looking for noob friendly pvp focused guild

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by gugguratz, Oct 6, 2015.

1. gugguratz

gugguratz New Member

Hello, i've been playing here for a month now, and i managed to get settled with a house, some gold and 3 almost finished templates (res spells is a PITA).
    I used to play a long time ago on another shard. back in the days i was a total trammie because of 1- connection problems, 2- you needed a shitload of ridiculously OPd gear to even have a chance to win, 3- why am i even justifiying myself. I realize it's completely different here - in fact, that's why i joined.
    yada yada yada all my templates are pvp (LJ, stun mage, heal stun mage) cause that's the part of the game i'd like to explore for now. i dont even care about having a tamer or a bard. after all, farming with BS and EV is not that bad, plus, i prefer to do it in company anyway, so that i can bash those mofos with my LJ while someone else in the party takes care of the peacemaking and provocation. besides, i dont even need that much money, im spending it primarily in potions and reagents and i dont care about pixels (serously, what's up with sandals here?).

Anyway, since i totally suck balls at pvp, i was wondering if there's an active guild with pvp players willing to spar every now and then - meaning im looking for tips from the pros, and substantial practise sessions with the people that are on the same boat as me. When i get better i might (i'd love to, as a matter of fact) join pvp events, factions, CTF and all that (that's the plan anyway). Im also cool with pk guilds, even though i think i'd be more of an annoyance than anything else...

bottom line, i want to get aboard the pvp thing, and i need to practise as much as possible. bear in mind i do like pvm stuff as long as its cooperative, i just dont have it as my primary goal.

thank you in advance

Gugguratz / Gob / Zaph Bblbrx

Edit: european players would be a big plus
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    BlackEye and Alice Asteroid like this.
  2. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Welcome to pvp scene! I'll duel you anytime I'm on and not in the middle of something. I'm not that great either but I'll jump in and try. What time are you usually on? I'm EST usually 9-11pm but gaming time has been sporadic lately. Join a pvp group and just game that's the best way to get good... dueling builds timing 1v1 situational awareness skills but field pvp is a tad different. Faster paced and a lot more to keep an eye on while building team work pvp skills. Practice stunning and combos for field pvp. It's hard to kill another decent mage 1v1 here especially if they have wands. Most of the fights in the field here will not be 1 v 1.
  3. gugguratz

gugguratz New Member

I should have mentioned i'm european. I'm usually on 14 - 18 EST, sometimes even till 20 EST. I mean that's pretty much why im looking for a guild: you just log in, ask if anyone's on and do your thing instead of just waiting for the one dude that promised to fight sometime. The more active the guild the more likely i am to run into someone who wants to play. I did try to ask for fights on IRC but i wasnt very lucky - admittedly, probably because of the time difference. Today you're on, tomorrow you're busy, the next day you get married and so on... That's why i was specifically asking for a guild instead of just the occasional pvp buddy. There must be one, come on!

Thanks for the offer though, maybe we'll get to spar sometimes
  4. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

There isn't one. I tried to make one specifically for that purpose but everyone said they'd sign up "some day." That seems to be the theme with consensual pvp.

"Do you want to fight?"
    "Yes, but not right now."

Maybe you could start an IRC channel for this instead of a guild.
  5. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Give pk-ing a try.

I do not recommend trying to "organize" your pvp here.
  6. gugguratz

gugguratz New Member

i guess ill try pk-ing and just learn to appreciate those rare instances where i can practise with a buddy.

cool, thanks for the information.
  7. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

... just to add, here's some more random fragmented thoughts in no particular order of importance.

Figure out if you're going to put yourself out there and be known (your character, forum name, etc) in the pvp world or not.

Attend the pvp competitions, observe, take notes, do some networking. For the most part, the community is pretty chill during tournaments etc. Other times they're being raided with the intent to disrupt, which is fun to me as well. You want practice? Well, here it is.

Further introduce yourself to the taming community and apply what you've learned on them. They appreciate this very much. I mean, nothing says, "I love you" like flinging their body parts all over the walls of the dungeon while you scream ... Ahhh-loo-loo-loo-loo-loo-loo-loo-loo-! ;)

Start hoarding ..
    • wands
    • regs
    • leather armor
    • "that feels"
    • scrolls
    • pots
    Read this...

http://uorforum.com/threads/how-to-be-a-successful-pk.6871/

Research and nail down what your keyboard setup is going to be... SOON. Moving keybinds around sucks because relearning them blows.

... and lastly, lame or not. After you've set up your keybind / razor profile, take it to test center, head out to the woods, find "wandering healers" and light them up.
    When you get to the point where you burn them down without having to recoil (much) or take the defensive, you're ready to practice on real players.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Dalavar and BlackEye like this.
  8. gugguratz

gugguratz New Member

best advice ever! thanks man, i would've never thought of that!
    wylwrk likes this.
  9. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Welcome to UOR!

Starting right off as a pk might not be that easy at the beginning, so im suggesting to learn the basics first.
    This includes duels at brit against better enemys as well as trial and error on the field.

If you want to practice, just hit me up on IRC - im Eliore there.

Btw, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is an awesome novel, would love to meet Zaphod ingame.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    wylwrk likes this.
  10. gugguratz

gugguratz New Member

Erza i realized that starting out as a pk is not the best idea after reading PFR's guide. That seems pretty intense for a new player.

Me and my buddies got a small guild started, since we all share the same goal. We're going to do some recruiting too, and we will try with all our power not to turn this into just a farming group. As i said, fun, but not the main part of the game we're interested in.

I think we'll start contacting you guys to get some pvp practise every now and then. If you cant, no biggie: we can always happily bash each other - i had a blast today fighting with my LJ. Searching the forums i also realized there's a couple of lone wolves looking for the occasional practise buddy, so i might PM them as well.

As a side note, since i know for a fact that there have been vets looking for small groups of recruits, here's a simpler solution. Clearly, the biggest problem is arranging a schedule, but why would you even need one if you can count on an entire guild (well, admittedly, 4 people for now) always up for some learning? just join us as a "pvp trainer or something". More on this later on though, we got some recruiting to do first.

Now, moving on to more serious matters, i should really make more HHGTTG themed toons, and i need some ideas on how to make Zaph look like zapp brannigan as much as possibile in game. it's pretty obvious where the futurama guys got the inspiration from, and i like their adaptation much better than the live action movie
    Erza Scarlet and wylwrk like this.
  11. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Zapp Brannigan.jpg
  12. gugguratz

gugguratz New Member

boots and gloves would have to be white. also some yellow details on the outfit. maybe a yellow sash or something... a shorter skirt would also be nice. the color is spot on though
  13. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Uhm, good luck with that.

[​IMG]
  14. gugguratz

gugguratz New Member

look i was just saying, i didnt mean to come across as an ungrateful prick. your effort was very appreciated man!

also, nice meme usage
  15. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

you can hit me up anytime on IRC (Eliore) if you want to practice.