Lumberjacking to GM with Melee

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Kexle, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Kexle

Kexle Active Member

So I tried reading guides on this and found a few posts from 2016. Someone said you can melee to 65 but it stops, others said you can GM but it takes "forever." Some people said it is so slow past a certain point it isn't worth it. http://uorforum.com/threads/can-you-gm-lumberjacking-with-melee.17363/#post-155828

I set out to test this. I have a miner who I wanted LJing on to kill elementals and hit them harder even with ele ban axes. He has GM Anatomy and GM Healing. I set up a simple healing macro to heal the character my miner was whacking. I set it up at 4 seconds, as quick as possible which becomes necessary when you start hitting harder shots, even when the wep wears a bit and even when the toon has full plate.

0-20 Store Bought

20-80 10,000-12,000 bandaids.

80-GM 23,000-25,000 bandaids.

~37,000 total bandaids were used.

I decided I could not time it properly since I did the entire thing AFK. This is something obviously you can't really do chopping trees, because of the AFK Resource Gump.

I collected all the bandaids and cut them myself so you shouldn't have to spend any money on this except to get platemail armor unless you can make your own like i did, or buying/making your own exceptional hatchets.

I went through about 20 exceptionally made hatchets and they each last about 2 hours.

As for the total amount of hours it took me. I don't know. That's why I used bandaids as a measure. I was AFK the entire time except to equip a new hatchet but often times like when I slept, it would wear off and probably go a few hours of me just wrestling the toon, which is why the bandaids used is estimated within a few thousand.

It took me 3 nights and 4 days. But again, I wasn't running the macro a full 24 hours each day.

This is a good option for people who don't like how boring cutting trees is and that you can't exactly AFK it. The downsize is you don't get thousands of boards to sell. If you don't care about that, this is a solid option for people. The amount of time and aids used will decrease, obviously, if you start at 50 skill, I did not.

Por Corp Wis Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Out of curiosity why exceptional hatchets instead of NPC vendor bought ones?

I would assume the exceptional hatchet damage is significantly more than the vendor bought ones and I would guess could possibly lead to an accidental death?

Also, you can VERY easily make your melee macro autoequip a hatchet at the start which would eliminate the "my hatchet broke while I was asleep and spent 6 hours wrestling phenomenon.

Just use the dress function/arm function (I think?). Its been awhile but should be easy enough to figure out.
    Kexle likes this.
  3. Kexle

Kexle Active Member

No it didn't lead to any accidental deaths because I had my healing macro set at 4 seconds the entire time, which was enough, esp considering the toon had full plate armor on. Most of the time that wore out while asleep though. But never had an accidental death. I'm sure you could make a melee macro autoequip a hatch at the start, but this was not something I did because I don't know much of anything about macros. Basically, I just didn't think of it at the time. I certainly welcome the ideas of other people to make this more efficient.

I did this in the most simple way I could think of. I was of the understanding exceptional hatchets lasted longer than store bought ones. But I suppose that doesn't matter if you have an autoequip macro on which in turn maybe you could use less bandaids if you don't hit as hard thus changing the pause timer for healing. However, there were no previous guides on this specifically so I just sort of winged it and put this together to show people it is indeed possible.

But yes, these are definitely different options people can do. I more wanted to test out generally how many bandaids it takes to do it and that it doesn't take a long time to do like previous comments have mentioned. A lot of people I spoke to about this on IRC didn't even think you could GM it with melee at all. So I wanted to test that as well.

I know there are probably more efficient ways people can concoct for this, but it was something I noticed that lacked info about GMing lumberjacking with melee. I feel like now people know you can do it, and know that it won't take you forever to accomplish, and you can do it primarily AFK. Those were the goals I had set.

Admittedly, it would have been better to just post this in Guides forum, so I just did that. Not sure why I posted it here, I just wanted to help people and give some knowledge.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Por Corp Wis likes this.
  4. JimmyTheHand

JimmyTheHand Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Regardless of how perfectly efficient this was done, it's nice to know that it CAN be done.

Thanks @Kexle !!
    Kexle likes this.
  5. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

Thank you for this! I may actually finish my lumberjack character now....
    Kexle and JimmyTheHand like this.
  6. Buga

Buga Well-Known Member

Thanks for the guide, I was not aware that it is possible!