Looking for Thoughts - Donations/Artwork

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Alex Caember, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

Heya all!

In an effort to help raise additional donations for the King's Library, as well as the Great Council's quest/event fund (the pool which we use to reward new players for completing quests/missions/jobs, and when big enough to host events with prizes), I had an idea that I would really love some feedback on.

I am an artist and I am fortunate enough to get to work from home while making art primarily for 2D RPG type video games and mobile games. I was thinking I could put this to good use hopefully and offer something like character portraits for donations (so people get something tangible in return which can be used as a signature in the forum or icon or for whatever personal use you might have).

Another thought, which was really popular back in the day in the RP community on Atlantic, is making Magic-The-Gathering type cards for donors/the community in general - each card would have custom art for the character (or item, pet, monster, whatever you want), along with some stats (they can be arbitrary, or can reflect your in-game skills), and descriptor and quote.

Here are some example character cards:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

If the card idea is not to your liking, here are some examples of just the straight up character portraits (I based the cards off of these since I already had made the art):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In addition to the style seen above, I can also make more anime-style character portraits/pictures:

[​IMG]
    This is from a small Visual Novel resource pack I made for a Humble Bundle exclusive

[​IMG]
    This is the main image I use on my Facebook business page :)

[​IMG]
    This I made years ago, but still think it looks decent!

At any rate, I am very interested in any feedback on this idea - what you would be interested in, what you would expect, etc. If the idea is well-received, I would happily go ahead with it.

If the character cards are a popular idea, I would make them the size I displayed here. If the portraits are a popular idea, I will make high resolution versions, and can also make some re-sized ones if you wanted to use them in a signature or icon. I am not opposed to doing either for anyone who wishes them.

If the idea takes off, any donors can tell me what they want for their picture - what their character looks like, the stance they are in, any props, environments, etc. I reserve right to exercise artistic license :)

Thank you kindly!
    r3ckon3r, Dun Scaith, Pill and 13 others like this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

So as to keep the price of this service up to your discretion, I will pay you an undisclosed amount, of your choosing for the following card.

Although not a character card, but in the same format as those above:

Card name: Suflare Vitale! -Battle cry of Spiritwood

<INSERT AWESOME ARTISTIC INTERPRETATION OF JUPITER'S THOUGHTS HERE>

Type: Spell/Instant
    Cost 4 Green mana + X

Description: Add X 1/1 militia tokens to your battlefield where X is the total force behind your cry. All forces must attack any targets in random order this turn. Any surviving militia tokens are removed from battlefield at end of your attack phase

Caption: "Nothing rouses the forces like a good battle cry and a foolish grey wizard to follow." - Catalin of Paws
    Avery, PaddyOBrien and Alice Asteroid like this.
  3. M3THMOUTH

M3THMOUTH Active Member

Please give me a price so we can figure something out..
    I need a fluffly haired crack-headed looking magoo smoking a pipe with black teeth. Run it!
    Alex Caember likes this.
  4. Alex Caember

@Jupiter - Here you are my friend! :)

[​IMG]
  5. newme

newme Well-Known Member

I'd suggest talking with Telamon first. He's pretty tight about no real life gains for in game stuff, or other way. if he's ok with it, sounds fun

:)
  6. Alex Caember

@newme - An excellent point, I will talk to him about it first before doing anything else with the idea :)
    Jupiter likes this.
  7. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

My:
    1M check

For your:
    Picture of an angry cow.

Some pose ideas:
    Leading a herd of angry cows.
    Shooting laser beams from its eyes.
    Feasting on human entrails like a wolf.
    "Blue Steel"
    Stampeding
  8. Jupiter

unless i was mistaken, he was looking for ingame contributions, which i think is perfectly within Tela's free trade laws seeing how he is providing a clearly stated service and requesting only in game contributions for his services.

if he was asking for real world $$ i do think there would be complications.

@Alex Caember I'll meet with you to discuss a price. you sir have made my day! i am going to be throwing all of @Ragar's rags your way to pay for this.
  9. Jupiter

Alex i believe i have recorded Basoosh's Roberto the cow stories in the VOP Oral history if you need inspiration, but based on your perfect portrayal of my inner childhood dreams i don't think you'll have a problem.

by the way, what other thoughts did you see while you were meddling in my brain? should i feel violated? lol.
  10. Alex Caember

Regarding 'price' - there is no price. This is more of a way for me to say thank-you to people who have generously donated or are looking to donate. I am not selling the art for in-game gold (and I am certainly not selling it for real $$, that is already my day job and is unnecessary here :) )

@Basoosh - Challenge accepted, lasery-eyed cows feasting upon the entrails of humans is my specialty.

@Jupiter - Where is this oral history record anyway? I have seen it mentioned many times in the depths of the salty dog tavern sub-forum. As for other thoughts I have come across... well, wizard sitting sexily in a wind-swept meadow...
    Jupiter and Canis like this.
  11. Jupiter

it's one of the main threads under the Village of Paws guild thread. go to the guild section of forums and open up VoP at the bottom. i dont think you'll be disappointed by our historian. he never gets tired.
  12. Alex Caember

Need a pic! :)
  13. Alex Caember

Whew, those cows are ill-tempered!

[​IMG]
  14. Alex Caember

15. newme

newme Well-Known Member

My mistake :) thought you meant that in game things would bring items to real. Not in game items. sorry :-(

Yes VOP has many fine storyes :)
    Jupiter likes this.
  16. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

HOLY SHIT.
    Avery and Jupiter like this.
  17. Jupiter

he even captured Roberto's penchant for cow pies..... i mean puns

bwahahahaha!
  18. Alex Caember

I got word from Telamon that this is perfectly fine :) So if anyone else would like a card, let me know!

@M3THMOUTH - You have already done a ton and I wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for you, so just toss me a pic of Magoo without a mask (and toss a good quotation my way too), I will whip something up :)
    Jupiter likes this.
  19. M3THMOUTH

M3THMOUTH Active Member

This made me feel so good, not even been sarcastic.
    Much love Alex; I always enjoy our completely random conversations about random things.

http://imgur.com/dPWOLaM

You pick a quote, I could care less.
    Jupiter likes this.
  20. Mundungu !

Mundungu ! Member
    UO:R Subscriber

mmmmm soooo sexy indeed...

as thou can see from my profile mtg ftw.

i'll be in touch soon(tm), ig cash permitting i'll be glad to put one of your works as my avatar !
    :):):)