really care about.

I have one other willing to play, and might get a third. Would that be enough to engage in PvP here? or should we look at joining up with another guild?

Are the fights fairly constant?
    BlackEye, Balgami and EndlessMike like this.
  2. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I will leave that to the more pvp-experienced people... however, he I can say you that a well-experienced team of three people can do most of the pvp here. Maybe factions could get tough, not sure about the situation right now.
  3. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

One of the fastest ways to get going would be to start a provo Mage (get provo to GM overnight and start farming)
    You will farm the money you will need for magery training within 2Hrs propably.

Most people play Stunmages for pvp here.
    Stun/Heal, Stun/Scribe, Stun/Tracking Templates are pretty flexible to use, and there is no high risk involved in playing them.

For the gear:
    - Join the Mages guild to get Reagents cheaper, start hoarding Reagents.
    - Get someone to craft you a bulk order of Leather Suits
    - Get a bulk order of potions (additionally Bandages)

Gold is easy to get, ONCE you know and where its done.
    But to get the money for all the Items needed, you will rougly need about 10 hours to get started (once your Provo is ready)

As for groups...
    There are a few bigger groups around, but it always depends on what youre looking for.
    There are groups around which will perform INCREDIBLY well with 2-3 people, but sometimes its also fun to join a bigger crew.
    Take a look and see what fits best for yourself ;)

Good luck guys!
    Vartazs and One like this.
  4. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

What Erza said.

Wouldn't hurt to have an alliance for big fights so you could join a side. Typical PvP here varies from 1 to 4 player encounters to 7+ fights. Past few months you can find a fight every night. If not just sit in Ice Dungeon farming Ogre Lords and one will come to you. Here Mind Blast is effective against unbalanced stats so keep that in mind. There are no magical clothes or jewelry here (invis, teleport, reflect). We have three main 'staple' wands G Heal, Mana Drain and Lightining. Purple tossing here is popular (no alch bonus). UOR is a great place to invest time. Tons of content. Server held CTF, 1v1, 2v2. Stable server with long periods of up time.
    One and eherruh like this.
  5. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  6. GÜERO

GÜERO New Member

I heard there is a TC were we can try things? If so, I think it would make more sense for me to see if I will even enjoy the PvP here by messing around on that server with my friends. In OSI standards we are very competitive, but going to this era the only thing really translatable will be our synch and xhealing. Other than that, wands etc will be a learning curve. and maintaining a mana pool relative to dumps

I assume a lightning wand would be much like the mystic spell trigger, used mainly as a quick kill shot. Am I close in that assumption?

a heal wand obvious can get off a non-casted heal on the run, but is there a timer or cool down?

are all wands instant in regards to the cursor? Or, is there a delay like you are casting?

Do ex pots track or stick to the tile?
  7. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

Basically.

They're kind of inefficient at actually ever doing that tho since wands only function at a 60 magery / 0 eval output level, but they work on the run which is the point - I suppose they're still worth their weight to bother carrying when you've got multiple players working together simultaneously to wand down a redlined straggler on the run lol (personally only rarely ever would find a use for them when out solo tho)

No idea what a mystic spell trigger is, but the example you've used there to connect the two is correct

0.5s delay for cursor - a hiccup if that when used while running full sprint (however too many consecutive wand taps will inevitably cause you to fall behind & lose ground in any type of run-down chase (or flee) scenario)

(edit; it may even only just be a 0.25s delay, cant remember)

They used to, but people couldn't handle the devastation & they got nerfed down to something that's only like half ass the potential of what could be & originally was

It will still heat sink to the target when thrown properly, but the actual explosion & when the damage triggers was changed to being a small randomizer window now - Against an opponent who's actually trying to fight back & not just screening everything you do to run away you shouldn't be able to notice any change, however vs the latter you'd be hard pressed to connect with even half of your throws if the target is in a full sprint b-line & has open room to keep running (assuming of course they're not logistically handicapped & don't get hung up running into every fuckin tree & tropical bird in their path)
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Descartes likes this.
  8. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

check out the test server

play with templates, combos, items, etc at no charge
    GÜERO likes this.
  9. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

Ladies and Gentlemen.. Ezekiel is in the building.
    Descartes likes this.
  10. Descartes

Descartes Well-Known Member

11. GÜERO

GÜERO New Member

Did I miss a joke?
  12. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

Not quite, more like outside in the parking lot just loitering until someone comes around & tells me to leave again

I just happened to of been around lurking as this got bumped & noticed that it hadn't been replied to yet, so figured i might as well lay some wisdom down on it before somebody else took it upon themselves to say some dumb shit that's far away from being an accurate response like what normally tends to happen in threads like these
    Descartes and Gideon Jura like this.
  13. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

He was a UOR staff member known as @Ezekiel Involved with the inception of UOR and probably/arguably the most knowledgeable of UOR mechanics. Some of the posters above are old Crew members ( -3- PvP guild).

If your looking for test center login info go here: http://www.uorforum.com/threads/uor-test-server.1844/#post-158057
  14. GÜERO

GÜERO New Member

I was planning on hopping in there with my buddies tonight after work
  15. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome to UO Renaissance Guero.

If you are looking for a more classic UO experience you will like it here.
  16. GÜERO

GÜERO New Member

More so I'm bored with the current meta on OSI. They are actually holding a public discussion on how to balance, but I'm sure most know how that usually pans out.

I also was too young to really get a chance to dive into this era. I started in beta of 96 but I was in 5th grade, so being competitive at that age was being a thief...

I got stuck working a double, so I'll hop on the TC server tomorrow. Cheers
  17. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

word