Looking to start here and just had a few questions?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Fullmetal, May 1, 2013.

1. Fullmetal

Fullmetal Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber
    UO:R Donor

I played UO:SA for about 2 years on and off (would take extended breaks) and i was told about this server by a friend there. My questions are as follows...

1. Can you start as a crafter here from scratch and not need a "gold farmer"?

2. Can you get rich through high end BoD's?

3. How active is the crafting community and are 100% crafters viable here?

4. Is afk crafting ok? (I understand afk resource gathering is not ok).
  2. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

#1. Yes you can can start a crafter here with no gold farmer. A lot of our new players farm ingots/boards and sell those to get going. If you wanted to build a crafter then you could just use those items.

#2. If you can acquire the necessary bods then you will easily get rich, however this takes a lot of time. As an example: I just paid 600k for a top tier bod dye (for a mask) from the tailoring bod rewards.

#3. You can definitely be 100% crafter. I'd recommend hopping in IRC and talking with players such as Darkwing (crafter/fisher guy) and Wu. They both run vendors and do a ton of crafting. SIDE NOTE: You can't buy boats here, they are crafted by players with enough skill (carp/tink/tailoring). They are also in the process of adding bod rewards for carpenters.

#4. To my knowledge AFK crafting is fine. We have an ANTI-AFK system that only comes into effect for resource gathering and afk selling of items. The system essentially involves a gump that will randomly appear on your screen. You have 1 minute to answer the question correctly (which of these is not like the others) if you fail to answer or answer incorrectly (a 2 year old could do this) you are sent to jail. For each trip to jail you will find an extended sentence.

Hope this helps and makes sense.
    We hope to see you ingame!
  3. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

I'm not sure I can answer this entirely, but if you were to sell your resources (boards, ingots, etc) to other players, combined with the BoD system you should have no problem getting a decent gold flow to support character development.

Assuming you're referring to gold, you certainly may. Here are the BoD reward charts for both tailoring & blacksmith:

Renaissance Bulk Order System
    Smith Rewards Chart
    Tailor Rewards Chart
    Tailor-BoD Gold Amounts
    Blacksmith-BoD Gold Amounts

Afk crafting is legal
  4. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

1) & 2) Another good way not mentioned yet is cotton/wool gathering. You can easily farm gold by creating tailored goods and selling to NPCs.

Cheers
  5. Fullmetal

Can you make money selling crafted items to npcs? (random example: selling an exceptional cloth shirt to a tailor vendor)?

Another thing i forgot to ask is, can you afk macro in towns (yes I realize that makes you a target) and is it possible to macro magery in town? (IE: do you take full damage from spells in town?)
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

As far as I know, DarkWing has made a fair fortune for his labors in the ways of crafting. He started back in Beta and may well have been the first shipwright on the shard! I play his instruments proudly as I brave the various perils of the lands.
    Being a shipwright, he's a natural seafarer if ever there was one. Quite experienced in fishing and the treasures that may be found hence.

Some various events aside, this has been the bulk of his play. You should see his fortress. :)

Definitely IRC, for the win. Great resource if you can filter through my ramblings.
  7. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

Yes you can make money via selling crafted items to npcs.

You can also macro magery in town, but you will take full spell damage. A 50/50 newb healer can help with that. As stated previously you can do a few runs to the cotton fields in glow/skara etc and have a nice stock of bandages to heal with.
  8. Fullmetal

I was thinking of this as my crafters build Arms Lore/Blacksmithing/Mining/Tinkering/Magery/Med/Tailoring
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

At present, that would be great for bulk order deeds on a single character. Carpentry BoDs are in the works I think, so you may want to keep that in mind. Arms Lore is a great skill for all the masks and sandals out there taking a beating. :)
  10. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome to Renaissance Fullmetal

You can learn about our anti afk gathering system here, unlike other servers the only punishment is a little jailtime, and only serious jailtime for repeat offenders.

As a craft this is your best friend, as it ensures that there is a stable market for bulk and processed goods here.

These activities just need to be monitored when being macro'ed
    • Mining
    • Lumberjacking
    • Fishing
    • Gathering Items
    • Attempting to place a house using automated means.
    • Shearing Sheep
    • Selling Items to NPC vendors.
  11. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

Welcome to UOR, Fullmetal. I think you'll find this to be among the most craft friendly places around.
  12. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  13. Samorite

Samorite Renaissance Game Master
    Renaissance Staff

All that aside its fun being able to have a run around without getting ya ass served to ya by a load of reds every time ya log in :D

Peeps will be happy to help ya on your way, as my learnerd friends have stated IRC is your best source for info/advice

Welcome to UOR hope to see you ingame

Samo
  14. Fullmetal

Thank you all very much for the warm welcomes :), I tried to be a crafter on UO:SA but it was just too flooded with competition.

I was debating about Carpentry so that i could make Add-ons but im not sure if i want to drop med for it later or not, plus i would need a second character for the Lumberjacking which could easily be a LJ-Dexxer but atm i would really only want to focus on the crafter.
  15. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Good luck! Welcome to UO:R and enjoy your stay!
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Also, you will find a drastic shortage of demand for crafted metal armor and weapons, for now. There are gears spinning to make a better market for these items, so expect that to change in the future. For now, best sellers are barbed leather armor (studded and non), house add-ons, furniture, scrolls and books.

Otherwise, there's always BoDs.
  17. qbradq

qbradq Member

Please note that selling items to NPCs has been balanced on this shard. You can't make a fortune selling E-Bolt scrolls to the NPCs, for example.
  18. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Selling the same thing over and over should reduce returns so be careful.
  19. Fullmetal

Well after some long thought im leaning towards Blacksmith/carpentry/mining/tinkering/magery/med/tailoring. And ill use a healing alt as my lumberjack.

Would getting rid of armslore be more viable in that case? Could also give the healing alt armslore I suppose. Any advice would be very appreciated.
  20. Fullmetal

Another noob question, are runebooks blessed (newbied) here?