Looking to get started

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by tpopcaz, May 3, 2017.

1. tpopcaz

tpopcaz New Member

I'm thinking about giving the server a go and had a couple quick questions before I dive in.

How's the skillgain? I figure I'll make a provoked my first character, but after how are gains for imagery, taming and crafting skills?

How's the PvP? I'll most likely focus on PvP in the end. Are there good amounts of pks to fight? Are factions active?

Is there a good amount of custom content and events to do?
    newme likes this.
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Hiya!

I did a topic search of your questions on the main UO Renaissance website and came up with some interesting stuff.

It seems that magery is an expensive yet worthwhile investment and taming can take awhile but if you think about what you get when it's all over, most agree it's better than fair payoff.

It looks like crafting is up to your ability to collect resources... after that, it's a macro game.

PvP is always changing depending on when/who you ask. PvP is here and you'll find action during prime time every time. Factions could use a swift kick in the ass imo.

This server's custom content is a direct reflection of the developer's passion for UO. It's a meta game but once you get established you can walk right into it without too much trouble.

I searched for "fishing" and found this write up
    http://uorforum.com/threads/renaissance-blog-ancient-soss.1709/

Here's some guides about magery and what to expect training it (bottom right under "related links")
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/Magery

... and searching for taming skill will lead to similar results, and so on. Admittedly some of these guides could use replacing/updating so lastly I suggest joining IRC and chatting up with some of us.

There is ALWAYS someone on willing to answer questions (as best they can).
    Pekka, newme, Orion GM BD and 2 others like this.
  3. tpopcaz

tpopcaz New Member

How are Dexxers here? Can they beat mages? Are magic weapons hard to come by or drop on most mobs?
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

A dexxer can beat a mage, but in a typical scenario a skilled mage will usually win over a dexxer as mages have a higher skill ceiling.

Magic weapons are pretty common, and finding runic weapons that are better than vanquishing weapons isn't too hard either.
    Mandevu and newme like this.
  5. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to our crazy world. If you wish to just run around and explore after you leave Ocllo, I'd suggest making a "general character" one you don't care if dies lot. lol.. And just run or ride around the world. Many player communities, Rune library's, shopping areas scattered about the world.

Main thing, Have fun.
    Jill Stihl and wylwrk like this.
  6. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hello and welcome!

Skill gain is nearly the same as it was on OSI in the late 90s. The tougher skills (taming, cartography, lockpicking, discord) need some pretty intentional investment in order to level and master. *Most* other skills can be done by macroing, often multiple skills at the same time, or can otherwise be gained pretty readily once you know the meta and macros.

Making a provo-dexxer is very likely the best beginner character, as all the skills are easy enough to gain, can be used almost immediately in battle, and you can make money right off the bat if you are attentive. Good for funding further characters.

PvP is kind of all over the place. Do you want to fight reds in the wild? Do you want structured tournament style pvp? Do you want instanced PvP in areas and focused on games (capture the flag). Do you want faction level pvp? Do you want warring guilds pvp? Do you want player run pvp events?

If the answer to any or all of these is yes, our shard can meet those needs. PvP, in general, seems to go in seasons. At some points there is very little action, at other times the action is coming at you from every whichaway.

Mages often dominate overland pvp, as they have the ability to pre-cast and sync dump, and its just really tough to survive that initial assault. Dexxers do well in other pvp areas, and there are even some dexxer only pvp events.

Custom content is solid here. There is not a "ton" of it, but that is just so that it stays balances, imo. We have a good number of instanced areas (Amibs and level 7 treasure maps). We have some events that require prerequisites to be met (Tamer scroll quests) and then for every major holiday there is a large amount of custom content (start looking up and making your Night of Horrors characters now).

We also have an incredibly active player community that runs quests and events and a whole smattering of things. I think right now, as of this post, there is another one of our famous Fishing Tournaments going on thanks to @Zyler . The more RP driven players here just ended a months long quest line involving the Shrines and a deamon and a bunch of custom content. We have regular Resist parties hosted by guilds or single players in order to get gains in Magic Resist (these are free to attend). We have town invasions, scavenger hunts, crazy wizards leading groups of people to their deaths, you know, all the stuff you would want from a healthy and active player community.

Let us know if you have any more questions and we hope to see you in game!

Last but not least, make sure to join the IRC channel, as that is the best way to get questions answered and interact with the community in real time. There is a link on the UOR main page that will take you right to our IRC.

Cheers.

~Krake
    Jill Stihl, Pekka and Kalvasflam like this.